Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Used TT with New Furniture....you done it?

So, as some of you have seen my post since I joined here. Out family is casually looking to buy our first TT. However, we really like the ORV and Grand Design units as well as several others but those are the top two choices and they are speedy. Being this is our first TT purchase, the $43K+ prices are a bit steep for a first time purchase. We can afford it but don't think it would be a wise choice, for several reasons, the first go around.

I have been thinking about looking at the aforementioned TTs in the used variety. 4-6 years old. Seen some TT that look to have real good condition exteriors and the interiors aren't too bad either. My biggest hang up is the furniture. While the cabinets, etc look fine the chairs, couches, tables and window coverings, etc look awful. Even though they my be in physically good condition many look like they just came out of grandma's house.

Have any of you got a good deal on a TT that is structurally sound with nice cabinets but fully replaced all the "soft" furniture? Upgraded material, cloths cushions, etc. I mean fully replaced, not just reupholstered or covered? If so, any idea what % additional cost from the used purchase price you spent? Also, what are some reputable RV furniture places to get an idea of costs with good selection and service?

Or, does this generally not equate to saving money in the long run? Thanks for the help.

Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
If the exterior is for all intent, well tended and the price is right, new furniture can be purchased and installed. As far as using RV furniture, there is a lot at your local store that's usually made better then what RV manufacturers use. Now, can you save money by doing that furniture replacement - sure. You will have to shop the sales. For instance La Z Boy recliners are always on sale and around the first of the year, the best pricing. If you need a sleeper sofa - there are lots of brands that are very nice and normally less expensive for a more comfortable night's rest then the RV counterpart. You do need to take careful measurements to make sure it will fit through the door as well as with slides in and traveling. You also need to consider weight as most household furniture does weigh a bit more.
Oh and to answer your question, yes, we have replaced some or all of the furniture in all of our TTs and 5ers including the current now almost new one - and some was before it even left our driveway the first time - and it all was local furniture store stuff. And that lumpy original mattress - that's always replaced and was done at the dealership on this trailer (we supplied a Simmons Beautirest)

Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Unless you need an RV specific piece of furniture I wouldn't waste my money on it. Just go to any furniture store and shop around. You can get the measurements you need and also go online and look up the furniture. Most sites give you dimensions.
JMHO but most people would even consider RV furniture for their homes. Usually what ever is in an RV is of lesser quality than you would put in your home. Most people don't need good quality furniture in their RVs since they're only using it for short periods of time. Not like at home where you sit in a certain chair everyday.
FWIW we replaced the el cheapo booth dinette with a store bought free standing table and chairs. Also replaced the really horrible jack knife sofa with a nice theater seat style reclining love seat.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Send a message via Skype™ to SCTeacher
We replaced all of ours. LazyBoy recliner and apartment size couch plus use a free-standing table with folding chairs, all made of wood. Of course, we did a total remodel of our TT, so started with a clean slate in the living room area. We also replaced our mattress. Would never go back!
SCTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
Ohhhh! I didn't t realize so many people did this. I suppose it makes real good sense but like said, just need to make sure it fits in the door and the designated space. Well, this should make checking in costs a bit easier and to see if it is feasible over buying a brand new TT. Thanks for the enlightenment all. Very helpful.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not to discourage you from renovating an older TT, but you should know you can get just about any new trailer at 25% off the list price. It does help the pocketbook.
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #7
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Not to discourage you from renovating an older TT, but you should know you can get just about any new trailer at 25% off the list price. It does help the pocketbook.
Yeah, I know but the wife is really wanting some of the higher end TTs. ORV and Grand Design. The ORV 280RLS is still pushing $45k+. Looking to still get good quality with 4-6 year on it for mid-low $30s. I would look at a full remodel but just replacing some of the interiors recliners, sofa, tables/chairs,,mattress and window coverings if needed. No rebuilding of cabinets, walls or frames, etc.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 AM   #8
I understand saving money.. or NOT spending more than necessary..

4 months ago, purchased a 2005 Coachmen Cascade 29 footer. 29FKCS.
good shape. from a local dealer.
4 new tires/wheels, new brakes, new battery, new propane tanks. new inverter..
all appliances services. 60 day warranty.

been living in it for 7 weeks now.(snow-bird). Not one issue.. knock on wood (head)..
for 9k. plus tax.

first winter without being in Cold/Snow...etc. 64 old/young.
2012 Ford F 250,"XL" 6.2L Gas, 2 wheel drive. 145,000 miles
2005 Coachmen 29FKCS, Front Kitchen... 2005 Honda VTX1800F
N.E. Ohio in the Spring, Summer, Autumn.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
Originally Posted by SCTeacher View Post
We replaced all of ours. LazyBoy recliner and apartment size couch plus use a free-standing table with folding chairs, all made of wood. Of course, we did a total remodel of our TT, so started with a clean slate in the living room area. We also replaced our mattress. Would never go back!
How did you get the couch inside the RV? We have the typical narrow door on ours and I don't see how we could replace our sofa without removing the dining windows or an entire slide.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #10
The backs come off most all recliner type furniture. If you buy a sofa that doesn't recline chances are the backs won't come off. We have two love seat sofas at home from Laz Y Boy. The theater type has removable backs. The regular love seat is all one piece.
We bought our 5er love seat from Best Furniture at a local store. I just drove the 5er down and parked in the parking lot and they loaded the sofa in. Took the backs off 1st and carried the seating section in then carried the backs in and installed them. They just slip on brackets and clip in place. I was told that most all recliners have removable backs so they can transport more chairs in semis or whatever mode they use.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
After two years of research, we bought an Outdoors RV. Hands down one of the best RVs built. Expensive? Yes. We plan on keeping this trailer and not trading up as many people do. I have in-laws that purchased a Grand Design 5th wheel. They are very disappointed with the quality. It's not about cosmetics for us, it's about structural design and build components. I might add Outdoors RV are beautifully made too. Not to mention, ORV has the best customer service in the industry JMHO. In my book, you get what you pay for!
Windtalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Just spent some time on the OUTDOOR RV website... nice trailers.

Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote