Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
UltraLite Recommended Manufacturers

Just purchased a F-150. V8 with 3.55 rear-end. Looking at ultralites for our trailer. Probably in the 23-26' range.

Spending a lot of time looking at Keystone products (Passport, Outback, etc). Thoughts on any other lite trailers?
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #2

I have a 2011 Passport 2850RL and have been pleased. I had the general little things that needed to be fixed on most new trailers. The biggest problem I had was delamination on the rear of the trailer and Keystone took care of that. It was not caused by water leakage, but rather poor glueing/bonding from the factory. The trailer tows exceptionally well, looks great and has some great features.
Joyce-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce-Steve
I have a 2011 Passport 2850RL and have been pleased. I had the general little things that needed to be fixed on most new trailers. The biggest problem I had was delamination on the rear of the trailer and Keystone took care of that. It was not caused by water leakage, but rather poor glueing/bonding from the factory. The trailer tows exceptionally well, looks great and has some great features.
Excellent! Went to the local RV dealer again today to look around some more. Also looking at Koala and Shadow Cruiser from Cruiser RV. Seems like trailers are pretty much the same. Layout, construction materials, and size appear to be the driving factors.

We are shooting to keep trailer weight I the 4500 lb range tops.

Appreciate the feedback. Nice looking Chevy.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 2010 Forest River Rockwood 2604. I don't remember the dry weight, around 4800 I think, but loaded for camping it was 6200. I towed it 10,000 with a Silverado 1500 4X4 with no problems. I used a Equalizer 10,000 weight distributing hitch [Moderator Edit]. There are a lot of nice ones out there in your weight range just don't let a dealer over load you. I had a dealer try to sell me a 7200 dry weight TT when he knew my towing capicity was 7500.
Good luck and happy camping.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
?..There are a lot of nice ones out there in your weight range just don't let a dealer over load you. I had a dealer try to sell me a 7200 dry weight TT when he knew my towing capicity was 7500.
Good luck and happy camping.
Excellent input. I have seen them try to move me to the edge of capacity. The weight distributing hitch is definitely on my list. Going to keep it in the 4-4.5k range.

Thank you!

Looking for some input on Kala, Cruiser RV, Passport. Anyone have experience?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #6

I have a 2010 Ford 5.4L F-150 and purchased a PrimeTime 318BHS this past April. They are a fairly new manufacturer and a subsidiary of Forest River. We have been extremely pleased with our purchase and they have a great product line. Definitely worth checking them out: www.primetimerv.com

Happy shopping!
Phrogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We just purchased a 2011 R-Vison Onyx 25RB. It weighs in at about 4400 empty and will gross out at about 6200. 25 foot, 8 wide. The dealer came down to a sub 20K price. Only had it out one night for a shake down but am very happy, so far.

We had a Toyota Tacoma V6 when we bought it. Upgraded to a Ram 1500 5.7L soon after pulling it home. The Toyota would pull it, but the Ram will haul it.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #8

Keystone Bullet 278 RLS

We purchased a Keystobe Bullet this past summer and love it! We are new to RVing but I did my research. The one thing I find out most often is everyone has a different opinion on what they like. We ended up driving 6 hours to purchase this model and absolutely love it. It is designed for a couple and I probably wouldn't't have purchased it when our kids were at home (4 of them). But for two people and occasional visitors it has been awesome. We got ours at Camperland of Oklahoma in Tulsa for a great price.
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

We have had a Cruiser product (FunFinder X160) since 2008 and been happy with it. They are definitely light construction, but ours has doen everything we have asked of it and the only thing I have had to fix so far is a brake control wire on the camper that wore through (no biggie). We will consider another FunFinder when the time comes based on our experience with this one.
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Ok - narrowed the vendors down to Skyline Koala and Evergreen Ever Lite. Seem to be similar in materials and features.

Appreciate everyone's input via forum and message.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
Have you looked at the Forest River Surveyor line? I have a 2011 SP-260 that comes in under 5k lbs and is 26'. I originally towed it with a Honda Ridgeline. I have since upgraded to a 2004 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 and can hardly tell it's back there.
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #12

We ordered a 2012 Forest River SV 264 Surveyor Select 10th anniversary edition.
I think that you would like them.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #13

We have a Koala 20RB - this is their single-axle 20' trailer, 3100 lbs empty, about 4000 on the road. I have no problems towing it with a 2011 4Runner, and aside from a defective 12v radio in it there have been no issues at all. I don't get the sense it's built any worse than anything else in its price range, either to meet the price point or weight. I would, however get a dual axle trailer (as in, the Koala 18 RB) if I had to choose again because our tow vehicle has such a short wheelbase. With a F150, that's going to matter a lot less.

I also like the fiberglass sides - someone hit a truck tire carcass next to us and flung it into the rear right side on our first trip out with it, and the material showed a lot less damage than I would have thought, although the water heater cover deformed because it's metal. The material is air filled, so it insulates well, and keeps the interior quiet.
homeyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPugVA View Post
Just purchased a F-150. V8 with 3.55 rear-end. Looking at ultralites for our trailer. Probably in the 23-26' range.

Spending a lot of time looking at Keystone products (Passport, Outback, etc). Thoughts on any other lite trailers?
I highly recommend looking at the Coachmen Freedom Express line. High quality, light weight, green components.
rayk4e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen