Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
TV entertainment without a Dish

Hey everyone just wanted to pass this on even though some of you may already be aware.
Just picked you a new HD TV for my TT and it mentions MHL (Mobile Hi-Definition Link) this uses a HDMI to micro USB plug adapter (from 6.50 to 25.00 depending where you shop) that let you hook your cell phone to your TV for viewing in HD (If your phone is). It's a lot faster (for thoughts overnight stops) than setting up your dish for DirecTV (my service) in other words anything you can view on your phone you can watch on your HDTV and control it also. I can view for an example History channel, ABC, USA and SyFi well pretty much my DirecTV programing package if there's an app. for that chancel. Beware it's using Data if you have unlimited great if not beware.

guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Chrome Cast... Plugs into TVs HDMI and USB (For Power) ports.. Connects to my in-house (motor home) router, My Phone does as well.. And works great.

HOWEVER not every video can play on it....I plan on a slice of Pi,,Raspberry PI that is.. Should solve that problem.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Chrome Cast I hear is ok but if you don't have something saved on a device you have to pay to stream it?
A similar product is Roku with it's Roku Streaming Stick they advertise and review over 1000 plus channels and rising but there is a cost for their listener and I guest you'd need a internet connection.
On Chrome Cast you mention not all Videos will play is that because their copyright protected?
Sorry to my self getting a little off MHL post by the OP, Oh that's me. we're all trying to get good, quick and easy entertainment.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Chromecast basically just projects whatever is on your browser, onto your TV. So if you can see it on your screen in Chrome, then you can put it on your TV.

So you can stream whatever is on the streaming sites, like Hulu, Netflix, Fox.com, etc. onto your TV.

But all such things gobble up data. You might be better off just getting a USB broadcast TV antenna and get over-the-air TV onto your laptop and then send that to your TV with the Chromecast. That wouldn't use any data.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
Yes I'm one of those who kept their $30.00 unlimited data plans and I'm grand fathered in with my plan and I've upgraded my phone twice.
Don't get me wrong I'm a Directv subscriber sense the 90's setting upmy dish takes a few minutes I just wanted to share.
Yes the Roku is like Chromecast but with some free access also.