Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

unknown fuses

My '09 Salem 28' w/slide has 2 fuses and one breaker that I can't decipher.

The fuses are labeled "ST" (15A) and "DSI" (3A)

The breaker is also a "DSI" but the breaker is 15A. Puzzles me why a component would need both a light fuse and a heavy breaker.

Anyone know?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #2

DSI = Direct Spark Ignition which is the way the water heater is lit. In the old days the pilot light in the water heater was lit with a match. With DSI 12-volts sparks and ignites the LP to fire the water heater. If your water heater is also heated by 110-volts you will have a 15-amp circuit breaker for the heating element. So you water heater needs both low voltage 12-volt DC and 110-volt AC.

Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not me!

But a friend of mine has a Salem and he's gotten lots of info from the Salem usergroup over at the Forest River site.
Hope it's O.k. to send you over there...but you'll be back, right?
Here's the link:Salem - Forest River Forums

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

Thanks,

Most everybody seems to agree about the DSI but there's a lot of guessing going on over there about the "ST" fuse.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Any chance there's a wiring diagram in the owner's manual?
Some mfr.'s include them from what I hear.
Those things are gold, if you can find them...
Seems like the fuses etc. would be listed there.

Just a thought!

Francesca
Old 09-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #6

Turns out the "ST" fuse is for the AM/FM radio.

I contacted Tony Hufnagle at Forest Wood and he deciphered most of the electrics correctly (except for "MIC" which he identified as the "outlets"). They want $15 for a general trailer users guide that's not brand or model specific and told me that publishing wiring diagrams is generally pointless since the wiring is subject change without notice.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for keeping us posted!
How existing wiring can be "changed without notice" is beyond me
That general guide sounds like it might be handy...

Boy, I'm having a geezer moment here-
I can remember when anything that was wired came with a wiring diagram!

Francesca
Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though DSI does indeed stand for "Direct Spark Ignition" can it stand for anything else?

I mean think bout the letters DNS.. (Domaine Name Server, Distant Network Service, DO NOT SELL) and more. Off hand I can not think of another expansion of DSI but, I'll bet there is one.. And it is clear from the "It feeds the radio" on ST, that...... The labels are WRONG.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
How existing wiring can be "changed without notice" is beyond me
Apparently it's not the existing wiring that changes. It's the fact that the wiring you have may not match the wiring on the diagram they send you. They may start picking up power for something at a different point tomorrow than they did today because it saves 16 feet of wire per unit. The new splice will be in a different place in the unit than it is on the diagram and where you'll look for it.

In my last post I said I contacted Tony at Forest WOOD; I meant Forest RIVER!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Though DSI does indeed stand for "Direct Spark Ignition" can it stand for anything else?

I mean think bout the letters DNS.. (Domaine Name Server, Distant Network Service, DO NOT SELL) and more. Off hand I can not think of another expansion of DSI but, I'll bet there is one.. And it is clear from the "It feeds the radio" on ST, that...... The labels are WRONG.
ST = STereo = radio
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #11

UPDATE!!

I got another phone call from Tony Hufnagle at Forest River this morning. He wanted to check that he had told me about the "other fuse"... which he hadn't.

It seems that the AM/FM radio gets its power from the circuit protected by the 15A "ST" fuse but that fuse is not intended to protect the radio. There is a separate 5A in-line fuse in the power lead behind the radio that does that. It is accessed by removing the radio from the cabinet (a screw in each corner, may be behind surface plugs). I haven't looked but I'm expecting a glass tube BUSS-type fuse.

He indicated that the 15A circuit for the cabinet could carry televisions, CD/DVD players/recorders in the same cabinet or that other electric components elsewhere in the trailer may be fed by the "ST" circuit.

Whodathinkit?