Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

TT wheel bearings.

How often should you repack the wheel bearings on a TT? I've heard once a season, 12,000 miles or every two years. Not sure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood manual say yearly.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

it depends

on the grease you use, the seals you use, frequency of travel, climate, who did the job, whether it's 'never-lube' type bearings,

Manufacturers generally recommend annually or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. That is a good interval not only for the grease but also for the tire, wheel, brake, and related parts inspections that should be done with a bearing repack.

Some folks let it go for ten years or more.

The most likely risk is that of condensation inside the hub causing corrosion. With good grease properly installed and reasonable quality bearings and so forth, part failure isn't usually that high a risk.

Do make sure that your lug nuts or bolts are properly torqued after a bearing pack and rechecked after a half hour or so on the road. Recheck again after a half hour if they needed adjustment until they get set.

If you do your own being repack, take care not to over-tighten the hub nut nor to allow excess slop.

Use an IR thermometer on the road to check tires and hubs when you stop for breaks. Any temperature anomalies need to be investigated.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I think the 12000miles/1 year is a bit overboard. Look at how long you let the wheel bearings go on your car or truck. I repacked the front wheel bearings on mt F350 this year at 92000 miles when I put on new pads and had the rotors cut. The bearings and races were in great shape.

On my trailers, I will pull the drums and repack the bearing with a high quality high temperature grease every two years. Never had any brake or bearing issues.

ken
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I usually Hand Pack, is this still the most recommended method on bearings. Or has someone come out with a packing device worth looking into?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

I find the Lyle (Amazon) works well and is handy because it stores the grease in the cup - just put the dust cover on the thing and set on a shelf for the next bout with the bearings. It appears Harbor Freight has a similar one. These simplify things and reduce the mess somewhat. Some just use a ziplock bag while others are into the karma of a handful of grease being worked into the bearings with love and tenderness ( ;-) ) - some greases could almost work as hand lotion...

The Lyle says it can be used in a bench press to push the grease through the bearing which might be an idea if a bit of pressure by hand is a problem.

I usually clean bearings with diesel or kerosene and then final clean and inspect with brake clean (spray can). Only when I have clean bearings that pass inspection do I load them up with new grease.

Around here, the bearing pack schedule is 2 or 3 years. See Bearings - which will get an update this year if everything turns out as planned.

The bearing seals have an interesting variety, too. I use single sided double lip that LCTP sells for less than I find most elsewhere. (they seem to be down for maintenance right now, though. The local auto store wants an arm and leg for 'em.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the great advice! I think I can go one more season then pack the bearings.