Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

TV for RV?

Hello all... Football season is coming so I need to install a small TV for the TT. Any recommendations on which models to look at and which to avoid? Also tips on mounting are welcome. Also, are most of you experts just picking up what you can locally with antenna, or is some dish subscription the way to go. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Skyline Owners Group
I went with a 24" element tv from Walmart and the one I bought it turns out that it is a 12vdc tv with a adapter to run on 120 ac I also bought a blue ray player from Walmart. The antenna is a king jack which I have been pleased with. I also use a tv towers app on my phone to help locate stations in the area. The blue ray player is great when there are no stations available.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Insignia brand TV's (Best Buy) often come with an external voltage adapter 110VAC to 12VDC, so these TV's can run on shore power or battery power as you have available.

Only you can decide if broadcast TV will fill your needs.
It does not work for us, and on-demand television is still not ready for RV'rs because of mobile data gaps, costs, and poor public WiFi options...leaving SAT.

We have Dish, Pay-As-You-Go. To us Dish has the best prices, the most affordable receivers for our needs, and High Def TV on the least expensive and easy to use antennea...YMMV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewild View Post
I went with a 24" element tv from Walmart and the one I bought it turns out that it is a 12vdc tv with a adapter to run on 120 ac I also bought a blue ray player from Walmart. The antenna is a king jack which I have been pleased with. I also use a tv towers app on my phone to help locate stations in the area. The blue ray player is great when there are no stations available.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
We also have the 12 volt adapter TVs. We also have the 12 volt adapter blu Ray so the grandkids can watch DVDs while going down the road without running the generator.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #5

Really any TV that suits your needs and space is fine. There are "RV TVs" that claim to handle the vibrations of an RV better but that's just marketing fluff.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Start with a powered, digital over the air antenna. You can get a real nice one for under $100. With that, if you are not too far from a city or metro area, it isn't uncommon to pick up over 25 channels. For many people that works just fine.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 32' Samsung from Costco, King HD TV antenna and a DISH set up. My DISH account has my Wally included for $7 per month and uses the same programming as home. When I get to a campground, I call DISH and have them change my service zip code to that of the campground to get the locals. If not able to get a satellite signal, I then try the King antenna. Last resort, try the campground cable system.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #8

We bought ours at Wally World 26". Price was good and on sale. I use the Jack antenna head (replaced the weingard antenna) Works good, but whatever you get, When you move you will probably have to do a search for stations, just takes a few minutes to locate the local stations.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Why a "small" TV? I suggest (within reason) as big a TV as will fit. Not that much difference in watts or weight.