Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #1

Help,

Am working toward fulltiming in the next 2/3 months, spoke with Camping World(GMAC)about insurace for a new truck and 5th wheel.

Plan to purchase a Ford F550 as my tow vehicle, trailer will be in the 19K range weight wise. The agent told me that the F550 is considered a Commerical vehile and would not be convered if used for anything other than towing the 5th wheel, no store trips, side trips, etc. I would be reqiured to obtain commerical insurance to cover the truck without the trailer attached as the camping work insurance would be void.

Will call to see what commerical insurance cost.

Any comments or thoughts will be welcome.

Tide Guy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #2

Help,

Am working toward fulltiming in the next 2/3 months, spoke with Camping World(GMAC)about insurace for a new truck and 5th wheel.

Plan to purchase a Ford F550 as my tow vehicle, trailer will be in the 19K range weight wise. The agent told me that the F550 is considered a Commerical vehile and would not be convered if used for anything other than towing the 5th wheel, no store trips, side trips, etc. I would be reqiured to obtain commerical insurance to cover the truck without the trailer attached as the camping work insurance would be void.

Will call to see what commerical insurance cost.

Any comments or thoughts will be welcome.

Tide Guy

Old 06-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Different underwritters come up with some stange ways to treat the larger trucks. Last time I check insurance on my F350 DRW, GMAC was not even close on rates. Makes me think they really don't want the RV business. Try checking with some of you local Independenet agents. He beat out the others and placed the truck, car and RV through Hearford when Heartford would not insure it through AARP. Go figure.

Ken
Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have had allstate since 1988
no claims wrecks tickets etc, but did have four hmes and three rvs; and several 250 and up trucks
nobody comes even close to their rates,
which is scary i priced cw gmac and it was 2300 more a year for everything than i am paying now
shp around shop around
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Strange...Good Sam VIP (GMAC) saved us over $400/year on our vehicle/RV insurance over State Farm, whom we had used for 30 years.

Go figger, I guess....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, I guess that it was your charm or great wit.

Maybe your State Farm agent was getting a nice retirement package from you.

Ken
Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #7

Good Sam trailer insurance lets you reduce your payment if the trailer is parked at home by arround 60%. You call them to increase to the normal rate when you plan to go on vacation then reduce it again when it is parked at home where your homeowner insurance covers it. You have to increase it for at least 30 days.