Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Water Heater Upgrade

So we've got a 2013 Greywolf 21RR TH that we are just about ready to start our 2nd season with. Although it's a little small, it's perfect for us because we spend most of our time outside riding when we camp. The one and only thing I'd liked to improve is how long the hot water last. If we take short and medium temp showers, it may last for 2 of us but that's getting a little old. So the question to this very esteemed group is:
a. can we upgrade the water heater that's in the TH now? I'm not sure exactly what model, but it's small whatever it is.
b. do they make cheaper versions of those tankless style water heaters that can be installed in a camper?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.
Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you stay in campgrounds with shore power, adding an electric element could help extend the hot water. Also, do you have a good shower head that reduces volume without reducing the feeling of a good shower? This one is pretty good and includes a shut off that allows water flow to be shut off without having to re adjust temperature.

BodySpa RV Shower Kit - White - Oxygenics 26781 - Shower - Camping World

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

???????

is your water run by elec. and propane, if so run both together during shower

time, then turn off the propane or both.

So, do you elec and propane????
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you stay in campgrounds with shore power, adding an electric element could help extend the hot water. Also, do you have a good shower head that reduces volume without reducing the feeling of a good shower? This one is pretty good and includes a shut off that allows water flow to be shut off without having to re adjust temperature.

BodySpa RV Shower Kit - White - Oxygenics 26781 - Shower - Camping World
Thanks and I'll order the shower head and give it a try.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
is your water run by elec. and propane, if so run both together during shower

time, then turn off the propane or both.

So, do you elec and propane????
I believe it's elec if I plug in the camper or propane if I don't plug in. I don't know that I have the option to power by both simultaneously. I'll have to check the manuals and see. Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most water heaters are six gallons,, and the hole they fit in is what I'll call a six gallon hole.

Now they do make a 10 gallon, but alas it will not fit in a six gallon hole.

So what are your options (you have two, perhaps 3)

First: Atwood makes a psuedo 10 gallon, what it does is heat water very hot, (like 180 degrees) then using a thermostatic mixing valve mixes it down to 120, so they can effectively make 10 gallons of 120 degree water and fit it in a six gallon hole.

Options 2p and 2e are On-Demand water heaters... They make some nice propane burners that can heat water to 120 as fast as you can draw it,, this means that so long as your fresh water holds out, So long as your Gray tank does not overflow, and so long as you do not run out of Propane (Option 2p) you have endless hot water

2e is electric but that is impractical as the amount of power you need is rather close to the maximum for a 50 amp site.

There is a 2c as well, this is an electric "Booster" it won't heat to 120 but it might heat it enough for the propane to finish the job.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missle View Post
Thanks and I'll order the shower head and give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Most water heaters are six gallons,, and the hole they fit in is what I'll call a six gallon hole.

First: Atwood makes a psuedo 10 gallon, what it does is heat water very hot, (like 180 degrees) then using a thermostatic mixing valve mixes it down to 120, so they can effectively make 10 gallons of 120 degree water and fit it in a six gallon hole.

Options 2p and 2e are On-Demand water heaters... They make some nice propane burners that can heat water to 120 as fast as you can draw it,, this means that so long as your fresh water holds out, So long as your Gray tank does not overflow, and so long as you do not run out of Propane (Option 2p) you have endless hot water

2e is electric but that is impractical as the amount of power you need is rather close to the maximum for a 50 amp site.

There is a 2c as well, this is an electric "Booster" it won't heat to 120 but it might heat it enough for the propane to finish the job.
Awesome info. So do you know of any 2p manufactures? I'll start look as well but I'm sure you'll know where I should start. Thanks again for all the info and help!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

The on demand water heaters heat rise depends on the water temp to start with. The colder the incoming water the cooler the output. Plus you might not be happy with the flow.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The on demand water heaters heat rise depends on the water temp to start with. The colder the incoming water the cooler the output. Plus you might not be happy with the flow.
Interesting. So there's always a minus side to the plus side. Is it worth the money and hassle?

Tags
heater, upgrade, water, water heater