Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #1

Water Heater help

I bought a new Puma t-trailer and its been nice so far. But iv notice the water heater dosnt hold hot water very long at all. You could take a good shower in my old RV, but this one only last about three minutes with hot water. I dont under stand why I get so much less hot water. It is a propane unit. Is there something about these new heaters I don't know about. Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Bypass valve?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check By-pass valve, make sure outside shower/faucest are closed or it will mix cold wayer into the system, make sure you water heater is filling and not air bound in head space. It it plenty hot when you first turn is on? Does the burner run alot?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Size of water heater?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Maybe the original tt had electric and propane.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

I don't have a shower out side. I have a 5 gal. heater and my old one was also a 5 gal. propane heater. Nether have or had electric. Theres no air in it that I know of. I don't think its running allot, but I think its turning on and off more then it should when its trying to heat.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Check the bypass valve. Assuming single handle, move it to by-pass and back again to make sure it moves without much resistence. If you need to double check for proper operation, empty tank and leave plug out, by-pass and run pump to make sue it is being by-passed. Now reverse valve and make sure it fills quickly. When full, you can always lift the pressure relief valve to purge air. Of couse none of this is necessarily the problem.

You said it cycles while heating, which is not normal. Once hot to proper temp, it should be hours before coming on unless being used.

That said, it sounds like one of the thermoswitches are malfuctioning. The brown wire coming in is the power line. It runs to the t'stat switch first. If the tank is cool enough, it closes and sends power to the ECO switch. If the water is hot enough, the power ends there and nothing happens. When the temp drops enough, the switch closes sending power to the control board which fires up the heater. Then the above process goes again until the ECO switch opens killing the operation.

So, the problem could be either of these switches are bad. These switches come in kits and I think less than $20. I always carry extras.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It runs to the t'stat switch first. If the tank is cool enough, it closes and sends power to the ECO switch. If the water is hot enough, the power ends there and nothing happens. When the temp drops enough, the switch closes sending power to the control board which fires up the heater. Then the above process goes again until the ECO switch opens killing the operation.
Under normal circumstances, the t-stat will be the only switch that opens ... at 140. Should it fail, the Energy Cut Off switch should open at 190.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Check By-pass valve, make sure outside shower/faucest are closed or it will mix cold wayer into the system, make sure you water heater is filling and not air bound in head space. It it plenty hot when you first turn is on? Does the burner run alot?

I'm having virtually the same problem. I'm not familiar with the by-pass valve. What am I looking for?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like it has the 120 deg. thermostat. With the lower temp thermostat you have to use more hot water than cold and run out faster. You can call the manuf. and they will send you a 140 deg.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #11

May I suggest a low flo shower head? Maybe your past unit had one. I put one in my mh and now both myself and DW can take a shower without running out. I have a 6 gal wh.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
fvstringpicker check this link has pictures of different types of bypass valves and locations.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water