Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Question Very odd electrical issue

Hi everyone,

I was preparing our camper for a weekend trip yesterday and I plugged it into the home 110 outlet to start cooling the fridge. When I plugged it in, I noticed that the AC came on so I went in to cut it off. Well, before I got to it, it tripped a breaker in the house. I cut it off and reset the breaker.
Here's where the odd stuff started happening:
I can get power to the camper now but most of the lights and the fridge will not get power unless I turn on the light over the sink. When I turn on the light over the sink, everything seems to start working again. However if I turn the light on over the sink and then turn another light on, I can cut the light off over the sink and everything will continue to work. I've checked all fuses and breakers in the camper and all is fine. The combination of lights on / lights off to get things to work is really frustrating. Has anyone ever seen this?

thanks
Greg
gtbiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Sounds like a short somewhere.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

I'd check first for an open ground. Tripping the breaker in the house may have been a separate problem. If it is a short I'd think the breaker would not reset. Did any of the fuses in the RV blow? Turning the light on over the sink may be completing a circuit that is otherwise open -ie -an open ground. That should not be true but it sure seems like it.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

I had to keep reading your post. It is a head scratcher. Perhaps you have a corroded connection? You should be able to find this by the heat generated (smoke!) at the bad connection. This could be on either side on the circuit. You may be able to find it with a multi-meter - test for excessive amperage (current) since resistance will be high. Worst case, may be more than one bad connection.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
You have a bad neutral connection some where.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #6

I agree......bad neutral (retired SC electrical contractor--yes, we DO have electricity in SC)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You had better get yourself a Progressive Industries EMS Power System Protection Device that would have shown you to have a bad neutral when you had plugged into your circuit at home.

A bad neutral is one of the worst things for a coach. If it had happen with a 30 amp or 50 amp shore power supply, I am sure you would be replacing many electrical devices inside your coach as a result.

Very cheap insurance for protecting your coach and yourself.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
A open neutral in the coach will not show on a EMS that is between the coach and
the shore power outlet. It only looks at the power that it plugs into.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Side Note
Unless the EMS has a EFIC to monitor its output.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

I wonder if the house circuit breaker was a Ground Fault type, and tripped because it sensed a problem with the RV...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #11

Unplug the trailer until you find the bad connection,or you might complete the circuit with your body when you reach for the door! Art.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
Unplug the trailer until you find the bad connection,or you might complete the circuit with your body when you reach for the door! Art.
YUP - my thinking exactly!

And for sure, sounds like a grounding issue - I'd start by checking and tightening ALL wire connections at the main power panel of the RV, especially the grounds, and then trace those grounds down to the frame of the RV to check them as well. I had to do that on our older '88 Winnie, and ultimately, had to completely remove and re-do those frame ground returns, new connectors and all - plus grinding the frame grounding point down to clean metal, and using a good quality inhibitor to protect the connections against corrosion.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. We went ahead and went to the campground and haven't had any problems while connected to the 30amp plug at the site. I wonder if it's just a problem while plugged into the 110 at home. Could there be a difference that may cause that?

Thanks again
Greg.
gtbiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Moving the unit down the road may have caused a loose connection to make contact
again until the next time.

Tags
electrical