Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Vibration in Slideout while AC is running

Hello everyone! I am the proud new owner of a coleman TT and new to TT camping as well. We just bought this 2011 coleman ULT225KS which is a 26 ish foot with a rear bed slide out. Last night was our first night in the camper and we noticed that while the AC is running there is a horribly loud and annoying sound and vibration. Is this an issue with the rear slide which will plague this camper forever? What can i do to make this go away?
mattholew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, step one is to go topside, pull the cover off the A/C, then pull the "inner cover" off the condensor (There should be n easily removed top cover) and inspect the fan for Klingons, (Things that cling to the fan and should not be there) I brushed 3 big globs of something off my fan,, out of 4 segments. so you know it used to vibrate.

While you are up there.. Give it a good cleaning all over. Epically the condenser itself.

NOTE: no reason Klingons can not inhabit the blower part either.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

Since it's new, take it back, recreate the situation, and have the dealer check it and fix it.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ditto on the dealer and new.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

X3! Don't give the dealer a chance to blame you for taking something apart and causing a problem. After the warranty is expired you may have many opportunities to fix something yourself.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #6

Thanks for all the response. I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. I ended up taking it back to Camping World in Woodstock, GA where I bought it from. They took it in and recreated the situation, Micheal, the head of service called me and said he was able to hear and feel what i was talking about and said it was what he would call a reverb instead of a vibration, which does describe it a little better. Anyway, he called Coleman and got the go ahead to open the AC unit to check the things that you guys mentioned here. When they get to it in a few days I will update this thread on how things turn out.

They are also supposed to fix my non-working Jensen omnidirectional antenna booster and find the set of keys they never gave me for the door nearest the tongue.

Hopefully, all these issues will be worked out and I will have a great trailer for my Family and I to use for many years.

Oh, and I made a mistake on the unit, its a Coleman CTU225ks.

If any of you have a Coleman TT, I would love to hear your opinions on these Trailers.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Just to update the thread:

I took the TT back to Camping World in Woodstock where I bought it for them to fix, they said they needed to replace the squirrel cage and that would fix it. They did after two weeks of waiting on a part, then I got a call saying that after they replaced the squirrel cage the AC would not work at all and that they needed to get an approval from Coleman to replace the unit entirely. I called yesterday to check on the status and I talked to another rep there, he said the unit was supposed to be in yesterday but did not show up. Hopefully we will have good news today. I miss my Camper and wish they would hurry up and fix this problem, I would like to be using the item I am paying for.

Here is a picture of the trailer before I took it in, for those of us who love to see pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3879823747.png
Views:	164
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	11690   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-607041688.png
Views:	150
Size:	1,016.1 KB
ID:	11691  

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several things that can cause vibration and overly loud noise in an air conditioner.. Most of them are "Topside" (on the roof) and it might be worth you while, if the dealer will let you, to sit there and watch as the technician fixes it.. Most are easily fixed.

however as others have said. IT IS NEW, IT IS UNDER WARRANTY, so rather than risk making a mess.. I'd return to the dealer and have them fix it.

I had the same problem on my bedroom A/C and... It was indeed easily fixed

I had the same problem on a Window A/C.. (I caused that one though) not so easily fixed, had to order a part.

But in any case it's a good idea to watch as the technician can explain the rooftop half of routine maintenance while you are up there.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #9

Just got a call, the Coleman is fixed according to them. I will go and pick it up tomorrow. I will update this thread once I pick it up.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you leave the dealer. plug it in, run out the slide and check the A/C. If it is not satisfactory, do not take the trailer. Do not sign any paperwork until you check it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #11

I did just that and it appears they have at least significantly reduced the vibration but there is still some there. I am guessing it may just be due to the design, at least it's tolerable now. If it starts to vibrate heavily again after I tow it home, I will take it back again. I wish I would have noticed this about this model before I bought it, I would not have opted for a rear slide with a bed in it. Oh well, live and learn, its still a very nice trailer regardless. I may just be too picky.