Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
GPW

Wanted: a light Comfortable sofa...

Guys , I've got this dinette thingie' in my Jayco ... like sitting on a rock ... I'd like to yank all that out and replace it with a nice Sofa ... something Soft to slouch on ... perhaps nap (sorry , old guy) Regular furniture store sofas seem a bit Heavy ... the comfortable ones anyway .. Camping stuff is back to the rock ... Anybody know of a good lightweight sofa/reclining platform that would be suitable ??? Do I have to make my own ??? Not the first time ... Trying to manage my tow weight or I'd put a big old school sofa in there , with lots of pillows ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
GPW

The wife approved the change , but asked how I'll get a sofa through the door ... Oops !!! Never thought of that ... yet another consideration ...

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
GPW

OK, How about a Futon and a bunch of throw pillows ... ??? Anything's better than that factory dinette...
Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
GPW

No ideas !!! Well anyway , started removing the dinette yesterday ... under one side is the water tank ... That's gotta' go ...
Since my trailer is exclusively for a very specialized manner of camping (hurricane EVAC), and with the likelihood of being connected to city water All the time ... Thought I'd mount that tank outside , paint it black and use it as a Solar water heater... Eliminating Propane in the trailer , going all electric (I know , but it's what we need for this )

Checked out some commercial sofas/sleepers ... Most were waay too Heavy ... Futon's looking better ... for now anyway ...
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #5

We are looking at doing the same thing. We are looking at a couple of sofas from Ikea. Don't know if you have one nearby. You might be able to look online as well. If you find something, let me know.
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Probably too late if you've started to rip it out, but I just folded mine down into the bed position, bought two thick memory foam mattresses and a bunch of pillows and it's cozy and comfortable, not only to lounge (as on a couch), but to sit up and read or sit around and gab with visitors.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
GPW

Hobo, The plan is to have a more "homey" feel , rather than just a reclining platform ... Still looking ...
Chem , if I find something I'll let you know ...
Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Hobo, The plan is to have a more "homey" feel , rather than just a reclining platform ... Still looking ...
Chem , if I find something I'll let you know ...
Gotcha. No matter what I do in my little 21 footer, it isn't going to look like home, but then that's not what I want. I want to feel like I'm NOT home! Our motorhome felt more like home on wheels. We had the table and chairs which took some storage space away, but were certainly more comfortable.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
GPW

Table and chairs is a Nice idea !!! Much more practical than a sofa...probably lighter too , even with two NICE chairs Hmmmm??
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Modular Seating

I've got a slick Factory Table in my Avion TT. The attached Leg folds out to hold up the far end of the Table when deployed. No threaded Flange on the Floor, etc.. The Table folds up/down from upper, permanent Hinges and the 'far' end just clears the Floor at the Wall when down. I wouldn't recommend it necessarily, but there's 2 inserts - just as in a Home Dining Room Table - that make the Table long enough to seat 6. The folded down Table even hides behind shallow Cabinet Doors to hide it, but that's overkill to me. It's nice to not have the Table attempt to serve dual purposes of Table and Dinette Bed middle section, so you can mount it and be done with it. Leaves could hinge up and lock out and make the Table different sizes, depending on creative Carpentry. Another support trick is to make the single hinged Leg fold back at 45 degrees to where the Wall meets the Floor.

There are trick Hinges that slide sideways and separate the 2 Hinge sections so that this new Table can be removed from the Wall and stored elsewhere.

For Chairs, we use some nice Wood ones that fold up and are ~2" thick when stored. Thin back and seat cushions that are one piece 'assemblies' slip over the Chair backs and provide instant cushioning.

What I like about this setup is that the Chairs are nice for eating; using the PC; and for just sitting or playing Board Games. You can have it all w/o taking up loads of space, yet you've got clear space with the Table folded down.

We picked up 2 neato Chairs on sale that adjust from 'sit up straight' Chairs down to comfy outdoor Recliners. We'll use them primarily outside, but they would fit inside just fine with the Table above not deployed.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Table and chairs is a Nice idea !!! Much more practical than a sofa...probably lighter too , even with two NICE chairs Hmmmm??
I think it would be nice. Two comfortable chairs with a small table for lamp, drinks, etc. They even have small recliners that don't need additional room to recline.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
GPW

I ran this table idea past the wife ... She actually liked it ...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #13
GPW

Big Trouble in River City !!! Took the dinette out ... found some soft spots in the flooring , right under a window , I paid the dealer to re-seal ... Upon checking , it would appear that Nothing was done ... no sealer , nothing ... grrrr!!!
Good thing I did this or I'd have never found the rot ....
Worse , under the flooring is just bare wood , nothing is sealed to prevent this ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette after .jpg
Views:	71
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	8513  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Big Trouble in River City !!! Took the dinette out ... found some soft spots in the flooring , right under a window , I paid the dealer to re-seal ... Upon checking , it would appear that Nothing was done ... no sealer , nothing ... grrrr!!!
Good thing I did this or I'd have never found the rot ....
Worse , under the flooring is just bare wood , nothing is sealed to prevent this ....
Oh, wow! Name the dealer. He deserves some bad press. Sorry you ran into the trouble, but you're right--good thing you found the trouble. I hope you can get it fixed quickly. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!