Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

TX DPS Yearly inspection on TT

I need to find an inspection station that does the yearly state safety inspection for RV's and Travel trailers.
I just found out that the place I usually go to in Denton, TX no longer does them.
I'm in the process of heading out next week on a long trip so I would like to go to an inspection station along my route for a window sticker.
I'm looking for suggestions of places to try along route 287 anywhere between Haslet, TX on through Amarillo.
If I can just get a name of a place I can look it up on Google and give them a call.
I tried to search for a random place but that was fruitless.
So if you know of a dealership or just a garage that does the inspection please let me know.
Thanks!
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

Been owning and pulling trailers of every type, size and variety for 30+ years, and outside of commercial use semi trailers, I've never had one inspected,been checked or ticketed. I don't bother with it or worry about it.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Shoot I bought my class c at a dealer and they told me it was not needed.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #4

I too had never had a TT inspected in over 20yrs until I received a ticket by DPS near Junction TX. Seems it is something they are now pushing. The TX vehicle inspection laws are changing in 2015. They will require an inspection before issuing license plate renewal. Will be able to check it electronically.
John
scopey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopey58 View Post
The TX vehicle inspection laws are changing in 2015. They will require an inspection before issuing license plate renewal.
I am aware of that coming change and it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

I suspect it will only apply to motor vehicles and not to trailers, much like having to show your proof of liability insurance to buy your car/truck/motorcycle tags.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #6

I found that if I go to the DPS site and input the zip code it lists the stations in that area.
It took me a little while to navigate through the site but eventually I figured out how to do it. And I'll be able to have the inspection done before I travel too far.
The way my luck runs, I'm pretty certain I'd get a ticket for not having one on my trailer.
I think it only costs $10. I have no idea how much a fine would cost for not having one.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #7

Today I called around about the inspection, seems like the price went up. Expect to pay $14.50 to have it done. I was lucky and found a place about 3 miles from my home.
Now when the state police stop me for speeding they won't give me a ticket for the inspection too!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Please don't let California find out about this.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
FAI.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...r/default.aspx
Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
This is one reason I didn't domicile in Tx. But love being a winter Teaxan. Thank you y'all for having us!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
This is one reason I didn't domicile in Tx. But love being a winter Teaxan. Thank you y'all for having us!
You're welcome. Your money is welcomed here as well..
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
I suspect it will only apply to motor vehicles and not to trailers
Why would you think that?

The Texas system sounds like a duplicate of how North Carolina currently operates. You must obtain an inspection within 90 days of registration expiration, and the results are electronically sent to the DMV (there is no sticker required on the vehicle.) If there is no inspection on record your registration will be blocked.

In NC, if you will not be in the state within the 90-day period prior to registration expiration then you can obtain an inspection or safety check (or just about any automotive service, as long as the VIN of the vehicle is clearly listed... they seem to mostly just want proof that the vehicle is physically out of the state) and send evidence to the NC DMV and they will unblock your registration. I imagine practicality will require that Texas adopts a similar policy.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Why would you think that?
Repeating all of what I said above...

I suspect it will only apply to motor vehicles and not to trailers, much like having to show your proof of liability insurance to buy your car/truck/motorcycle tags.

You don't have to show any proof of liability insurance on things other than motor vehicles to renew the tags.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #14

Liability insurance and vehicle inspection are two different things and two different sets of laws. I think you can pretty much count on the fact that anything required to be inspected before the change (including trailers) will be required to be inspected after the change.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote