Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Water Heater Anode/Drain Plug; First Time Removal

Today I winterized our new rig for the first time. The drain and fill with RV anti-freeze method is the one I used. This has worked for me for many years on prior rigs without purging with air.

All went exactly as planned except I had one heck of a time removing the anode/drain plug from the water heater. I didn't have a cheater bar that would fit my socket wrench so I resorted to a 5 lb sledge hammer. Eventually it came out. The plug had been originally installed (at the Suburban factory presumably) without any thread compound and only a very small amount of teflon tape.

So, if you plan to remove your water heater anode/drain plug for the first time in your new rig, be prepared for a wrench turning experience.

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Today I winterized our new rig for the first time. The drain and fill with RV anti-freeze method is the one I used. This has worked for me for many years on prior rigs without purging with air.

All went exactly as planned except I had one heck of a time removing the anode/drain plug from the water heater. I didn't have a cheater bar that would fit my socket wrench so I resorted to a 5 lb sledge hammer. Eventually it came out. The plug had been originally installed (at the Suburban factory presumably) without any thread compound and only a very small amount of teflon tape.

So, if you plan to remove your water heater anode/drain plug for the first time in your new rig, be prepared for a wrench turning experience.

Bob
I just completed my winterization today as well and had the same tough time removing the anode/drain plug. Didn't have to use a sledge hammer...a nice neighbour with a very long handle socket wrench removed it.
i purged the lines with air and then used RV anti freeze.
This was the first winterization with the new hot water tank...so far so good.
Coops

Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

Doing the winterization ourselves helps us become more familiar with our RV's. Any problems we encounter are more easily fixed based on how much we understand our TT's.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

Some manufactures do not recommend any type of sealer or anti seize compounds. Their rationale is that the anode is no use if it is metallically bonded. Personally I use Teflon tape or paste and never had a problem.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

U have a question as this is 1st time winterizing a trailer. You folks pull water heater drain plug but can i blow compressed air through the street water fill then tank to get all water out of system. Then turn my bypass to water heater off and pump antifreeze into the water lines and fill p-traps also.

Thank you Tom
Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

All of the water would not be removed. The air would go up through the water and out through the hot line. Drain the tank, turn the bypass and then blow out the lines. Pretty easy and saves you money.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Completely drain the hot water tank..by removing the drain plug on the hotwater tank and open the pressure relief valve. Stand to the side when you open the pressure relief valve....so you don't get soaked. Follow the great directions from 09 Harley.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
All of the water would not be removed. The air would go up through the water and out through the hot line. Drain the tank, turn the bypass and then blow out the lines. Pretty easy and saves you money.
Every spring there are owners that show up here and complain that they blew out the lines but they still froze and broke. Air gets blown through the low points without removing the water, it freezes and the pipes break. Best way is to blow out the lines, bypass the water heater and then install antifreeze.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I carry a wrench and Teflon tape in the trailer that fits the anode rod. I make it a habit to open the low points, faucets and remove the anode rod after each camping trip. I got tired of bad water contaminating the system and having to use bleach to correct it.
Plus with that 10 gallons of water not in the water heater it gives me the upper hand when needing to pass fords and dodges on our step mountain passes.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I carry a wrench and Teflon tape in the trailer that fits the anode rod. I make it a habit to open the low points, faucets and remove the anode rod after each camping trip. I got tired of bad water contaminating the system and having to use bleach to correct it.
Plus with that 10 gallons of water not in the water heater it gives me the upper hand when needing to pass fords and dodges on our step mountain passes.
I enjoyed looking at some of the photos from your link. But the unrelenting, jiggling pop up ads sent me packing before I could finish.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #11

Some RVs have quite a bit of plumbing associated with the bypass system. I have always drained the water heater first. Then blow out the system before selecting bypass. Finally select bypass and fill with antifreeze.

This method will make sure that very little, if any, water remains in the bypassed plumbing.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

What do you use to blow out the lines....duh an air compressor...but what attaches it air hose to the rv
Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohler30 View Post
What do you use to blow out the lines....duh an air compressor...but what attaches it air hose to the rv
One of these:
Blow Out Plug Brass W/Quick Connect - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

There is also one with a Schreader valve fitting for an air chuck.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #14

Thanks a lot I am still new and my first winterizing is under way

Tags
heater, removal, water, water heater