RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Turn off that water pump! And a short rabbit hole...

We have always turned off our water pump while set up any time everyone leaves the camp site. We were told to do this in case a leak developed the pump would not run the tank dry while flooding the RV.

Last week after setting camp, I decided, at the last minute, to stay back when everyone else left. Good thing too, because we forgot to shut off the water pump.

A few minutes of peace & quiet were interrupted when I heard a loud SNAP and the sound of rushing water. I knew immediately knew what had happened and what had caused it. I leapt to the pump and shut it off after maybe one gallon.

The loud noise was the case for the water filter (right after the pump- all the pressure you could want!) cracking open with a vertical split.

So- if you don't already- TURN OFF THAT PUMP when unattended.

And now for the rabbit hole-

Plumbing has to be one of the most difficult things to repair in the field. I was pretty prepared with some of that wettable magic tape, stretchy tape, a TON of clamps. It took all of this and more to splice (I basically pulled the filter out completely and was left joining pex to reinforced flexible. I think it is impossible to be over-prepared for plumbing repairs. DO YOU HAVE A TOOL TO CUT THOSE PEX CRIMPS? side cutters are not as good as you might hope.

A little deeper down the rabbit hole...

This gave me a chance to replace the KW1 filter installed at the factory. I spent $20 for the filter system and $12/2 pack for a replaceable filter (mid grade) at Home Depot. So long to expensive water filters!

Just a little further down...?

How did I know what it was immediately? Because last fall we got an early freeze and I blew a few lines, fittings that had to be replaced. The filter housing was solid ice, but with the filter in place, I thought maybe that saved me from cracking the case. I visually inspected it and decided it was okay. I always felt weird about that decision and knew it was a bad one when I heard that sound.

Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #2

Nov 2006 picked up our New 5th wheel. Hit the road for FT Travel in April 2007.
For 30 + yrs of RVng we had always used the CG spigot for water supply and had only put a few gallons in fresh water tank for traveling (except for boondcking.then full tank and pump)

May of 2008 we woke up to a flooded living rm/kitchen....over 2" standing water and it was pouring out under the slides. Flooded our CG site and two others (Devils Tower)
We always used a water pressure regulator set for 50# (Static)

A fitting on the HOT out of water heater had broken/line come off and water sprayed out for hours/hours.
(Found parts of fitting......it cracked. Probably from a 'gorilla' using channel locks to tighten on factory floor)

1/2 day squeegeeing/wet vacuuming/mopping/ripping carpet-padding out and then using blowers to dry out PLUS the 2 weeks for repairs and $6000 in costs we decided NEVER to use city water hookup again
Fresh water tank/pump and pump gets turned off when:
*we go to bed
*we go sightseeing
*we go for a walk
*we go outside---period

Just flip the switch....DONE

That was 10 yrs ago and we have been very happy with the pump.
Consistent pressure/steady flow rate regardless of where we go

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #3

Had to replace a valve on my daughters trailer. Side cutters wouldn’t cut the pex crimps but a 13” bolt cutter handled the job just fine. Small enough to get into behind the water heater and strong enough to be able to cut with one hand. As far as plumbing supplies I’m not sure how much is enough but spare valves, pex pipe, pipe thread sealant, hot water tank pressure valve, hot water tank plug, plumbers putty, silicon sealant and a wye valve are some of the stuff I carry.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Nov 2006 picked up our New 5th wheel. Hit the road for FT Travel in April 2007.
For 30 + yrs of RVng we had always used the CG spigot for water supply and had only put a few gallons in fresh water tank for traveling (except for boondcking.then full tank and pump)

May of 2008 we woke up to a flooded living rm/kitchen....over 2" standing water and it was pouring out under the slides. Flooded our CG site and two others (Devils Tower)
We always used a water pressure regulator set for 50# (Static)

A fitting on the HOT out of water heater had broken/line come off and water sprayed out for hours/hours.
(Found parts of fitting......it cracked. Probably from a 'gorilla' using channel locks to tighten on factory floor)

1/2 day squeegeeing/wet vacuuming/mopping/ripping carpet-padding out and then using blowers to dry out PLUS the 2 weeks for repairs and $6000 in costs we decided NEVER to use city water hookup again
Fresh water tank/pump and pump gets turned off when:
*we go to bed
*we go sightseeing
*we go for a walk
*we go outside---period

Just flip the switch....DONE

That was 10 yrs ago and we have been very happy with the pump.
Consistent pressure/steady flow rate regardless of where we go
Yup same here... pressure surge causing regulator to fail,then split/separated several connections... totaled out the RV... NEVER AGAIN!
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #5

Interesting post... never thought of turning pump off but it raised a question for folks that do...
Does this mean you never connect to city water even when available or do you turn that off for all those situations as well.
Just curious.
I do make sure I disconnect shore water and turn off everything except the fridge & batty charger when leaving our boat for more than a few hrs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We turn off pump/city water whenever we are away from the RV. Even for a few minutes. Kind of a hassle, but better than what some have experienced.
Awning comes in too, if we leave for longer periods of time.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

We turn off the water pump when not using the water, even when we are in the rv. So, yup, a bit of a pain to turn on the pump but good insurance. Oh, the one gallon pressurizing tank himself installed keeps enough for a quick flush or hand washing w/o pump on. ��
Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #8

We use the tank and pump for similar reasons. What puzzles me is the folks who want a silent pump! ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

To the OP- I am like you. After it happens once, you never leave the pump powered up. Hose clamps, hose tape, extra lengths of hose and a couple different sizes of hose splices. Have never had to break into the stash for personal use, but have used it twice to help others out.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
DO YOU HAVE A TOOL TO CUT THOSE PEX CRIMPS? side cutters are not as good as you might hope.
Yes I do. I used to do a lot of plumbing so I have a pair of crimpers (both ½ and ¾) and a tubing cutter. Do I carry them with me? No I don't. Do I turn off the pump when we go away? No I don't.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Interesting post... never thought of turning pump off but it raised a question for folks that do...
Does this mean you never connect to city water even when available or do you turn that off for all those situations as well.
Just curious.
I do make sure I disconnect shore water and turn off everything except the fridge & batty charger when leaving our boat for more than a few hrs.

NEVER connect to city water again..since 2008
Top off fresh water tank upon arrival, use pump while there then fill tank again prior to leaving.
Got caught ONCE with just a few gallons in tank....place we went to didn't have water due to main line broke. So we had to buy gallons of water for the week.
Last time I traveled w/o a FULL fresh water tank.

Tank/Pump exclusively....as originally intended
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Just curious.
We hook up to city/RV park water only long enough to re-fill the fresh tank, (use in-line water filters every time)
Then dis-connect the hose from the faucett, and store... Have had a "helpfull neighbor" thinking we forgot to turn the water on ... turn it on while we were gone.... had no issues, but did learn a lesson.. out of sight out of mind so to speak..
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We turn off the switch while traveling. Conveniently we now have multiple pump switches by all water faucets and bathroom. However, our first MH on our maiden voyage, was interesting. The next morning, apparently the drain line from the fresh water tank was installed incorrectly and came loose while driving to our first RV park, 10 miles away. Well, it leaked out all night and got up in the morning to step on to wet carpet, (yes carpet as this was a new class C in 1978) and find a few inches of water throughout the rig! Arghhh!!! After checking all I could, I discovered the drain line detached from tank! MH, was new and 3 days old to us!!! Fortunately the dealer did the right thing and replaced the floor and some wood framing around dinette seats as I was ready to return it for another unit. Therefore, to this day, I walk thru and inspect all connections while at every setup!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #14

We had only been camping a couple years and I had never given a thought to shutting water on or off either from a CG pedestal or the on board pump when I awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of running water. Fearing the worst I ran outside to shut the water faucet off when I realized my camper was not the problem. The camper next to me had water running out the front door. I ran around to the faucet and shut the water off and not knowing where the source of the leak was I grabbed the power cord and unhooked the power to the camper. I then banged on the back window of the camper and hollered for the occupants to get up. They had a leak. I could hear all sorts of commotion when the feet hit the floor. Out they came but they still didn't realize what was happening. They didn't appear to be too happy with me at first. When the dust settled they checked everything electrical and plugged the power back in. Thankfully the converter was far enough above the floor it wasn't submerged. There were no appliances on the floor and no extension cords.
These poor folks spent a lot of the rest of the season tearing things apart and repairing damage.
The following season when we went up to open our camper up for the season the camper next to us was gone. The following weekend there was a brand new camper in it's place. The owner told me his insurance company covered the majority of the damage but the walls had started to pull away from the floor and the floor was heaving so he traded it in and bought new.
Now I shut my water off when leaving only for a short while. At night I shut the city water off if I'm connected and run off the on board tank and the pump. The city water gets turned back on in the morning and the water tank gets a shot of water if it's needed. My pump switch is near the bathroom door so we usually turn the pump off when sleeping. My pump is located in a compartment under the floor next to the bed. It's noisy enough so it might wake me if it was running continuously but there are no guarantees. I try not to chance it.
Lynn

Tags
water, water pump