Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
RLB

Water heater bypass

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Wildnerss lite, trying to figure out the water heater by pass. I have plenty of hot water in the tank but only warm water at the faucets. I'm thinking it has to do with the by pass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

Had a buddy with this same issue. His bypass had three valves. #1 - shut water off/on going in to the hot water tank. #2 - shut water off/on coming out of the hot water tank. #3 bypassed the hot water tank entirely, essentially connecting the cold water intake to the hot supply line. To winterize, you need to open 3 to let antifreeze flow through the lines, and close 1&2 to keep it out of the hot water tank. When he prepped for the summer, he forgot to close 3, but did open 1&2. So, water flowed into the tank and got hot, and the hot flowed out of the tank. But since 3 was still open, it mixed equal parts of hot and cold, resulting in Luke warm water at the faucets. He had to remove a panel to see that 3rd valve. I would bet that is your issue too. Good luck!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
This is a very simple photo of a winter bypass system. When the center valve is OFF (handle perpendicular to pipe) and the other two ON, water flows through the water heater. Your valves might not be so close to the back of the water heater as this, but that's the idea for a 3 valve set up.

Also make sure no shower valve, inside or out, is perhaps set with hot and cold on and the shower head shut off turned off. That happens, especially at outside showers and causes hot and cold to mix.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

If equipped with an outdoor spigot or shower, make sure both hot/cold knobs are turned off even though you aren't using them.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
If equipped with an outdoor spigot or shower, make sure both hot/cold knobs are turned off even though you aren't using them.
I suspect that this is what the problem is. It could be either the outside shower or the inside one if the faucets are on and the shower head is turned off. The open faucets allow the hot and cold water to mix. This is not an uncommon problem.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I suspect that this is what the problem is. It could be either the outside shower or the inside one if the faucets are on and the shower head is turned off. The open faucets allow the hot and cold water to mix. This is not an uncommon problem.
I am not sure I understand. "faucets or on and shower head turned off"
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #7

on your shower head itself there is usually an on/off slider valve . It looks like a dowel pin , about 1/4 inch in diameter and is usually right next to the shower head itself , or in the handle if your shower is so equipped . You push on that "pin" and you can shut the water flow off or turn it on and maintain the settings on the handles so your water is always " just right " . That also allows water in the lines to travel from hot to cold or vice-versa because the supply handles are on so there is an open connection between the 2 lines . This happens a lot on outside showers and once you leave the shower its out of site , out of mind . Hope that makes sense to you .
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I am not sure I understand. "faucets or on and shower head turned off"
Many RV showers, inside or outside, have a shut off valve on the shower hose or head. This way, once you adjust water temperature with hot and cold valves, you can save water while you soap up by turning off the water flow at the shower head. If the outside shower has hot and cold valves open, but the shower head closed, (often by twisting the spray head or a portion of the hand held sprayer) it can cause hot & cold to mix and cause the lukewarm water conditions you reported.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #9

Got it thanks. I had a newer shower head installed a while back, so I only have the on/off at the faucet handle. thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater