Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Warm water

The water heater in my Fleetwood Terry cycles on long enough to warm the water, but there is never enough for a shower. What's with that?
What do I need to check first? I'm a newbie with no owners manual.

Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
First thing I would check is, if you have an outside shower, make sure the taps are turned off.

Ted E
2013 Thor ACE 29.2
Ted E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
What kind of a water heater is it? sounds like a hi temp. switch problem.......
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
You may only have 6 gallons to work with. If you are taking a long, hot shower like you do at home, it's gonna be tough. Turn off the water while soaping up.

I run both the electric and propane at the same time, which makes a big difference. The recovery on propane is usually faster than electric, but on mine, I can also run both together.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Check the flame - is it blue or yellow & sooty? We had a spider in venturi tube on ours and it didn't do much until I cleaned it out.
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually
2010 R-Vision Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Top cause of "only warm water" covered above (Outside shower).
Top cause of "not enough hot water" also covered above (6 gallon heater)

Top solution to Not enough: Oxygenetics Shower Head.. I installed one a couple days ago and am about to use it (have used in the past at one campground that had them) they are a bit different, In my RV the install involved ZERO tools.. Just hands.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
Atwood Mixing Valve Repair
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As stated above I do the below:
1. Oxygenetics Shower Head
2. Electric element on and gas on at the same time
3. Turn water off while soaping up

If it is just me showering I can take a 10 minute shower with the hot water on most of the time without running out of hot water. In fact, I've never taken one long enough to run out so I can't say how long it will go. When my wife is going to shower after me I practice conservation so she is guaranteed a hot shower.
TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

Many thanks for your input. I have learned from several sources that I most likely have thermostat problems. I found a 40-page Atwood manual online that really covers all the possibilities, then a company spokesperson promptly gave me more information and two parts numbers, for a gas and an electric thermostat. --Lark
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get the feeling from reading the original post it starts out hot but then gets warm/cold. This is a matter of too long in the shower.

First you can try the navy style shower, Only run water when needed, I have done that in the past when using the RV shower, MANY RV showers have a cut-off switch/valve in the head, mine did not , got one at a big-box home improvement store (They are the standard size) and installed... Got another when I got my Oxygenics head last week. Liking that new head.. Uses about 1/3 less water per the lit.

And that is the other thing you can do, Oxygenics, but I said that already.. NOTE: since I put my original quarter turn valve at the start of the hose (both heads are telephone type) I did not use the one that came with the Oygencis.. I now have 3 shower heads in this coach, ONe for use in selected government parks in the winter.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Have you checked your bypass valves if they are all in the open position you could be mixing cold water with the hot. I would think a bad thermostat would prevent it from producing any hot water it would all be the same temperature.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
warm water

Agreeing with ELF111, we had our bypass valve on & it will mix cold with hot & all you will get is warm water in the faucets even though the heater has the water heated. Don't ask how long this went on before we found the cause. Pop open the overflow carefully & you will know if the water is hot & the bypass is the culprit.
anthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had to replace the mixer valve in our Atwood - major pain, requiring removing a wall by the clothes washer/dryer to get to it. Once repaired/bypassed, there is tons of hot water for showers. As noted, if the water is HOT in the tank as checked by gently releasing some water through the pop off/overflow valve on the heater, I'd suspect the mixer valve as the culprit.
Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As noted, if the water is HOT in the tank as checked by gently releasing some water through the pop off/overflow valve on the heater, I'd suspect the mixer valve as the culprit.
That is a good idea. Run the hot water in the shower till you get to that point where it turns cooler. Then go outside and flip the pop-off valve. What is the water temperature there?

We have a DSI gas / electric water heater. The water is super hot....Taking a shower I might be only using a 50/50 mix between hot and cold. Yes, I do turn the showerhead slide button off between wetting down and soaping up, but have never run out of hot water. Just to play it safe, the next one in the shower will wait about 15 minutes before they take their's. They must insulate the hot water tank good, because even if I turn off that night, in the morning the water is still warm.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

warm water