Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Tv mount question

I bought a new Shadow Cruiser and it came without a TV. It has a unit where it has a mirror on one side and able to mount a tv on the other so you can swing it around and watch TV from the kitchen area or in the master bed.
My question is, there is a label stuck on the bottom center of the space that says "place tv mount here." I knock on it and it does sound like the stud is down there in the center. How can you mount there when all Tv's have their mount on the center to top of the TV? Any suggestions?
Lefty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

Can you get access to a unit that has the TV mounted to see what they use for a mount ? Some times they are custom built.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Not sure I can, I guess I could try.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Has the manufacturer posted any interior pictures on line ? Could save a trip.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #5

Not sure what the construction of your unit is but if it has a metal backer for the TV mount inside the wall, a good magnet will locate it for you.
bagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Anybody have a Shadow Cruiser or experience this before?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #7

My wife and also just bought a Shadow Cruiser 280QBS. I bought a swing out TV mount at Best Buy, one for a 24" TV, and even though the TV mount came with 2 screw holes, I drilled out 4 more and used 3/4" screws to attach to the backside of the mirror. Be sure to offset the mount, so when you push it back in, it's centered in TV mount location. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post for you.
dempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Modern TV's wall mount with a "KIT" that, depending on the kit either has swing arms or two sets of splayed "Arms" that attach to the TV and Wall. Check out the mounts, One of them may do what you need. or be easily modified to what you need.

Option 2: You lay like a 2x6 or 1x6 (Depending on the tv) up against the wall and bolt it in place to the stud with decent lags and mount the TV mount to them (you may need two). They will be hidden by the TV when done.

But you start by going to Best Buy (Or your favorite TV store) and looking at the mounting kits.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempen View Post
My wife and also just bought a Shadow Cruiser 280QBS. I bought a swing out TV mount at Best Buy, one for a 24" TV, and even though the TV mount came with 2 screw holes, I drilled out 4 more and used 3/4" screws to attach to the backside of the mirror. Be sure to offset the mount, so when you push it back in, it's centered in TV mount location. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post for you.
That's exactly what we got, the 280QBS. We took it out for a quick weekend trip and has two problems so its back at the dealer now. The popout would not go back in and the fridge took 3 days to get cold enough. Hope they can fix these issues.
Did yours come with that white sticker labeling the bottom of where to mount it? We're you ok mounting it higher or what did you do? So far I picked up a simple $10 mount from Best Buy as I don't think we'll need to manipulate it and move it around.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #10

No, ours did not have a sticker. But I am having the same slide out issue. 3 trips so far, and each time the slide out starts coming in and stalls. I gently pushed from the outside while my wife pushes the switch and it then is able to go back in. I called my dealer the first time and he thought I had a weak battery. I had used it all week at a dry camp, so I let that time go, but now I need to get it fixed.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Sorry, forgot to answer your second question. I mounted it pretty high up and to the right side. The mount was not centered at all, so when I swing it in, the TV is centered. I wanted the swing out so you could plug cords in easily. We also found out that even though the TV mount pivots, it's nice to swing the TV out to watch it at the mega lounge, better viewing angle. I'll post pics of that tomorrow as well. I also upgraded the radio below to the Jensen AWM975 which fits in the same spot but gives you a DVD player and simple HDMI connection to the TV. The other thing I did was plug the TV headphone output to the new radio AUX input, do you can hear TV with RV speakers. You can actually hear it when the AC is running now!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #12

That's hilarious, your story is almost identical to ours. We just got ours, went on a quick trip and when we went to leave couldn't get the damn pop out in. Went about 6" then would just stall. We started shitting bricks cause we didn't know how we would get it home. I forgot to mention, its not a battery issue cause we has full hook ups. After about 15 tries I went out and pushed while the wife did the button and worked. It's at the dealer now, so I'm curious what they tell us.
For your tv mount, is love to see your pics. Did you install it yourself or dealer? Did you have to locate a stud or just put it wherever?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

Okay, here are the pictures of the TV mount I installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2965235573.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	45606

Name:	image-4237513298.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	45607

Name:	image-1936912487.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	45608

Name:	image-3105340529.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	45609

Name:	image-2183617395.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	45610

Name:	image-3550173717.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	45611

As you can see, I use a flat bungee cord to keep the TV in place during traveling. I also made the assumption after measuring the thickness of the frame, minus the inside depth, that there must be a 3/4" plywood, or particle board which supports the mirror and the entire TV mount frame. All six 3/4" wood screws were solid when I screwed them in. I did not hit any empty space when I pilot drilled the holes or attached the TV mount. Good luck! Let me know what your dealer says about the slide out. I need to get mine fixed before my Jeep Jamboree trip the first of Oct.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #14

Thanks for the pics, that helps me out. I'll go to Best Buy to check out that mount, what brand and how much was it? Dynex?
I'll let you know what the dealer says about the pop out. There is supposed to be a hidden manual way of cranking it by hand in case of emergency, so I asked them to find it and let me know just for peace of mind.