Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #15

Sure they are. We don't know what they'll do until they do it it. I'm just giving my opinion of how I think it will be handled.

Over the past 30 years I have owned 20+ trailers, always having between 3 and 6 trailers at any given time, registered for anywhere between 2,000 and 40,000 lbs each, and other than the semi trailers being used commercially requiring a DOT inspection sticker, I have never had any of them inspected.

If they suddenly start actually making folks get a bazillion trailers inspected where there has been virtually no enforcement before, it'll probably bog the system down to a crawl.

L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #16

Well I'll have to admit I was pretty lackadaisical about getting my trailers inspected too and yes, enforcement was so spotty it was pretty easy to get away with it. But the new system is computer-based and I doubt it will be loaded down by processing a few more trailers. There will be some more work at the point of inspection but I'm sure the inspection stations will be quite happy to charge us our $15 to tell us our tail lights work.

You may call the whole thing BS and an unnecessary and useless burden on the vehicle owner and if you did I'd agree with you, but regardless with the new system the bottom line will be no inspection, no registration. Everybody wants their money and they'll get it.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #17

Let me go a step further... I can't speak to what other states do, but the last two trailers I bought new from established dealers, a 2007 14k car hauler and 2010 30 ft travel trailer came off the lot TTL and all and neither of them were inspected when delivered new.... I don't personally know anyone who has ever been checked much less ticketed for either no or expired inspection sticker on a trailer. Nobody I know gets their trailers inspected outside of commercial use requiring a DOT sticker. It's just virtually unenforced here. I just don't see them making a sudden change. As lax as the rules are on trailer registration are already, I'm not sure how they'd even track them. You can register about any trailer as "homemade" without having or using any VIN number of any kind. When you add in the exclusions on trailer inspections that'll muddy the water even further.

Should it come to that point... I'll go down to 2 tags for my current 4 trailers. If the TT wasn't tag specific I'd go to 1. The other three I'd run under the same tag and they'd be exempt from a formal inspection anyway.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Let me go a step further... I can't speak to what other states do, but the last two trailers I bought new from established dealers, a 2007 14k car hauler and 2010 30 ft travel trailer came off the lot TTL and all and neither of them were inspected when delivered new.... I don't personally know anyone who has ever been checked much less ticketed for either no or expired inspection sticker on a trailer. Nobody I know gets their trailers inspected outside of commercial use requiring a DOT sticker. It's just virtually unenforced here. I just don't see them making a sudden change. As lax as the rules are on trailer registration are already, I'm not sure how they'd even track them. You can register about any trailer as "homemade" without having or using any VIN number of any kind. When you add in the exclusions on trailer inspections that'll muddy the water even further.

Should it come to that point... I'll go down to 2 tags for my current 4 trailers. If the TT wasn't tag specific I'd go to 1. The other three I'd run under the same tag and they'd be exempt from a formal inspection anyway.
I like L.C.s thinking . . . "You CAN fight City Hall" . . . "I only obey the laws that I LIKE" . . . and the best . . . " been doin' it for 30 years and ain't got caught, so guess I'll try fer another 30!"
One thing I am pretty sure of is, if and when L.C. gets ticketed for no trailer inspection, he won't post it here.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
I just don't see them making a sudden change. As lax as the rules are on trailer registration are already, I'm not sure how they'd even track them.
Trailer inspections (above a certain gross weight) are required now and they will be required in the future, there is no change in the law in that regard. The fact that law enforcement didn't want to spend much time or effort enforcing it is besides the point. What you're not getting is that now police won't have to spend any time at all enforcing the law, it will simply be a matter of if there isn't a record of an inspection in the DMV system then your registration will be blocked, period. You're not going to get around it.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Trailer inspections (above a certain gross weight) are required now and they will be required in the future....
You forgot "and long have been".

Here again, I'm saying I know it's possible, but it's my opinion that nothing regarding trailer inspections is changing anytime soon.

What we need to do is read the actual law that's coming in and see if it only says motor vehicles or if it specifically mentions trailers falling under it as well. That would tell us without the wait and see.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #21

Ok, right now the law says you need a safety inspection on any and all trailers with a gross weight of 4500#. I'm not talking about a registration inspection. Those are 2 different things. I'm talking about a annual safety inspection sticker for travel trailers only, not construction trailers or motorized vehicles.
Think about this. Worse case.
Your involved in a crash and the officer who arrives at the scene looks to see if your recent safety inspection is current and you don't have one, then what? What if someone was killed?
The insurance lawyers and law enforcement will be doing a tap dance on your head saying your vehicle was unsafe, whether or not you think it is safe, won't mean a thing.
All this grief for $14.50. I'll get it inspected and have a sticker on the window that says I complied with the law.
Don't take the chance that you won't get caught.
Be safe.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Juice View Post
Your involved in a crash and the officer who arrives at the scene looks to see if your recent safety inspection is current and you don't have one, then what?
It was there officer, it musta got scraped off in the crash!

I'm trying to read HB2305 now, but its mightly long winded and refers off to the MVC a lot. So far.... it mostly just mentions MOTOR VEHICLES. What little it has said about trailers is an ancillary bit involving commercial vehicles with extended tags.

I'm still reading... may pull my hair out and give up before I find an answer myself. Might have to call my Rep who prolly voted for this garbage and ask him. Bet he dunno either.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #23

Well it sounds like what you're hoping for is that when the electronic inspection update was added to the vehicle inspection laws it also deleted trailers from the current required inspection list. Good luck with that.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #24

Not at all... They'll still be required, I'm doubting that they will be treated the same as motor vehicles at this point, just like they aren't on proof of insurance.

Hey I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time... or the last. I'm just telling you my read on it.

I've been talking with a couple of my shop guys and they're telling me that even the DPS is telling them don't even ask about any of it, they don't have a clue yet either. On the other hand they did say they are having more people come in with trailers needing inspections after getting tickets, that they are seeing more enforcement.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #25

The DPS Trooper that pulled me over last year specifically said "Any trailer over 4500 lbs gross weight must have an annual state inspection sticker, EXCEPT farm equipment and livestock trailers. The trailer I was hauling was a 40' 5th wheel.
John
Old 09-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #26

I think they have us by the short hairs again. On the other hand, at least it's a rather easy inspection, by that I mean inspectors don't have to pull the wheels like they do in other states. It's just a visual inspection of tires, lights, and maybe brake controller. Otherwise, we would lose a whole day at the garage getting this done.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #27

Vehicles not requiring an annual inspection listed under the Transportation Code Chapter 548.052. There's quite a few more listed.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Started out with a 28 foot fifth wheel, went to a 32 footer, then a 34 foot, then a 36 foot all of them had inspection stickers when bought new and each one was current when I traded them in. What I have now gets one every year also. See sig line.

Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote