Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Water in the cargo hold...

Does anyone else have trouble with water getting into the front cargo hold during a heavy rain? I suspect it's getting in around the edges of the portal itself and wanted to solicit ideas for a solution to this problem from the experts...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150827_091323.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	104874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150827_091410.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	104875  

roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

I have not. The only time water gets in there is when I open the door and water runs back off the top (now bottom) of the door.

Can you tell if it's getting in through the door frame or the gasket of the door?
Try to pinch a dollar bill in the top of the door and see if it's loose anywhere.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I have not. The only time water gets in there is when I open the door and water runs back off the top (now bottom) of the door.

Can you tell if it's getting in through the door frame or the gasket of the door?
Try to pinch a dollar bill in the top of the door and see if it's loose anywhere.
Without crawling into the hold myself during a heavy rain and watching to see what happens (I've considered that), I wouldn't know exactly where the water is coming in, but I suspect that it's coming in along the bottom edge of the door. In my opinion, the door feels a little "squishy" all the way around and I wonder if it's possible to adjust the lock so that the door holds closed against the rubber gasket more tightly? I'm having the same problem with the door on the other side, too.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

The seal obviously isn't working. Water intrusion isn't normal or acceptable. Your dealer should re-due your door seals until they don't leak. Should be able to duplicate heavy rain with a garden hose to test. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The seal obviously isn't working. Water intrusion isn't normal or acceptable. Your dealer should re-due your door seals until they don't leak. Should be able to duplicate heavy rain with a garden hose to test. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice about using the garden hose to test it... sure beats lying in the hold all day waiting for it to rain... lol

I agree with you, but unfortunately, although my trailer is a 2015, I'm the second owner of it and I've already returned to the dealer and had them repair three or four things that should have been inspected and repaired before they ever put it out on the lot to sell. I think we all know the underlying intent there; sell the thing as quickly as possible without any repair costs! Oh, and if the new owners happen to discover something that's wrong, then we'll fix that and only that... I truly loathe the sales industry sometimes. Anyway, long story short, I just don't have a lot of confidence in the service department at our "local dealer" and I think I can come up with a viable solution for this. I think I'll start with a thicker gasket that I'm sure I can find at a pick yard. We got plenty of those around here
Old 08-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #6

There are generally only two ways for water to enter at a cargo door--around the door-to-frame seal, and around the frame seal itself. Be sure and check around the outer edges of the frame for missing caulk--might even be good to remove the entire door and re-do the caulking. If it still leaks, then the door-to-frame gasket is suspect. The use of a water hose while you sit inside (nice to do in S. AZ in summer...) might show you quickly where it is leaking.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water