Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 AM   #1

TV Signal Strength

Getting ready to order a Sensar IV to replace the lousy tv antenna on our 2015 Grey Wolf. I know the Sensar Pro Signal Strenth Meter is a great product, but, since we have OTA TV at the house also, it would be nice to have a portable unt to use in the RV and Home. Any input ???

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First the SENSAR pro is much much more than a signal strength meter. Though I do admit it's a darn good one of those as well (I am looking at one as I type this).

The Television itself has a signal strength meter built in.

Assuming your HOME TV antenna rotates. Do as follows.

Option 1 (The hard way) Go to each channel you can receive. and tune the TV to it. Then go to antenna pointing, this will tell you the station's BROADCAST channel.. WRITE THAT DOWN NOTE: for sub channels like 3-1, 3-2 You only need to check Channel 3=anything. (All the -1-2-3 or .1.2.3 will be on the same broadcast channel).

Now to aim the Antenna jsut go to antenna pointing, select teh croadc ast channel you need, and rotate for peak.

Example of why you need to make a chart.. Channel 7 in one place I park is really channel 7, as is 13.. But in another palace I park Channel 7 (7-1,7-2,7-3) is really channel 46 at the antenna.

Option 2 (The easy way)
There is an application for Android phones, may be for Inferior Operating System phones (IOS)( as well do nto know, ANTENNA HELPER FREE.

Run it, and get the LIST mode. IT will tell you what is where.
That is
Where the tower is Physically
Where it is in relation to yhor location
AND where on the channel chart they transmit.

Far easier than making your own lilst.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First the SENSAR pro is much much more than a signal strength meter.

I know that it has gain control for stations that are too close, but it is just a signal strength meter.

If you want a meter that is somewhat portable, you might try a SureLock. SureLock | KING
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #4

Why not get one of these?
Winegard Rayzar Automatic - Automatic RV Antenna
Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Another nice tool for your TV viewing toolbox is to use a web site antennaweb.org to look at what TV stations are available where you are going to camp and where they are so you know where to point the antenna and have an expectation of how strong or weak they are and how many there are.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TVfool.com gives you everything in location of antennas to distance, channels and strength. Just need location your at.
"DTV Antenna" Andriod App works even easier.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Option 2 (The easy way)
There is an application for Android phones, may be for Inferior Operating System phones (IOS)( as well do nto know, ANTENNA HELPER FREE.

Run it, and get the LIST mod

Do they make one for the (Poison) Apple products?

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know what is out for Inferior Operating System products (IOS=Apple) but In this case I believe someone said they did.

The Sensar Pro is all of the following:
A scanner, finding the strongest TV signal in your area
A signal meter.. You can let it choose the signal to mesure or you can
A "Lister" which lists all the carriers found (See note)
A SWITCH choosing Cable or OTA
A variable gain Amplifier/Attuentator IT can both cut down on signals too strong and add additional amplifiction to weak signals.
A power supply for the mast heat amplifier
A splitter

it also has the ability to give you an AUDIO indication of signal strength.

I think that covers it all.. NOTE that it will NOT work with many home TV antennas unless you know how to block the DC as the antenna can appear as a SHORT at DC... Many do. THough I'm nto sure all do.. (I build my own antennas for some frequencies thus am familiar with antenna design)

But for In-home use, since you do not need to scan and re-scan for channels, a simple "This channel chart uses this broadcast channel" chart and the TV's signal strength meter is all you need.

Use the Sensar Pro in the RV with a Sensar IV on the roof, Designed to play nice together.