Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
GPW

Ship, Glad you enjoyed it ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #30
ccc

See an EVERGREEN TT assembled.
Google Evergreen , NO wood at all in construction, all vacuum bagged like high end boats.
We have a 31RLS

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
G, cargo conversion like this Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: View topic - A 12 ft. FEATHERLITE conversion

Dog, Their haste (lack of OC) shows up , just after the warranty expires (how convenient)... otherwise they're forced to deal with it ... and they do ... TG for that !!! After that you are at the mercy of the dealer , who charges more an hour than a brain surgeon ...

I even read where these smaller trailers are considered "disposable " (by the manufacturers)... Never was told any of this before the sale ....

thanks, G
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #32

I watched the video-seems to me that these guys were really hustling rear to get them done. I am wary about builds like that. How can you not have errors or problems when your cranking them out so fast? That equals to teams building 4 from start to finish each day to meet their quotas. Now while I realize they were also light weights, I wasn't impressed with their construction-too flimsy looking at least by the video. I just didn't see quality being put into it, just speed and more speed. Doesn't send me to a dealer to want to buy one I can assure you.

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #33
GPW

Posting that video looks like a BIG marketing mistake ... just shows the public how much care they take (not) during assembly ... Now, one can only expect they take that much care making the sub assemblies also ... Maybe if they slowed the video down , so they didn't look like mindless worker ants in a colony... Sorta' makes you wonder what the "burn out " level is there .... Doing the same repetitive work day after day can't be much Fun or inspire workers to do a quality job ... just quick , pop out another one ... guessing they don't hire rocket scientists either ... when a trained primate would do ...

Wish I'd seen that video before I bought one ...
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #34

I'm sure all the other manufacturers have multiple rocket scientists on the payroll being supervised by at least 3 staff engineers and have a third party QC company on contract.
BTW an rv is not a rocket, it is not even anywhere near as complicated as a subcompact car but just google how fast cars are built. And don't use the automated excuse, there is still an enormous number of people who are required to put hands on the cars to get them built.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #35

WOW - methods have changed in the last 30 years... I used to build Go Tag-A-Long trailers in the late 70's... everything was done by hand.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #36

Its a vehhicle on an assembly line. I dont see a major problem with hustling to get your work done. After a 2nd look at the video they are hustling more from station to station and not so much while doing theire own work. Depending on how they handle an 'ooooppps' in this process may be the real culprit with a quality issue. ..And I'm not just saying that because that is the exact TT I'm interested in buying.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #37
GPW

WP, hope you have LOTS of Money !!! You'll need it !!!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
My own experience, having owned 3 Jaycos (a Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels), is that Jayco builds a very good RV at its particular price point and has always been willing to go the extra mile insofar as customer service is concerned. Best of luck with your Jay Flight and I hope it gives you years of enjoyment and good service.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
WOW - methods have changed in the last 30 years... I used to build Go Tag-A-Long trailers in the late 70's... everything was done by hand.
The guy that works on my TT says that I should hold on to it and make the upgrades (as I need/want) to it as long as the size works for me.

He said that even though it's 25 years old, it is solid and was made well-- no leaks, even today.

He said he works on far more TT's/5'ers that are less than five years old with leaks (mostly roof) that he has to repair. The term that 'they do not make them like they used to' is still accurate.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
The guy that works on my TT says that I should hold on to it and make the upgrades (as I need/want) to it as long as the size works for me.

He said that even though it's 25 years old, it is solid and was made well-- no leaks, even today.

He said he works on far more TT's/5'ers that are less than five years old with leaks (mostly roof) that he has to repair. The term that 'they do not make them like they used to' is still accurate.

Sheila

Quality is still available today, you just have to look harder to find it, and pay more for it, G
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #41
GPW

Quote: "He said he works on far more TT's/5'ers that are less than five years old with leaks (mostly roof) that he has to repair. The term that 'they do not make them like they used to' is still accurate. "
I'd have been more than happy to pay extra for a Good roof !!! That was never mentioned at the time of sale ... Turns out it is the "weakest link" in the whole design ... causing ALL the repair/de-lamination problems ... even an extra couple thousand would have been fine initially ... Now it's cost me MANY thousands to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place ...

Tags
evergreen