Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Used RV's that smell bad

In South Florida, unless the RV is a year old, most of what I have seen used have an odor. This is a big turn off for me. By the way I have two dogs that still poop/pee in the house, so I am not looking for a "disinfected" RV. When I asked a "new" RV dealer he said some people don't take proper care to air them out when needed. In south Florida, as far as I know now, not much, if you store it at a facility outside, they will all eventually stink. Very humid down here. I don't know how the cold up north comes into play on an RV but I'm sure it has its issue too! Yes, used RV's are a great idea for me just starting out and I should be able to recoup more if/when I trade in as opposed to a new on. But, on the other hand I see at one RV show I went to in West Palm Beach that they were discounting up to 35%. I can drive myself crazy over analyzing. But, I think you get what you pay for if you are patient and have done your homework. Any words of wisdom or advice is welcome! Thanks all! Matt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Our 3 yr old west coast stored 5th wheel has no stink. We don't have dogs or don't smoke. We cook all our meals inside too, with the exception of when camping in summer where we tend to cook more outside. We also only use it for 7 months or roughly 50 nights worth of camping.
I know what you're saying though about smell. But out here on the west coast I don't find that stinky smell until the units are 5 yrs old or older. Even then it really depends on the original user and their habits.
I would think full timers would contribute more to the smell than weekend warrior types.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

We are fulltime, don't smoke, no pets, and avoid the humidity that my arthritis hates so much. No stink!
(Except for the occasional aroma of BACON)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here's the thing about the folks that own their trailers and odor, especially if they full time:

The odor has grown on them. They might not know there is any odor at all except for when and what they are cooking. Liver anyone?

Fair warning to all on the internet: If you come to visit or I ever sell this trailer, it will have an odor, and I won't be able to detect it. You probably will. Just like your home. If you can't handle that, just be polite and be on your way.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Used RV's that smell bad

We live in ours.
Being always in good weather and with many windows, it gets aired out daily and we may clean up better than some.
I suspect that mold may be an issue for some.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mold and/or mildew, in South FLA, is most definitely the issue most of the time. Nice place to visit, but ...
Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's not Fl. , it's the previous owner. I live in So. Fl. and never had a mold or mildew issue. I had MaxxAir covers on all three roof vents and left them open when MH was stored. The air circulation is what's needed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, indeed, it is. I think there may be so many folks that live in humid areas that are used to the mold and/or mildew odor on a low level that they might not smell it themselves as they are desensitized to it. They open the camper and detect it a little, figure it's normal or not really think it's a problem, and go do their thing. The mold and/or mildew dries out some, they can't detect it anymore, and figure it's gone.

It's never gone. Mold and mildew is either living well, or waiting to live well. Once it's there, especially if it's been there for a good while, you can't get rid of it. You can only keep it from being happy and living well.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

OP, you can eliminate or greatly reduce odors by using a product like OdorBan, unless it is behind a wall,under floor, etc. This product is used by crime scene cleanup crews to eliminate odors of dried blood, putrid flesh, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Yes, indeed, it is. I think there may be so many folks that live in humid areas that are used to the mold and/or mildew odor on a low level that they might not smell it themselves as they are desensitized to it. They open the camper and detect it a little, figure it's normal or not really think it's a problem, and go do their thing. The mold and/or mildew dries out some, they can't detect it anymore, and figure it's gone.

It's never gone. Mold and mildew is either living well, or waiting to live well. Once it's there, especially if it's been there for a good while, you can't get rid of it. You can only keep it from being happy and living well.
Both of your replies are excellent and spot-on. (#4 & #6) Every home, either mobile or on a foundation has it's own odor, but the owners do not detect the odor in most cases, as you said, Most guests and visitors notice it right away but the vast majority say nothing. The human nose is about 1,000 times more sensitive to odors that the most modern "sniffer" equipment, but most all humans have lost the ability to utilize it to full capacity over the last thousand or so years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #10

Used RV's that smell bad

I know some do but most people do not take care of there things. That was my issue on a used TT they had a weird smell, water damage or just a combination of everything so I went with a new one I take extremely good care of my stuff my buddy bought an 07 cedar creek 5er when I say this thing was in new condition I mean it still smelt almost new roof was perfect and all caulking kept perfect ..old owners lived in it so all on how there cared for
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #11

I'm a HVAC service tech so I'm in a lot of people's houses, and usually for unanticipated repairs, all I'm sayin is "you should see how other people live", and yes, many people's house have a "scent'....
Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

My new rv had that formaldehyde smell for two months.....now it just smells like a campfire. Have built several camp fires in the area where its parked (under shelter) and the windows and vent are partially opened.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll take campfire cologne over chemical any day or night of the week!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #14

odors

you can eliminate most odors with an ozone generator.

close up the unit for 3-5 days and let it run.

Jim

Tags
rvs, smell