Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Smile Viking 17FQ questions

Hello. We sold our 34' class A awhile back and we're thinking of buying a Viking 17fq(s). There's just 3 of us - 2 retired adults and a Sheepadoodle. We want to see more of the NP's out west and, I'm wondering what are the 'pro's & con's' of the TT. From what I've been reading, owners are happy with the Viking 17fq. There's a new model 17FQS which has a dining room slide-out for an extra $2k (I think). Anyone think it's worth the cost? We had large holding tanks on the class A. Are the smaller Viking tanks an issue? What was your dry camping routine? Any towing issues? What did you change or update in your TT? Thanks for viewing. Randy.
high5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by high5 View Post
Hello. We sold our 34' class A awhile back and we're thinking of buying a Viking 17fq(s). There's just 3 of us - 2 retired adults and a Sheepadoodle. We want to see more of the NP's out west and, I'm wondering what are the 'pro's & con's' of the TT. From what I've been reading, owners are happy with the Viking 17fq. There's a new model 17FQS which has a dining room slide-out for an extra $2k (I think). Anyone think it's worth the cost? We had large holding tanks on the class A. Are the smaller Viking tanks an issue? What was your dry camping routine? Any towing issues? What did you change or update in your TT? Thanks for viewing. Randy.
We have a '16 17FQ. Get the slide. Ours never had that option. It is small. We like the trailer. We also replaced the mattress after one trip. The stock one is useless unless you like back pain. We took it out to a number of great FS spots this last summer here in Colorado. Had a blast. This next summer we are taking it to Oregon from Colorado. We're expecting no problems at all. It's the wife and I and to two Chihuahua's They pretty much just hang on the bed.

I just checked out the new FQS online here. I'm a little ticked..lol To early to trade? Also, to ad more info the furnace works REALLY good. Cooks us. We've never had to use the Air here in Colorado, but I am sure it works fine. The holding tanks are indeed only 25 gallons so planing is in order for longer boon-docking trips. 4 days or semi careful usage is about when we had to go dump. YMMV. Our trailblazer pulls in ok.. we get about 11 - 12 mpg if I keep her around 62mph.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
We have a '16 17FQ. Get the slide. Ours never had that option. It is small. We like the trailer. We also replaced the mattress after one trip. The stock one is useless unless you like back pain. We took it out to a number of great FS spots this last summer here in Colorado. Had a blast. This next summer we are taking it to Oregon from Colorado. We're expecting no problems at all. It's the wife and I and to two Chihuahua's They pretty much just hang on the bed.

I just checked out the new FQS online here. I'm a little ticked..lol To early to trade? Also, to ad more info the furnace works REALLY good. Cooks us. We've never had to use the Air here in Colorado, but I am sure it works fine. The holding tanks are indeed only 25 gallons so planing is in order for longer boon-docking trips. 4 days or semi careful usage is about when we had to go dump. YMMV. Our trailblazer pulls in ok.. we get about 11 - 12 mpg if I keep her around 62mph.
Thanks Starbreaker. So far, everyone I've talked to likes the 17FQ. What mattress did you buy? DO you have solar power or a genset? Do you have a TV?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks Starbreaker. So far, everyone I've talked to likes the 17FQ. What mattress did you buy? DO you have solar power or a genset? Do you have a TV?

We got this one. It works pretty well.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...OI&searchidx=1

We are picking up a Champion 3000 watt genny this spring and also a 19"lcd dvd combo tv before the trip.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
We got this one. It works pretty well.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...OI&searchidx=1

We are picking up a Champion 3000 watt genny this spring and also a 19"lcd dvd combo tv before the trip.
I,m looking at Champion Inverter-Generators also. I might go with two 2000 watters and run parallel when needed. That keeps the weight per unit a little easier to handle and gives some redundancy also. The only downside I can see is the fuel tanks are small so run-time maybe be an issue. I'm going to contact Champion and talk to them about this before I decide.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I,m looking at Champion Inverter-Generators also. I might go with two 2000 watters and run parallel when needed. That keeps the weight per unit a little easier to handle and gives some redundancy also. The only downside I can see is the fuel tanks are small so run-time maybe be an issue. I'm going to contact Champion and talk to them about this before I decide.

I still toss going back and forth on that as well. I live way out in the country and during winter blizzards we loose power. Having a couple little gennies vs. the one bigger one is not a bad idea. Plus, it gives options when camping. take just one for not so hot areas or both for when I need the a/c.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Not to rain on the parade; The cargo carrying capacity of the Viking line (17 fqs) is only 133# with 33 gall H2O in the water tank. You might consider https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...nie/floorplans

7,000# GVWR
As for the generator, I went with 2 Honda 2000i as they are easy to move about. Only need two for running the A/C, otherwize one will do everything else. Quiet!
Enjoy
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Not to rain on the parade; The cargo carrying capacity of the Viking line (17 fqs) is only 133# with 33 gall H2O in the water tank. You might consider https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...nie/floorplans

7,000# GVWR
As for the generator, I went with 2 Honda 2000i as they are easy to move about. Only need two for running the A/C, otherwise one will do everything else. Quiet!
Enjoy
Honda is way to much $$ for my blood. Champion has great reviews and work well and are only 1 or 2 db louder.

oh and that weight is not right. leaves you 474lbs to play with to the GVWR not 133#
Old 01-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

cruzbill - you bring up a possible issue with the 17FQS. The CCC of a 17FQ is 749# and 408# for the 17FQS. A full fresh tank will weigh ~ 280#. That leaves 369# (FQ) and 128# (FQS). My tow vehicle is a GMC pickup, crew cab, short box w/topper so, I can carry a lot in the truck. Any genny combo capable of running AC will weigh 100#+ and that pretty much gobbles up the FQS CCC. So, starbreaker, maybe the 17FQ is a better choice.

The Mini Winnie is nice but the E/W bed and small bathroom are a deal breaker for us (I'm 6' 4" 235#).

The Champion does seem to be the best thing going for the price, that competes well with Yamaha & Honda. I've seen several side by side db tests and it's a toss up. But it's not only about the db number. The Honda does have a less annoying sound and can seem more quiet. Is it worth the extra $1500+ per 2000W unit - maybe if you have the cash. Currently, two Champion 2000W + parallel kit will cost just under $1000. I'm also going to add an extended run-time tank using an external low pressure genny fuel pump ($10). Modification to the Champion is modest and requires tubing, a tee, and disconnect. The Honda only requires a special tank cap (no mods) to add an external tank. Yamaha & Honda also have pretty high resale value. All three gennys seem to have about the same TBF so, maintenance costs will be similar. Youtube teardown videos suggest that the Champion is much easier for DIY repairs, if you're so inclined. I'm a retired engineer so that's a plus for me.

Great discussion. Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
cruzbill - you bring up a possible issue with the 17FQS. The CCC of a 17FQ is 749# and 408# for the 17FQS. A full fresh tank will weigh ~ 280#. That leaves 369# (FQ) and 128# (FQS). My tow vehicle is a GMC pickup, crew cab, short box w/topper so, I can carry a lot in the truck. Any genny combo capable of running AC will weigh 100#+ and that pretty much gobbles up the FQS CCC. So, starbreaker, maybe the 17FQ is a better choice.

The Mini Winnie is nice but the E/W bed and small bathroom are a deal breaker for us (I'm 6' 4" 235#).

The Champion does seem to be the best thing going for the price, that competes well with Yamaha & Honda. I've seen several side by side db tests and it's a toss up. But it's not only about the db number. The Honda does have a less annoying sound and can seem more quiet. Is it worth the extra $1500+ per 2000W unit - maybe if you have the cash. Currently, two Champion 2000W + parallel kit will cost just under $1000. I'm also going to add an extended run-time tank using an external low pressure genny fuel pump ($10). Modification to the Champion is modest and requires tubing, a tee, and disconnect. The Honda only requires a special tank cap (no mods) to add an external tank. Yamaha & Honda also have pretty high resale value. All three gennys seem to have about the same TBF so, maintenance costs will be similar. Youtube teardown videos suggest that the Champion is much easier for DIY repairs, if you're so inclined. I'm a retired engineer so that's a plus for me.

Great discussion. Thanks guys.
Thank you for the minor correction.. I forgot to even look at the FQS's weights. Just looked at what I had in the FQ.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

We travel with an 82 pound Lab, and I would want a little more space for rainy days.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you for the minor correction.. I forgot to even look at the FQS's weights. Just looked at what I had in the FQ.
I'm rethinking about buying the FQS. If I ever want to use a smaller tow vehicle, those numbers become more important. Everyone seems to like the FQ without the slide. I've been waiting for the local dealer to get an FQS to compare with the FQ but, I think I'll go over soon and see if the FQ will work for us.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
We travel with an 82 pound Lab, and I would want a little more space for rainy days.
Our Sheepadoodle is 77# but she does well in small spaces. We'll get something larger if she has a problem.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1485236494
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #14

We pull our 21' TT (one slide, island walk-around bed) 7,000 gvw, tandem axle, with our Jeep Grand Cherokee (v-8). Perfect tow combo. The same mfg, Sunnybrook (now Winnebago) made a 20' (east-west bed) that we pulled with our Jeep Liberty (v-6) towed great! One qualifier: Sunnybrook used hitch to bumper length when listing trailer length. Floor length (all other mfgs) on the 21' is just over 17'. Shortest TT I found that had a walk-around bed (no midnight gymnastics)!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote