Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Using oven in tt

I read that a stone should be inside of oven to help with the cooking,anybody like to comment on this

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
stone use

I use it for pizza and stromboli. Love it. Use a wood paddle picked up at any kitchen store and just heat your oven 500 plus if possible, then put the pizza on it with the paddle and enjoy.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

The problem with the small ovens is that they heat and cool quickly so the temperature varies more as the burner only knows on and off. A lot of people (us included) put some mass in the oven to even out the heat. A pizza stone works. So would a chunk of sheet iron. What you really want is anything that slows down how fast the oven heats when the burner is on and cools when the burner is off.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

Something like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419646598.531269.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	81920
Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you use a stone bought from a kitchen store for ovens. I've seen rocks explode in a fire when it has water trapped in it. Shale and slate are especially lethal, but other stones can also have trapped moisture in them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our pizza stone recently split into 3-4 pieces when a baking dish over flowed and spilt onto it. The pieces still work though in dampening the temperature fluctuations. And with the stone, it does take a lot longer to heat up and cool down for sure.

But I was hoping it would make the heat more even and reduce burning in the centre with our muffins. But that's still a problem.

Also I would recommend getting an oven thermometer.

We have a 25" oven, a bit larger than the usual 22", big enough to do small roasts and chickens. No turkeys though.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a 25" oven, a bit larger than the usual 22", big enough to do small roasts and chickens.No turkeys though.

Brulaz...check out the Outdoors RV Facebook page. And the pics...the DW cooked a turkey in the oven for thanksgiving in our Windriver 250 RDSW.
It was delicious.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post

Brulaz...check out the Outdoors RV Facebook page. And the pics...the DW cooked a turkey in the oven for thanksgiving in our Windriver 250 RDSW.
It was delicious.

Coops
Nice. Although I must admit that we're sort of turkey'd out right now.

We did find a small, 10# turkey for the Christmas Holidays, and my wife tells me now it probably would have fit in the trailer's oven. So we'll have to give it a go too.

But finding a smallish turkey can be tough. Most of them at the store were huge.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #9

We had problems with things we baked burning on the bottom also. I took a cookie sheet and with the ball end of a ball peen hammer put dimples all over it. We set what we are going to bake on top of the cookie sheet in a separate pan. This allows circulation, but there is no direct heat. And, my biscuits are not burned on the bottom anymore.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #10

I have never used the oven. I only lit it to see if it worked. We bought a halogen oven that plugs in and we use an electric pressure cooker with the halogen oven when cooking big meals for family vaca time like at Disney or to just get away on weekends. When it's just the DW and I we cook on the fire outside like the old days when we tent camped... I can only guess the oven would hear the inside of the trailer up quite a bit. Btw, the halogen oven and pressure cooker were dirt cheap at Home Depot. Both for less than 100...
Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

We used a pizza stone all the time we had our rig. Forgot to take it out when we hit the road one morning - need a new one shortly afterwards. The original owners had a set of 6" square ceramic tiles in the oven when we bought it, but we swapped them out.

We used our oven frequently, often for baking bread, but also for Lancashire hotpot, stew & dumplings, shepherd's pie and other things we enjoy.

We turned down several decent used rigs before we found a good one with an oven. A must in our book, either electric or gas.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good multi layered baking sheet will solve burning problems for cookies. They also make them for muffins. For roasting we use a Cast iron dutch oven. Our food come out great.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #13

We used our oven lots last year for baking and pizza.

Things I found you need a oven thermometer they seem to be way out.

Also for what ever reason we found the oven worked better with the stove cover in the open position.

Also when cooking in it we found just to turn what ever was in there half way through the cooking process.

I may try a stone in there this year but we will see. So far it does what we need.

Good luck.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #14

We turn our foods we are baking to get even results.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1421042608.810413.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	83167