Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Waste Tank Chemicals

Just got our first travel trailer, it will be parked on a lot and left. I see many products available for treating waste in the waste holding tanks. Have even read some water softener/ laundry soap/bleach home treatments. What is a good ecomonical additive for waste treatment? Is biodegradable toilet tissue neccessary? Thanks much.
kamperken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

...and congrats on your new rig!

You'll find a lot of debate on this topic but many/most full timers use either nothing or, like I do, put 1/4 cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the tank with a few gallons of water following dumping. As for TP, I think it's all biodegradable but you probably want to look for something which is septic safe. Many folks suggest single ply but I use 2 ply.

good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been rving for over thirty years and have tried most of the stuff. Found none of it is necessary, just do a good flush. RV toilet paper is the biggest repoff of all. Just use what you use at home. All TP is biodegradable unless it is made of synthetic fibers. The secret, if you want to call it that, is to use plenty of water. After dumping put about 5 gal. of water in the tank before using.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No chemicals.

Special RV toilet paper is not necessary.

Most toilet paper marked "safe for use in septic systems" is OK.

Just wet a piece of your favorite paper. If it starts to come apart, it's OK.

I use Scott.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second Rt-66, Special paper not needed,, In fact I recommend against the most common brands of "RV-TP" (Tethford)

Scotts is very good, as is Angle Soft,, you may wish to avoid "Quilted" brands... Tetford (The RV type most often found in stores) is a nice grade of sandpaper. And I might add one of the slowest disolving in many of the tests that have been done. No reason to spend extra money on TP.

And even the worst Qulited brands break down faster than I can zip up, go out and pull the valve.

Now: Chemicals.... The very best chemical to use is good old Hydrogen Hydroxide.. Perhaps you know it by anoher name.. WATER.

The various treatments sold in the stored really do not do much good, HOWEVER if you are going to be a long time between dumps (more than 4 days) you might try one of the Biologicl products (Waste Digester types) They may also help with cleaning of sensors.

For a good cleaning of the tank read up on the GEO method which is fully described in several places on most every RV forum in existence. It uses Dawn Dishwashing liquid Calgon Water softener and water, yes water, my favorite chemical.. on and driving.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
wa8yxm said it.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
So I am on the other side of this no chemical debate. Just thought you would like to hear from the other side of the coin. We use the little indivual bags that we buy at WallMart. It is in a blue & white box, don't know the name brand. We tried the Geo Method for about 6-8 weeks & we were not happy with the results. We dump our black tank about every 3 weeks. I cleaned the tank & was very vigiliant about following the Geo method. It did not work for us, we still had some odor, so we went back to the chemicals & add water for 2 min from the flush & hose after dumping.

For TP we use scott or angel soft.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The only time we've used chemicals was when we were at rallies for several days (in 90-degree heat & parked on blacktop, I might add) with no sewer hook ups. We've found plenty of water & cheap toilet paper work just fine any other time because we either had fhu's or were only without sewer for a day or 2 on a weekend.

We do use the Dawn dish detergent (the original blue stuff, not any of the other formulas) to clean between outtings. 1/4c with about 5 gallons of water to slosh around while driving home keeps the tanks & sensors clean...for us, anyway.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

I have used 1/2 cup of Borax with each tank emptying. I got tired of the odors when the camper was sitting and this put an end to it. Says safe for septic systems, softens water, repels roaches and other pests. Good for what ais ya! and it is cheap too.
jlbmagna is offline   Reply With Quote