Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ultra Lube Alko Axles

Surely this topic must have been discussed here, but I couldn't find it.
I am about 1500 miles down the road with our new Outlook RV, Wind River trailer. I decided yesterday that I needed to learn how to add fresh grease to the wheel bearings via the integral zerk fittings. So I did exactly what the manual said, and pumped in (by hand) the specified grease and planned to do so until the new grease showed up squeezing out of the outside bearing.

But alas, no grease came out, even after one entire tube of grease had disappeared into the inner caverns of the wheel and bearing assembly. So I stopped and called Alko and Outdoors. Both said essentially that it shouldn't take that much grease so I should take it to a dealership and have it checked out. That is not an option for me at our current location.

So I do have a question. If you have added grease to your new Alko Ultra Lube hubs, what was your experience?

Thanks!

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

:doh:
Never add grease like that. Only way I would allow is to jack it up, spin tire and pump, but I still don't like it.

You need to always pull hubs and physically see bearings/brakes/seals.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is one of my favorite subjects but you won't like my opinion. I know, as you have experienced that when you use a grease gun to make things easier you may/will have problems. Using the zerk fitting to pump grease through a very small hole in the axle into the inner bearing thereby forcing the old grease back out the axle in a lot of cases does not work. What it most likely did was to force the grease through the inner seal and out onto the break drums. Now your brakes are ruined. You can't clean the grease from the drum or shoes. It penetrates both the brake material and the cast iron drums so they are toast. If you don't replace the drums the next set of shoes will prematurely glaze and won't stop your TT very well.

I know all of this because I taught automotive repair for 35 years. When we had standard front wheels we would pack wheel bearings about every 30-40,000 miles. Why does the TT industry think it is necessary to re-pack or grease TT bearings every 12 months or 12,000 miles??? I don't know why they believe that. To make their wishes easier they use the zerk fitting method and many times it does what you did.

Many have reported that on their first inspection of their unit their drums were covered with grease so it was over packed from the factory.

I've had three TT's and on all of them first I replaced the bearings with something other than a china bearing. Then I hand packed the bearings using Amsoil synthetic grease. I also correctly adjusted the wheel bearings. Then I didn't touch them again until I had either 2-3 years worth of travel or had put over 20,000 miles on them. Some guys like to inspect their shoes and bearings every year. that's OK but make certain that the bearing's are adjusted correctly. If you do the work yourself fine but if you have to trust a shop make sure they are competent.

TeJay
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have herd of this happening. As much as I hate the work on a new TT I will probably pull and inspect as stated. Your Idea to replace the bearings with quality ones is also a good idea as I have had a bearing go out in the past and it's a real bad day. Just seems sad you have to do it on a new TT.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #5

I'm with Tejay. The quick-lube/EZ-lube type hubs are always over-greased causing the grease to be forced out onto the brake shoes and everywhere inside. As described, it essentially ruins the shoes and braking magnets. Here are some good pictures of a ruined hub assembly: WHY I HATE EZ-Lube Hubs - Expedition Portal
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. As I stated I did the upgrades so I wouldn't get in a bind. If you do change the bearings always keep one or two sets as spares.

If you do the upgrade use a good synthetic grease. Amsoil, Mobil 1 they have good lubes that are about 10X's better than standard bearing grease. I can think of no reason not to use a good synthetic lube. Also if you've done some work on these TT bearings you will notice that the lube is somewhat thinner than what I normally use. The reason is that lube, if pumped into the axle has to travel through that small hole all the way to the inner bearing and then push the old grease all the way back up front and out the end of the axle. that's the theory anyway. Well it has to be thinner to be able to travel all that way more easily.

As far as packing them every year. Boat trailers are dunked into the water several times each summer. That's why they use the grease-gun method. They also recommend re-packing them every year and rightly so. Also many boat trailers don't have electric brakes or brakes of any sort to worry about getting grease on them.

Some guys have reported here on the forums about industrial applications for packed bearings that lasted for 5 -10 years or more.
What about rear bearings on today's front wheel drive vehicles. Those hubs use two berings and they are sealed. Those will usually go 70,000 miles and more before needing replaced. I'd bet they are also using a synthetic lube.

TeJay
Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks to all of you who commented on my original request. I hope to pull the wheel tomorrow and have a look at things! I will report back.

Re grease, I used the factory specs, synthetic, 450+ deg dropping point. To wit: "Valvoline SYNpower NLGI #2 GC-LB Complex Lithium EP Grease"

I was very happy with the Dexter Nev-R-lube bearings on my prior Arctic Fox, 40,000 miles and no issues. But some folks say those bearings are too small for the weight of the trailer. But if I have problems with the stock Alko bearings, I will consider changing out the hubs/drums (and axles if necessary) to Dexters.

Bob
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Thanks to all of you who commented on my original request. I hope to pull the wheel tomorrow and have a look at things! I will report back.

Re grease, I used the factory specs, synthetic, 450+ deg dropping point. To wit: "Valvoline SYNpower NLGI #2 GC-LB Complex Lithium EP Grease"

I was very happy with the Dexter Nev-R-lube bearings on my prior Arctic Fox, 40,000 miles and no issues. But some folks say those bearings are too small for the weight of the trailer. But if I have problems with the stock Alko bearings, I will consider changing out the hubs/drums (and axles if necessary) to Dexters.

Bob
The grease sucking wheel was removed yesterday. Found grease all over the drum and backing plate! Had it cleaned up, repacked and seal replaced.

From now on I'll do an annual/10,000 mi repack and cross my fingers.

It is sad that trailer manufacturers incorporate such a poorly designed axle. And I am being generous in only saying that.

Bob
Old 02-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #9

You do not have to take them apart each season. Instead carefully add two or three pumps of grease to each zerk fitting and you should be good to go. That's all I have done for 9 years with no problems. BTW I have pulled and inspected the bearings and they are fully greased and no signs of heat or damage.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
The grease sucking wheel was removed yesterday. Found grease all over the drum and backing plate! Had it cleaned up, repacked and seal replaced.

From now on I'll do an annual/10,000 mi repack and cross my fingers.

It is sad that trailer manufacturers incorporate such a poorly designed axle. And I am being generous in only saying that.

Bob
That brake will never work right again.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #11

I had a brand new 5th wheel come into our shop with no brakes. pulled and found the hubs and drum had been pumped full of grease through those wonderful fittings. called the manufacturer and requested drums, and complete backing plates for all four wheels. I DO NOT recommend using those grease fittings. Pull your wheels and inspect and repack as suggested above. My 2 cents.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Even if you have to pull them to lube them they are still a stronger and more reliable unit than the never lube. I guess I should say,, JMHO.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
IdahoBob,
As post #10 mentions your chances of having any drum brake work as designed after it was soaked with grease are slim. The grease will soak into the cast iron and cause friction issues with new shoes. You will not have proper burnishing or breaking in of the new shoes and eventually the shoes will glaze and therefore not stop your TT as they should.

I'd keep a close eye on those shoes for a time. Inspect them. If I remember correctly you only pumped one wheel hub full of grease and when you saw no progress you stopped. Therefore the other wheel has not been soaked in grease. That in itself will cause you some issues.

To cut to the chase. Breaks stop by creating friction. Anything that is done to cause different coefficients of friction from one side to the other will result in different stopping abilities. I'm not trying to create doom and gloom just alerting you to some stopping issues because of a concern for your safety. Drum brakes even when in good shape are marginal for stopping some of these heavier trailers.

TeJay
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you pull the wheels on a new TT for a grease inspection but don't pull the rear seal, is it OK to re-assemble without a new seal? The TT only has a few hundred miles on it besides the miles from the factory, about 1000. This summer it will see several thousand and don't want to be beside the road with a toasted wheel, tire, hub and spindle.