Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Uneducated rookie

As the title says, I am a rookie to the rv world. My current issue is only half the wall outlets are working using a generator. Also the moment I start the AC unit the generator kick out due to overload. The generator is a brand new honda EU3000is. The manual states my AC is a 10k btu unit so the generator should be plenty to operate the AC.

From some of my research I have found that turning on the fan first will reduce the power requirement. Is this a correct statement?

As for the wall sockets, will the overload on the generator have any factor? The converter is inteli-power 9100. Reading some of the troubleshooting guide mentioned too much power can cause these tyoe of issues.

Will some of you experienced RVers be willing to share some of your knowledge would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

**edited**
2000 Fleetwood Mallard 29F
Newbie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie71 View Post
As the title says, I am a rookie to the rv world. My current issue is only half the wall outlets are working using a generator. Also the moment I start the AC unit the generator kick out due to overload. The generator is a brand new honda EU3000is. The manual states my AC is a 10k btu unit so the generator should be plenty to operate the AC.

From some of my research I have found that turning on the fan first will reduce the power requirement. Is this a correct statement?

As for the wall sockets, will the overload on the generator have any factor? The converter is inteli-power 9100. Reading some of the troubleshooting guide mentioned too much power can cause these tyoe of issues.

Will some of you experienced RVers be willing to share some of your knowledge would be awesome and greatly appreciated.
I'm a newbie also, and can't help with your issue but suggest you describe your vehicle(s) in detail. People are anxious to help so the more info you supply the more likely it is you'll get your issues resolved. Good luck, Mike
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

As far as the outlets, look for a GFCI outlet. They are wired to protect The outlet in them and outlets down the line from them.

Do all the outlets work while plugged in to house power ?

What about the AC ?

What is cutting out on the Honda ?

Are you powering a 50 amp cord with a 30 amp adaptor to the generator. If you are, is it a proper adaptor.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
As far as the outlets, look for a GFCI outlet. They are wired to protect The outlet in them and outlets down the line from them.

Do all the outlets work while plugged in to house power ?

What about the AC ?

What is cutting out on the Honda ?
When connected to city or shore power everything works. At least the laat time it was connected.

The camper was a seasonal camper, my parents never moved the camper from the rv park and always used shore power, the laat time being this past December and has never operated under generator power
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #5

Is it a 50 amp camper, 4 blade plug ?

What adaptor are you using if it is.

Do you have an electric water heater on when you turn on the AC ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Is it a 50 amp camper, 4 blade plug ?

What adaptor are you using if it is.

Do you have an electric water heater on when you turn on the AC ?
30 amp, 2 blade 1 round. Using L5-30 adapter for the generator. As for the water heater I am not sure if it is one. Should I be flipping the breaker for the water heater?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #7

BTU (British Thermal Units) is an old school way of describing heating/cooling/cooking abilility of a certain device, and in no way describes the amp/watt draw of said device. (Although there is a correlation). An electrical device has an amp draw, AND a startup draw on the generator. Your 3000 wont run everything at once, although it's a great genny. Pull your manual on the AC, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
BTU (British Thermal Units) is an old school way of describing heating/cooling/cooking abilility of a certain device, and in no way describes the amp/watt draw of said device. (Although there is a correlation). An electrical device has an amp draw, AND a startup draw on the generator. Your 3000 wont run everything at once, although it's a great genny. Pull your manual on the AC, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I understand it will not run everything at once. Do I need to flip breakers to prevent things like the water heater and refrigerator from working the moment the generator is fired up?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

water heater

some units have an electric heating element if that is on I would reduce your avalible power for outher things like the a/c . if you start just the fan on the a/c first before going to cool it will reduce the starting draw a little.
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

If it were me, I'd run the fridge and WH on propane. Start the genny, wait 30 seconds or so, then the AC. After that you can flip the fridge if you want, but a 3000 is real borderline or even over for a WH and AC. Plus you have battery charging, lights, TV, Radio, etc. FWIW, I LOVE Honda generators!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
If it were me, I'd run the fridge and WH on propane. Start the genny, wait 30 seconds or so, then the AC. After that you can flip the fridge if you want, but a 3000 is real borderline or even over for a WH and AC. Plus you have battery charging, lights, TV, Radio, etc. FWIW, I LOVE Honda generators!
So I will try by flipping the breaker on both the fridge and water heater.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #12

I'm not a fan of flipping breakers....if you mean in the electrical panels. Everytime you flip one it weakens it just a wee bit. Over time it will fail. Just run what you can on propane. The fridge uses sooooo little it's amazing. The WH is only needed when you need it, and they heat very quickly on LPG.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm not a fan of flipping breakers....if you mean in the electrical panels. Everytime you flip one it weakens it just a wee bit. Over time it will fail. Just run what you can on propane. The fridge uses sooooo little it's amazing. The WH is only needed when you need it, and they heat very quickly on LPG.
So there is power switches on each then? i know there is an option on the fridge to choose between electric or propane. As for the water heater I do not know how to power up or down.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #14

Correct. Just choose 'Gas' on the fridge. For the water heater you'll have 2 switches. If it's like mine....the electric is red and the same size as a light switch. The gas is a red toggle, and is probably next to your water pump toggle. Caveate---------different MHs use different switches.

Tags
cat