Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #15

We love ours.no need for carrying a jack
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Glad to hear that, but most blow outs i have seen cause massive destruction to the wheel well and joining body parts . Something i think the manufactures should address in design, sure it would add a few pounds,and cost but well worth it.

My next project ????
Flying shrapnel for sure. Unfortunately, the fender flares/wheel wells don't do well with the shredded debris of the steel belted tires when they blow. I've seen chunks of tires from semi's crack windshields. In all 3 blowouts that I have witnessed, there was definitely some cosmetic damage. However, the trailer itself was rather steady in every case. I will also add that all three were being towed by 1 ton duallies so that may also have helped. In all three cases, the owners ignored the timeout and were running tires that were 6-10 years old. Not sure about their inflation since it wasn't our unit.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #17

Agree about tire age and tire care, but cannot relate tow vehicle to it ????
Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Agree about tire age and tire care, but cannot relate tow vehicle to it ????
Pointing out the added stability that a larger truck may or may not provide. Harder to move a larger truck in a sway condition in my experience.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The only reason a MFG will tell people not to jack under he axle is because some goofball will no doubt put the jack to far under the trailer and bend the axle. I too use a 6 ton Harbor Freight bottle jack.
The axle tube wall thickness is very thin; creating a point load with the jack can dent the tube (likely), or crush it (not as likely) - compromising the axle.

There are cradles that are made to lift round axles, if you want to go that route.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #20

I have the Trailer Aid and 4 way lug wrench but DON"T want to use them.. My tires are Provider ST205/75R14 which came on my Micro Minnie 2106DS. Never heard of them so I did the research and found out that they are 81MPH tires. I was going to change them to Goodyear Endurance but decided to give these a try..
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #21

+x rated comments. I found the lug nuts differ on the wheels and the spare. I bought a new extending wrench with the right sockets from amazon. Then made sure the spare the hub on top of that. I found the scissors jack from my truck worked fine placed the under the spring plate. No flats yet but I'm ready, I hope!

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #22

Jayco Owners Club
My last trailer had TorFlex axles and the tires were close together. We got the trailer aid ramp for it and I checked to be sure it would lift the other wheel off the ground. It did work. I wish I had let it go with the trailer when I sold it. My new trailer has a lot more space between the axles and it will NOT lift the other wheel adequately. So I have a bottle jack and an aluminum floor jack. I also have a 4-way lug wrench and a 25" break-over bad with appropriate sockets for truck and trailer. Unfortunately I've used all of those since August...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
I use a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to call AAA or USAA. ��

by far the best reply ....

I woudl suggest a FLOOR type jack, rather than a bottle jack, two reasons.

1: The floor jack, when "retracted" (DOWN) is not as tall as the Bottle jack so it goes under whatever easier, and 2: When fully extended they are often taller

I've had issues with using bottle jacks where I had to jack it up, then place a jack stand, then move the jack, then move the jack stand and so on several times. Before I could change the tire.

A side note: A bottle jack that fits nicely when the tire is inflated.. MIGHT NOT FIT when the tire is flat...

I carry a 2-ton floor jack
an 6 ton and a 12 ton bottle jack. The latter is air operated.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #24

Depending on your tow vehicle, you may already have an appropriate bottle jack on board.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
In all three cases, the owners ignored the timeout and were running tires that were 6-10 years old. Not sure about their inflation since it wasn't our unit.
What is the rule of thumb on these tires? Is there a set number of seasons where they should be replaced regardless of mileage?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #26

Trailer Life, March 2017, had a whole section/article titled, Spring Opener. In that article, it suggested maintenance and care for RV owners to consider/perform in the spring. It included a paragraph on tires too. I would research the specific tire/manufacturer for their recommendation to see for sure, but my personal belief is 7 years tops. The article suggests 3-5 for ST Tires.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #27

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170216_220650.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	152123
Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #28

What about for single axle trailers without springs that use torsion bar suspension like the 1900 series Rickwood Minilites. What to use in this case?
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer