Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

TT with outside Kitchen

I am looking at new campers. We have a pop up now and looking at a new TT this spring and I do all the cooking outside now over a fire, grill or dutch ovens. What are your thoughts on a outside kitchen? Any problems that always keep coming up?
thank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

From an earlier post------
We have an ODK, tall fridge w/a freezer bay, sink, 2 burner stove, cabinets. After 4 yrs, its hard to imagine camping without it.

We cook outside alot so it holds the day's grillables, kids drinks, adult bevs. We also freeze 14 or so bottles of water daily for use as ice on the boat or coolers.

Nice to have the convience of the sink to wash hands while cooking, etc. It keeps folks from going in and out all day.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Love the outside kitchen, a must have. We do our fair share over the fire and in the Dutch oven but the kitchen is the best. The grill is part of it, the 2 burner stove, the sink, fridge, cabinet and tv. Drawbacks, if it is in the 20's or 30's in the AM the wife wants to stay in and use the inside kitchen. Also do wish it had a full awning over it but we put up a tarp if it rains.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #4

Love our Winnebago 2201DS with outside kitchen. Ours has a small bar fridge, 2 burner stove and sink.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Our surveyor 295 has one and its awesome! Only problem that I have encountered is the previous owner did not let the outside fridge air out and it of course got that musty smell. I had to put coffee beans and let it air out for 3 days until it went away. But it made me realize that I can't store it immediately after camping because you can't crack that outside fridge door without opening the entire outdoor kitchen compartment. A little annoying but I still love it. Oh and the access door for the outdoor kitchen is pretty low when opened up. I'm 5'8" and I can just barely stand under without having to duck. My head actually rubs a little. My dad is 6' and he can't stand under it.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

Biggest issue with an outside kitchen is that the fridge is 110V. Unless you have a dedicated set of batteries for it with solar then you will always need elec hookups. That would eliminate about 95% of the CG's we go to. Other than that they're a nice option. The thing to do IMO is replace the tiny fridge with a 3 way type and run a propane line to it.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

The ODK is a great feature. Ours is under the awning, so no issues with that. I think it's a near must-have feature for us with kids and dogs.
The fact that it's a 110v is no problem. We mainly use it for drinks and once it's all cold, it stays that way a looong time. We went cross country for three weeks and between having electrical hookups at night and a generator, it never got warm. We keep perishables inside when traveling and then move a few items in or out as needed.

I have seen some designs that I shy away from, like sinks that are just a bowl with no drain, or cold water only. I will say that the fridge needs airflow to have a long happy life, so I think it's important to crack open the kitchen "door" any time you can. Also, there is some heat that comes off the fridge, so the area above it inside can get warm. In our case, that's a bunk bed. So not ideal if it's summer, but not really a problem.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
But it made me realize that I can't store it immediately after camping because you can't crack that outside fridge door without opening the entire outdoor kitchen compartment.
I had a similar concern. I do try to let mine defrost all the way and dry it with paper towels. But if it's even slightly damp, I fold up a sheet of paper towel and wedge it in the fridge door to keep it cracked. Then close the ODK door and it's got enough air flow to prevent any issues.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting discussion. Even though I have had trailers for years, I still cook mostly outside, just because I enjoy it. I just put my ancient Coleman stove on a table, and the Dutch Ovens generally end up near the firepit. I like the flexibility to cook away from the trailer. My awning is about 16 foot long, and I wouldn't like giving up any space to a kitchen. I even made sure my current trailer didn't have either the stove or refrigerator exhaust on the awning side :-)
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
My awning is about 16 foot long, and I wouldn't like giving up any space to a kitchen.
I agree. Some setups are that way, but I have a 19' awning on a 23' trailer so it's all under there, which means I can cook outside even in the rain. And the inside kitchen is on the other side, so no vent or other appliance panels either. Obviously the gas grill swings back to keep the smoke away, but the grill and the 2 burner stove run off the house propane, so no propane bottles to deal with, just the quick connect hose seen below the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Richmond Hill-20140402-00820.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	650.9 KB
ID:	78009  
Old 11-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I have an outside grille and a Coleman stove, and get along fine with that. I would like the outside kitchen and a bigger grille, but what I have works OK. Next TT will have the outside kitchen.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote