Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
Question Using Scales

I see people discussing weighing their rigs. I assume the local truck scales is where this is happening? Do I contact the local DOT and ask where I can get my rig weighed?

OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Got mine weighed at the feed store. They sell bulk live stock feed.

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

Look in your phone book and find a nearby truck stop that has a CAT certified scale . It costs about $5.00 to weigh your rig. I weighed my set up just to make sure that I was't over my back axel rateing. I had three kids myself extra fuel in the bed, plus a bunch of misc. stuff, bikes etc. Hope this helps. Joe
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

I pulled my rig into the inspection station at the state line comming into Florida on I-10. There was no vehicles in line, so I parked in the back, and asked if they could tell me how much I weighed. the lady told me to pull around and follow the instructions. Not only did she tell me how much my rig weighed, she gave me a printout of what the truck front axel and back axel and the trailer, plus the total weight of the rig. All of this for no charge. I guess that is my florida tax money at work
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Excellent responses. Thank everyone!
Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Moving companies will also weigh your rig for you. They are typically limited to providing axel (front and rear) weight and total weight. Haven't found one around me that can do corner weight.

I use them because they don't seem to be as busy as a truck stop scale. In fact I can't remember the last time I went to one and there was anyone else there.

$5.00 to $7.00
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Weighing each axle is better than nothing but doesn't tell the total story. You really need individual wheel position weights.
On ours the front axle weighs 600#'s more on the passenger side than the drivers, if I took the total weight and divided that in half I'd be underinflating the passenger side tire for the weight.
Same on the rear except the drivers side is heavier than the passenger by about 300#'s.
Here in WA and OR the state leaves the scales on and active even when the scale house is closed so I just pull in and weigh. The DOT scales are accurate to within 20#'s and there's usually enough room to do individual wheel weights.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

I went to a small scrap metal yard in Front Royal. There might be something similar in Manassas. USN Ret. here, too.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #9

Does anyone know if you can weigh at an open or closed Texas DPS scale?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 12-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Genuine CAT scales are available at most good truckstops on the interstate.

CAT = Certified Automated Truck

Not affiliated with the yellow bulldozer outfit or with the puddy cats.

Click on this link and it will tell you the nearest CAT scale to your zip code:
CAT Scale Search

That website also has info on how to use the scales.

In a nutshell, fill up with fuel then drive onto the scale and pull up until your front axle is on the front pad, the rear axle is on the second pad, and your trailer axles are on the third pad. Then reach way up and mash the intercom button. (In an F-150, I have to stand on the window sill to reach the intercom button). Tell the lady at the service desk that you are a private party weighing your (camper, pickup, whatever). Stay in the cab during the weighing. In a few seconds she will tell you to park it and come in for your scale ticket.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #11

I can only speak of Indiana DOT scales, but if they have signage saying "closed" it is trespassing to enter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Arrow CAT Scales VA/WV I-81 Exit 323 Flying J

Stopped in today to weigh the truck. $9.50 to use the CAT scales.

2011 F150 SC came in at 6160 with two people and full fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNOLL View Post
Look in your phone book and find a nearby truck stop that has a CAT certified scale . It costs about $5.00 to weigh your rig. I weighed my set up just to make sure that I was't over my back axel rateing. I had three kids myself extra fuel in the bed, plus a bunch of misc. stuff, bikes etc. Hope this helps. Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPugVA View Post
I see people discussing weighing their rigs. I assume the local truck scales is where this is happening? Do I contact the local DOT and ask where I can get my rig weighed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Moving companies will also weigh your rig for you. They are typically limited to providing axel (front and rear) weight and total weight. Haven't found one around me that can do corner weight.

I use them because they don't seem to be as busy as a truck stop scale. In fact I can't remember the last time I went to one and there was anyone else there.

$5.00 to $7.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I went to a small scrap metal yard in Front Royal. There might be something similar in Manassas. USN Ret. here, too.