Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm, lets see:
you bought a used unit with no warranty, then complain that the manufacturer won't stand behind their warranty.
You bought a service policy (not an extended warranty) and the dealer tested the A/C and says it's OK. Motorhome A/C or heat pumps only cool the air 20 cooler than ambient and that's no guarantee that the inside of the rig will be 20 cooler.
The A/C is too small for the unit: That could be because it was made for cooler climates than where you are.
As to the paint, well they did admit it was a problem, but again, you're out of warranty due to being the second owner.
That's why you do an inspection before delivery, then read the manuals and understand the warranty. Same with the service policy, they leave LOTS of "outs" in them. That's why consumer magazines a groups advise against buying them.

Even on our DSDP the dealer had it for 113 days out of the first 305 days of ownership. Parts were stolen off it (just a couple antennas) but the dealer refused to replace them. I tried the BBB, they were worthless, finally had to drive the rig from the west coast to IN to get it fixed. But they did ate least pay for the fule both ways and lodging while I couldn't live in the rig. HOWEVER, I was the original owner and withing the 3 year warranty period.

Fix the rig and enjoy it.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Earthbound

New member here, so not sure if this will be posted where it needs to be. The site is EB Owners' Forum, on Facebook. It is where you can post good and bad comments and not worry that you will be removed. There is a community there that is very supportive. Please check us out if you are thinking of buying an EB.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #31

Just a quick update. My Earthbound has now been at the factory for 3.5 months on this it's third visit. That's a total of about 5.5 months now at the factory. When I last saw it on Monday 9/12/11 the walls were still not finished being painted and the unit was sitting in pieces. At least my new vinyl floor was on. Let's see, that's the original, 1st new (replacement) one, first new one repaired where slide gouged it and now 2nd new one which hopefully the slide won't gouge. At least the new walls will have a layer of composite under the aluminum outer skin which will act as a thermal break and a little more insulation. Plus it will have more framing to include around the windows.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #32

Failure on the Horizon?

According to an Earthbound dealer today, the company is currently at a standstill for production, parts, and service. They are in the process of trying to find an investor/partner to help bring things back into operation.

I don't see how they are going to survive this, regardless of whether they think they can convince the public to buy a $170K "one-of-a-kind" Travel Trailer.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob
Just a quick update. My Earthbound has now been at the factory for 3.5 months on this it's third visit. That's a total of about 5.5 months now at the factory. When I last saw it on Monday 9/12/11 the walls were still not finished being painted and the unit was sitting in pieces. At least my new vinyl floor was on. Let's see, that's the original, 1st new (replacement) one, first new one repaired where slide gouged it and now 2nd new one which hopefully the slide won't gouge. At least the new walls will have a layer of composite under the aluminum outer skin which will act as a thermal break and a little more insulation. Plus it will have more framing to include around the windows.
In most states the manufacturer has to extend the warranty for the amount of time your product was in for warranty repairs. Just FYI.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfletcher72
Wow.... I thought I paid a lot used ($24K)...but it was less than 6 months old when i bought it.

They must be crazy to price their camper in the league of "AIRSTREAM"...

FYI... I was un-friended on their FB page due to my questions/comments.
You may have a good case for implied warranty on the paint issues if the trailer was only six months old and normally warranted for three years. Consult an attorney if the factory wont do anything.

Read below:

What is an implied warranty?

There are two types of implied warranties: the implied warranty of merchantability and the implied warranty of fitness. Virtually every consumer product you buy comes with an implied warranty of merchantability. This is an assurance that a new item will work if you use it for a reasonably expected purpose. For used items, the warranty of merchantability is a promise that the product will work as expected, given its age and condition.

The implied warranty of fitness applies when you buy an item with a specific (even unusual) purpose in mind. If you relate your specific needs to the seller, and the seller assists you in selecting the item, the implied warranty of fitness assures you that the item will fill your need. For instance, if you tell a retailer that you need a sleeping bag for sub-zero weather and the retailer sells you such as bag, it comes with an implied warranty that the sleeping bag will keep you warm in sub-zero temperatures.

In most states, an implied warranty lasts forever. In a few states, however, the implied warranty lasts only as long as any express warranty that comes with a product.

Sellers sometimes try to avoid implied warranties by selling a product "as is." This isn't always successful because the seller hasn't carefully followed state law requirements for disclaiming implied warranties, and because implied warranties can't be disclaimed when there is an express written warranty that comes with the product.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #35

Angry Still Waiting

Well folks, it's the first day of Fall. I've officially missed the entire summer of camping now. My Golden Ridge is still at the factory and now they're asking for "just a couple more weeks". Should be ready by Oct 15. Think I'll send them an email every day asking if it's done yet. Kind of like kids in the back seat. Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #36

@ Yellowreef....Unfortunately we bought used and their BS warranty is non-transferable. I tried to deal with them on a professional level and hoped they would make an exception because I thought they were professional. Ive tried to put their shenanigans in the past and just get the camper how we want it. We have actually done quite a bit. We put in a new roof mount 15k AC... which now its real nice in the Texas summer. We just got the junk fridge replaced under our extended warranty with a real RV fridge. We had an antenna installed...and lastly will be the paint. We will most likely address that next year. I'm even considering doing a vinyl wrap. I've had a couple of places suggest it. So we are making some lemonade out of the lemon we bought.
jfletcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Their warranty is BS weather you buy new or used. We pulled it less than 500 miles. Tire rubbed and blew out, destroyed wheel well and finder. We put slide out and when we put it back in, it ripped a hole in the floor. The fridge would not latch shut and food fell out while going down the road. 3100.00 they would not cover. Oh, and also the slide leaked, which they did cover, but it was stuck in the factory for 5 weeks during their close down in July. We were lucky that our dealer took it back and we got a 2012 Winnebago Raven. So, other than your fixes, how do you like it?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #38

@fishgutbay.... this was our first camper so we have nothing to compare it to. We have had to put A LOT of money into it. We also had a slide issues that caused severe leaks. At this point we have it pretty much tweaked and working as good as it can. I would say we like it. However in retrospect I would have wanted a camper that rides higher. We have been limited a few times on where we can go. Would I buy EB again....absolutely not! Their QC and customer service is a joke. I really feel sorry for the folks who are about to spend $80K+ on a new one. I feel cheated at $24K.
jfletcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
I feel for you. I have had similar issues with another brand - a major leak happened just outside the warranty window and they refused to assist any with the repair - so I had 2K out of pocket to repair the entire front end of the TT. ....
Out of curiosity, what brand TT did you have problems with? We're in the market now for a trailer and it helps to hear the good & bad of the various brands.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a Earthbound. If you want to, you can go to EB Owners' Forum on FB and read about some of our issues. We now own a Winnebago.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #41

iRV2 No Limits Club
Ohio has a lemon law that might be of use.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #42

I have a 2011 Earthbound, Copper Mountain. Only a few small issues so far that have had to be addressed. The European style hinges on the cabinet doors have an adjustor screw that is not captured in a slot like many of these style hinges. That means that they gradually loosen over time and fall out. I spent 20 minutes with blue loctite and cured the problem. The glass dome in the bathroom shook loose, fell and broke. $8.00 for a new one. Other than that, no other problems. Everything has worked well for the first season and looking forward to the 2012 season. My wife and I like this unit very much so far. No leaks, squeaks, rattles and everything works, albeit it is still almost new. The front access cover is a bit of a pain when removing the two batteries. It looks like the wider one on the 2012 models would be much easier, but it's something I can live with and I like the fact that the propane bottles and batteries are enclosed. Sorry to hear about some of the others who have had problems. There aren't many of these units out there for sure. The new marketing philosophy is interesting. Hope they can succeed in these challenging times.