Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
bartlettj
The point I was trying to make is this:
Sanitizing the water tank and/or water pipes in an RV is not as necessary as some would have you believe.

IMO, the "need to sanitize", (like the "need of RV antifreeze in a RV water system when winterizing"), is a myth.
My coach is 18 years old and has only been "sanitized" twice, (and I simply "gravity drain" my RV tank and water system when I "winterize").

BTW, although my house sometimes sits unused for as long as 9 months at a time, I never sanitize the water system.

Those are not my recommendations, just what I do, (and have done for 30+ RVing years), with no problems.

Mel
'96 Safari
Enjoy your myth, but I have gotten sick from water lines that were let sit for a while and then not sanitized. I'm not going to take that risk. There isn't normally enough chlorine present in city water to keep it germ free for more than a few weeks.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlettj View Post
Enjoy your myth, but I have gotten sick from water lines that were let sit for a while and then not sanitized. I'm not going to take that risk. There isn't normally enough chlorine present in city water to keep it germ free for more than a few weeks.
bartlettjze
How often did you sanitize the water system in your house?.... (assuming you ever lived in a house with indoor plumbing).
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #17

Water in house is constantly changing and it is chlorinated at source. Water you put in your RV may be chlorinated as well, but chlorine breaks down with time and becomes ineffective. Then there is a chance for bacteria to grow & multiply.

My wife is a professor of environmental chemistry specializing in water and sewage treatment. That info came straight from her.
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beddows View Post
My wife is a professor of environmental chemistry specializing in water and sewage treatment.
Paul
I have a "water treatment" question that your wife may be able to answer:
For 26 years, (1978 to 2004), my house sat empty/unused for 1-2 weeks each year, (for the last 10 years, for 3-6 months each year).
The 36 year old water system in my house has never been sanitized/disinfected.
Should I sanitize/disinfect it?

BTW, my RV water system is drained before winter storage, (and has been for the 14 years I've owned my coach).
It's used, (with chlorinated city water and/or campground well water), 6-9 months each year.... but it has been only sanitized twice, (once when it was new and again at 16 years of age).

Thanks, (and thank your wife)

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #19

I just asked her, she says not really, just run the taps for 5 minutes after the system has been unused. The main concern is any lead solder if the pipes are copper. If stagnant water has been sitting in there, its lead concentration may be higher than normal. If you don't have to drink out of it right way, that is best, but the fresh water will have been chlorinated at the source.
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, tank, water