Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Using Shower on/off button

When I use the shower head button to shut off the water while I soap up then turn the button back on to rinse I have two experiences that dont make sense to me and was hoping to get your input.

Trailer 1: water comes back on at normal flow and temperature

Trailer 2 & 3: water comes back on at normal flow and is very hot. I have to let the water run for a little bit before the temperature is back to normal.

The water heater, shower fixture and shower head (both plastic handhelds) are basically the same across the three trailers. All three trailers are relatively new (starcraft2011, keystone2012, rockwood roo2013)

Has anyone had this experience and figured out what component causes the issue? (Guessing the faucet)

I hate the idea that.I am filling the gray tank wulith water I am not using, not to mention hearing the family complain about the unexpected blast of hot water.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
When I use the shower head button to shut off the water while I soap up then turn the button back on to rinse, water comes back on at normal flow and is very hot. I have to let the water run for a little bit before the temperature is back to normal.
Has anyone had this experience and figured out what component causes the issue?
I hate the idea that.I am filling the gray tank wulith water I am not using, not to mention hearing the family complain about the unexpected blast of hot waterre in the skower .
bjlakatos
I don't know what is causing it but mine does that too, (and has for 14 years).
We keep a 2 quart Tupperware pitcher in the shower to catch the hot water, then save it for rinsing dishes or flushing the toilet later.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
It could be that the water heater is continuing to heat water and expand it, pushing hot water into the cold side of the faucet. If you can access the shower valve you could install a backflow valve on the cold side. This could cause water pressure to build and dump some out through the pressure relief valve on water heater since it's backflow valve would prevent water expansion back towards cold supply side.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The water heater may be a bit different.. Some heaters have check valves on the inlet,, on these as water heats hot water will be forced via the mixing valve, into the cold line just before it reaches the mixing valve, thus when you re-start flow it's hot-hot in the lines, till this is balanced.

Most of those cut off valves, today, let water continue to drip,,, WHY, well, see above, this solves the problem, save teh hose is now full of all hot. So you have to blow mix into it first.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 AM   #5

We had an on/off switch shower head in my parent's old house. It did the same thing. You learned real quick to aim that sucker away from yourself if you didn't want to get parboiled.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #6

I usually remove the tank outlet check valve to solve the problem. A ball valve installed in place.
winterizing now is changed as the valve needs to be accessed and shut manually when winterizing.
I have been using air to winterize so no problem for us.
The check valve causes a pressure differential in the system while the cold side has none.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #7

I'm having just the opposite problem.
The water is cold for a bit when I turn the shower head back on.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
I'm having just the opposite problem.
The water is cold for a bit when I turn the shower head back on.
Mine too. I just point it at the wall before I turn it off so when I turn it back on again....
Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #9

There's just more pressue in the heater side. That's why you have expansion tanks on your home heater. Helps keep the tanks from popping. Totally normal.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
bjlakatos
I don't know what is causing it but mine does that too, (and has for 14 years).
We keep a 2 quart Tupperware pitcher in the shower to catch the hot water, then save it for rinsing dishes or flushing the toilet later.
Mel
'96 Safari
Oh good grief. What a brilliant solution. Some people are just too smart but thanks for your idea. We have that problem too and it bugs me to waste the hot water that blasts out of the shower head and down the drain.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

I'm in the group of people who get cold water the first few seconds after turning the shower head flow back on. Annoying, but better than getting scalded!
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #12

I might have an idea of what's going on.
When you hit that shower stop button it still leaves the mixer valve open and at some point there could be a pressure imbalance between the hot and cold side where either a little bit of hot water flows back into the cold line or vice versa.
We had the same issue until I installed a different mixer valve (just bec. we didn't like the original) in our shower with an anti scalding disk and we no longer use the shut off button.

Tags
shower