Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #1

Twin Yamaha generators won't run my A/C

I am trying to figure out where my problem lies. I have 2 Yamaha 2000 watt generators and the link cable. When I attach them to my trailer everything works up until the point I try to run my A/C. When I turn the knob on my A/C controls the following happens...

1. nothing, no sound or surge, no trailer fuses blown or breakers tripped.
2. the generators stop sending power to the coach
3. If I disconnect everything and wait 5 minutes I can reattached the coach and there is power.
4. There is an overload button on the generators and that was not tripped. Why?
5. If I try the A/C again the same thing occurs.

Notes and my attempts at troubleshooting.

Previous to this problem I used these generators to run the A/C unit and they worked, both in my trailer and in another trailer (Toy Hauler) that belongs to a friend. Not sure what changed.

My A/C unit runs fine off shore power. I even tried running the A/C off a 15 amp circuit at home and had no issues.

So what is going on?

Seems like the generators are overloading and going into some type of protection mode. Like I said earlier the overload button was not tripped on the generator.

The owners manual is useless and says nothing.

I took it to the motorcycle dealer where I purchased them because I am still under warranty and they said they can't duplicate the problem. Of course my trailer is not at the dealer for them to play with. They said they attached the generators to a wall A/C unit they had in their service area. The service guys want to help but they don't know what to do to test them. They still have the generators and said they are trying to figure it out. It has been 3+ weeks since I left the gennys with them.

What should I do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 05:04 AM   #2

According to the manual I found online (not sure of exact model), in the event of an AC overload, nothing does trip. Instead it just stops AC output, a green light goes out and a red light comes on, but the motor keeps running. Take a look at page 10: http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/EF2000iS_manual.pdf

If it worked before, I'm guessing that one of them is having some sort of problem with the overload circuitry and quitting on the other, thus causing it to go into overload. It is unlikely that there would be a simultaneous failure. There may also be a bad connection in the link cable allowing the load to be shifted to or just detected by one before the other. If one bugs out, the other one is forced to.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
According to the manual I found online (not sure of exact model), in the event of an AC overload, nothing does trip. Instead it just stops AC output, a green light goes out and a red light comes on, but the motor keeps running. Take a look at page 10: http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/EF2000iS_manual.pdf

If it worked before, I'm guessing that one of them is having some sort of problem with the overload circuitry and quitting on the other, thus causing it to go into overload. It is unlikely that there would be a simultaneous failure. There may also be a bad connection in the link cable allowing the load to be shifted to or just detected by one before the other. If one bugs out, the other one is forced to.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that does help. I guess I was looking at the DC overload. I don't recall if the red light lit up, it was a bright and sunny day in the desert.

How do I help the dealer figure this out? Them saying they can't duplicate the problem spells doom for me. I really hope they figure this out but they are not an RV dealer.

Hauling my TT down there would prove difficult. It is a independent motorcycle dealer and there is nowhere for me to pull in my trailer. They would have to be willing to allow one of their technicians to go for a ride with me to find an open space in the city and hook it up to the generators.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Saw this on another RV site. Way way cheaper than buying a 2nd gen.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

Yamaha corporate told the Yamaha dealer these generators have trouble with loads over 18 Amps.

That is crazy based on how they market these to RVers.

120 Volts times 18 Amps is only 2160 watts from generators rated at 4000 Watts max and 3200 Watts continuous. Very disappointing. I am waiting to see what they want to do.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:52 AM   #6

You may want to try the generator set up on someone else's rig, just in case there might be a problem with your AC. The fact that it worked before is puzzling. Maybe the AC is drawing more start up load than it should.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
You may want to try the generator set up on someone else's rig, just in case there might be a problem with your AC. The fact that it worked before is puzzling. Maybe the AC is drawing more start up load than it should.
I will try that if and when I get them back. I requested the dealer file a claim with Yamaha and we will see how they respond.

I talked to a good friend of mine that is an electrical wiz, he runs the power grid and is a former nuclear reactor operator, he knows his stuff.

He said the generator ratings are optimistic at best and that he suspects the inverter is not working properly since it used to work. But even if it was working the generators are not very strong due to the "power factor". He said Yamaha is not acurately representing the effect of the "power factor" when marketing these to RVers.

He also said it sounds like the dealer doesnt have to right equipment or know how to diagnose or test them. They tried using the generators to test them and don't have any test equipment.
The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Sounds like you have the right man for the job now.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Long shot at best but try starting your A/C fan only first and after it starts, kick the thermostat down to start the compressor. It may be just enough to keep the surge down a bit.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you trying to run the generators in ECO or normal mode. To run our 15K A/C unit I have to take my Yamaha units out of ECO mode first. If not one of the two will go into over load and stop putting out current.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #11

A/C on 2 Yamaha EFI2000s

Agree with previous post. Put both generators at full speed (economy OFF). Then turn off battery charger, refrigerator, water heater and other heavy electrical loads. Make sure the generator load is less than 3 amps. Then go ahead and start RV air conditioner. After several seconds, A/C is at full speed and normal operating current. Then other electrical loads can be put back on generator, just don't exceed 26 amps in total with both generators in parallel. A/C unit has high starting current, but once A/C is started, the A/C steady state current draw is reasonable.

I had the same issue OP is describing with my 2 Yamaha 2000 watt gens and found that too many other electrical loads were drawing the generator down such that the A/C would overload the generators and kick them off. Solution is as described above.

Good luck
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
Are you trying to run the generators in ECO or normal mode. To run our 15K A/C unit I have to take my Yamaha units out of ECO mode first. If not one of the two will go into over load and stop putting out current.
I am not in eco mode. I wish the answer was that simple.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcleister View Post
Agree with previous post. Put both generators at full speed (economy OFF). Then turn off battery charger, refrigerator, water heater and other heavy electrical loads. Make sure the generator load is less than 3 amps. Then go ahead and start RV air conditioner. After several seconds, A/C is at full speed and normal operating current. Then other electrical loads can be put back on generator, just don't exceed 26 amps in total with both generators in parallel. A/C unit has high starting current, but once A/C is started, the A/C steady state current draw is reasonable.

I had the same issue OP is describing with my 2 Yamaha 2000 watt gens and found that too many other electrical loads were drawing the generator down such that the A/C would overload the generators and kick them off. Solution is as described above.

Good luck
I understand and thanks for trying to help but I am not in eco. Plus I have already tried all these things by minimizing what else is on.

There are probably 2 things happening.

1. Something is wrong with one or both of the generators

2. There isnt enough margin (output) in these units so any problem means no A/C.

Rember Yamaha corporate just told my dealer these generators can't handle loads over 18 amps. 18 amps at 120 volts is 2160 watts. It is the power factor problem that isnt exactly published in the literature but can be found burried in the owners manual you don't get until after purchase.

The thing is, they used to work and now they don't. I have a 13.5 A/C unit, same size unit on the friend's toy hauler I previously used the generators on. He now has a single Honda 3000i, the little one.

I really hope this gets worked out. I consider myself a Yamaha man. I have 3 of there mototcycles too.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #14

Sounds like a start up issue to me. I'm not sure of the surge requirement for your AC compressor but it must be quite high. Those Yammy generators are good quality. You need to check your AC electrical load on startup and compare it to the surge capability of your inline generators. There is no reason those generators can't run your unit. I think the fault is with your AC unit. 3.2 Kw is more than enough.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator