Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #15

I think your fridge will be fine staying on propane. My wife and I were out for 4 days and with fridge running and using propane to cook and the heater to keep warm and hot water tank on. And I did not go through one 20 pound bottle.

As far as power I bought a used yamaha 2400is inverter generator. Found it for $700.00 on craigslist. It will run everything you need in a tralier. I used a buddy's honda 2000 watt also before getting mine and it also works great. Just can't run the a/c with that one.

Also maybe look at doing the 6 volt battery swap. As I did this also and my big thing was to get through the night nice and warm. So far this works well for me.

I run the generator for about 2hrs when I get up. Maybe a hour around lunch. And 2hrs again at night. Doing this seemed to keep the batterys charged up.

Never let your battery die completely. You will be buying new one very soon if you do that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #16

Ok, well then here is prob another stupid question,

Do you have your propane running/fridge running while towing or do you wait until you get to your campsite to turn them both on?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Sandifords;1725072]Ok, well then here is prob another stupid question,

Do you have your propane running/fridge running while towing or do you wait until you get to your campsite to turn them both on?[/QUOT]

We leave the propane on while traveling to run the fridge, and it keeps everything perfectly cold. Some folks say to shut the propane tanks off when fueling. We haven't though, as usually we are fueling the truck while the 5er is in the campground. We try and plan it that way!
Have too much fun!!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #18

So it IS safe to have the propane running while towing?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #19

Re the ball sticking in the hitch - are you certain the ball is sized for the receiver?

Some balls are 1 7/8" while others are 2" for example.

It may be possible to jam a 1 7/8" receiver over a 2" ball. Have never tried it but I suggest it would be tough to get the hitch off the ball if it was jamed on the wrong sized ball.

Just worth checking IMHO?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #20

both are 2 5/16"
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #21

It is absolutely safe to travel with the propane tanks open and the fridge running on propane.

Sometimes my hitch sticks on the ball and I have to bump the truck one way or the other to free it up. Just one of those things that happens.

BTW, there aren't any stupid questions. Feel free to ask anything.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sandifords,
Have always run the fridge on propane while traveling, the only thing is to shut it off before you pull into the fuel island, remember that someone else maybe fueling at the time that you pull up, and don't restart till after you pull away. Make sure the angle of your hitch is correct for the height of the tounge, sometimes the angle will cause the ball to not release. Go to your brand recievers website to get directions on how to set the proper ball angle. You have asked very good questions and we have all been there at one time. Now all there is to do is take the kids and go have fun.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #23

Suggest you splurge on a solar panel (80 watts minimum). It will keep the essentials operating forever unless you run into an extended period of overcast weather. In that case you can pull out your 1000 watt invertor.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap23 View Post
volts times amps = watts. so if Gocoffeer is right about 12.5 amps, 12.5 amps * 120 volts = 1500 watts. you would need at least a 1500 watt generator at 100%
Don't forget startup for an a/c unit or other high draw appliances can pull 2-3 times their running load to get going. 3000-4500 watts for a few seconds for a 1500 watt draw. Without that you can burn up the generator or the appliance.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #25

The grease worked on the hitch!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #26

What did you buy for a Genny? I am all bout that Honda too.... very quiet.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #27

Once your fridge is at operating temp and everything in it is cold it will stay cold for hours, we just had a bad experience where we lost all power and our fridge kept the ice solid and all the contents in the fridge cold for about 9 hrs and could have been longer if need be I could be wrong on this but there isn't any reason why you run the gen set every 4-5 hrs for an hour at a time just to bring everything back to the right temp. If you are indeed set on not using propane
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile

hi !

I agree with the poster who said, don't worry about the tv. I've camped forever now, and have six daughters. we never had a generator because I never drydocked with the kids. being a female alone at that time, I always went to campgrounds. however, having said all that, skip the tv, you'll be amazed! bring paints, your daughter will find tons of things to paint, things to collect, etc.

also, there are no stupid questions. campers are a unique group, always there when you need them. heck, I learn every time I'm camping.

example? on my 6th camper, been camping 27 years as a parent. this new unit? couldn't get the running lights on. had brakes, blinkers, no running lights. know what the "problem" was? hah, AUTOMATIC lights in the truck! all we had to do was switch to headlights. lol. smart people never stop asking questions and never too old to learn.

enjoy! best move you ever made for your family! ~~Ricky T's