Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

unhappy Earthbound customer

I am going to post this on each of the forums I am a member of with hopes of generating some dialogue. I mainly need to vent since this was a considerable purchase for us, and our first TT. Also I want to shed some light on what I perceive to be bad business practices.

I purchased a used 2010 Earthbound Goldenridge in the late fall of 2009. The coach was only a few months old when we bought it. A few months (early Spring 2010) after our purchase we noticed that we had a pretty severe leak in the slide. We took it into our dealer and since it was past the dealrers "90 warranty" window we had to cover the cost for the sealing and adjustment of the slide ($600). This was our first issue with the coach. Late Spring of 2010 we had taken several trips and had no issues with cooling the coach in 80 degree weather. Once Summer hit and temperatures rose above 90 we could not get the coach cooler than 85. We bought an extended warranty at time of purchase and took it into the dealer for repair. The Dometic Heat Pump tested fine. We were told that it was underpowered for the size of our coach. I immediately contacted Earthbound. I was told that their touted 3year “bumper to hitch” guarantee was non-transferable. Over the next few weeks I exchanged phone calls and emails with Earthbound’s Warranty Manager. He was very pleasant to speak with, but ultimately provide no reparations for my issue. He told me that other owners with this issue purchased a roof mount 15k AC unit, and their cooling issues were resolved. I now have the coach in the shop having an AC installed($1800). Another issue we have is the paint on the front and rear fiberglass caps have faded beyond restoration. Earthbound also stated they were aware of issues like this on their initial models. They blamed it on the type of paint that was used. Again no offer of reparation. They will have to be repainted at my cost. I have no idea what that will cost.

I have tried to locate an Earthbound internet forum, but the closest I can find is a Facebook page for them. I became a fan and posted my concerns. I wanted to see if any other owner were suffering the same issues. I did have one lady admit to having the same AC and paint issues. She said they replaced her heat pump, and offered to repaint her coach. She purchased hers new. Once I replied and voice my dislike of how I felt our coach was an obvious test model. My posts were removed and I was “un-friended”. Apparently that page is meant for only positive posts. They do not want to hear from unhappy customers.

To sum up this rant I am very displeased with how Earthbound discarded the owners of their admitted failed models. They worked out all the kinks with the next year’s model, and left owners like me holding the bag on the failed test model.
jfletcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

When they first came out, we looked at an Earthbound at Bates RV in Tampa. While it looked interesting in the design, A few things about the earthbound made me think it was poorly constructed in a few areas.

Shortly after I noticed the dealer no longer carried the Earthbound brand. I heard that the RV was not servicable/repairable in some areas. Not sure what they were referring to but it had to do with the way it was built. The dealer dropped the brand after only a few months.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I know those units aren't inexpensive so I'm sure you're very frustrated with that company. It's too bad that your posts were removed from the earthbound forum. Consumers and the manufacturers need to be able to know what issues can arise in a new design. Apparently Earthbound is not very concerned about customer satisfaction.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #3

Earthbound only wants ego stroking on their page apparently. That is what all the posts are.... look at their FB page sometime. It will make you nauseous.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I feel for you. I have had similar issues with another brand - a major leak happened just outside the warranty window and they refused to assist any with the repair - so I had 2K out of pocket to repair the entire front end of the TT. I also don't like the appearence of a hidden warranty - the other person who appeared to get the larger heat pump and paint job. I also gather that you bought the unit used - and therefore not able to use the bumper to hitch warranty and the dealer only had a 90 day warranty - did the previous owner find these errors and unload it before it fell apart?

Customer service is so important - I have heard of many tales of some of the first Nash TTs and the early production problems as well as the lengths the factory went to correct their mistakes - in or out of warranty. Some newer companies do not understand how important it is to keep the customer satisfied.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

I don't know the real reason the previous owner traded. I was told it was to upgrade to a motorhome. That could be bs..
Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

I'm not sure of your experience as an RV'er. Having been in the game for a good, long time, I know that RV's are like swimming pools: You are always messing with them, or paying someone else to mess with them, on some level. If you get into your own repairs, you soon see how shoddy parts are, in the long run, and how things are set up to make maintenance very tricky without specialized tools. Ultimately, you need to have a good deal of money and be very well off to the point where you can simply laugh when one of the hundreds of problems pops up and you get into yet another repair. Buying used is what it is: You are on your own very soon, if not the moment you drive off the dealer's lot, if you have purchased there. If you are a seasoned RV'ing pro, just calm down, suck it up, and pop for whatever upgrades you need. If you are new to the scene, welcome to the game!
rvguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, If you own a RV of any type, you have to keep up on things. No matter if it a month old or 10 years old. I would never buy a brand new trailer model. I'm sure the manufacture was expecting bugs in it first stab at making a cool looking tt that first year. Having owned my hybrid since 05' and about 320 nights I keep a close eye on everything. A water leak undetected is "not good". I wax the the hell of of mine, especially the decals. I just went thru a gallon of wax (gel-Gloss) in 3 years. I wax the decals 4 - 5 times a year....

Once "you" get the bugs out I'm sure your going to enjoy getting out in the woods....Just think of sitting by the fire with your favorite beverage.....So far I have 45 nights reserved for the up coming season....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfletcher72 View Post
I don't know the real reason the previous owner traded. I was told it was to upgrade to a motorhome. That could be bs..
As they say down here, in Austin, Texas: "Yuh thaynk?"

Most units are traded in because the owner has gotten tired of messing with repair after repair and/or a fatal flaw has been found that will lead to costly repairs, sooner or later, probably sooner. While I am certain that the proverbial unit exists that was "only used twice a year by the retired military guy who owned it and all other times it was kept in a climate-controlled RV garage, where all yearly maintenance was done without missing a thing," those units are very hard to find and almost never found on a dealer's lot. It is the old "let the buyer beware" thing when buying used or, for that matter, brand new.
rvguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #9

Jamie,

I don't know if they can help but many RV'ers with problems have had success using the Good Sam Club Action Line as an advocate resolving issues like this. Here is a link to their Action Line website.

RV Owners Advisory Council, RVers Rights, RV Legislation, RV Parking

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do lemon laws apply to RVs?

One has to wonder if the first owner of your tt had or was a good attorney who advocated for a refund or replacement after numerous issues arose. Was it then resold to you?

Something to think about?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I would at the very least turn them over to the Better Business Bureau. I would then consult an attorney, you may have some legal rights you are unaware of.

Good luck and keep us posted.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Do lemon laws apply to RVs?
Yes, I do know of a couple were their RV was "bought back". The dealer tried to fix a major problem a number of times, and failed...But in this case others were having the same problem.....It was a design flaw...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #13

Sorry to say they did not work out the kinks. I own a 2011 Golden Ridge and out of the year we've owned it, it has been at the factory for repairs for 4.5 months. First and second issues took about a month each and they have had it this time since May 31st and they are still telling me it will be at least another two weeks. Short list, roof mount A/C replaced and still doesn't work worth a s*&^. Floor replaced, soft spots and high spots. Slide gouged an egg sized chunk out of floor after floor repair. Fixed that and now it's curling up and needs fixed again. Both axles replaced, fan in BR wired wrong. That fixed now fan not working. Bad check valve in HW heater. Wrong seal around top of shower. Screws over torqued, missing, or just hanging there and rusting big time. Seal fell off fridge. Electric ignition won't work on small stove burner. Table fell apart when a friend leaned a little on it. Appears it had been repaired twice before that by number of screw holes. And there is lots more. Now they've upped the base price to $84,900 with over $9K of options available. LOL
Check out EB Owners' Forum FB page where a few of us gather to complain. EB has even removed the discussion boards on their FB page.
Bob Garlits
rgarlits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
I feel for you. I have had similar issues with another brand - a major leak happened just outside the warranty window and they refused to assist any with the repair - so I had 2K out of pocket to repair the entire front end of the TT. I also don't like the appearence of a hidden warranty - the other person who appeared to get the larger heat pump and paint job. I also gather that you bought the unit used - and therefore not able to use the bumper to hitch warranty and the dealer only had a 90 day warranty - did the previous owner find these errors and unload it before it fell apart?

Customer service is so important - I have heard of many tales of some of the first Nash TTs and the early production problems as well as the lengths the factory went to correct their mistakes - in or out of warranty. Some newer companies do not understand how important it is to keep the customer satisfied.
And Earthbound is one of them.
rgarlits is offline   Reply With Quote