Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Water leak under kitchen sink

Hi All,

At the end of our trip this weekend we needed some items, noticed they were wet. I traced it back where the hot was supply line connects to the bottom of the faucet. there are two connections on the bottom of the faucet, one for hot and one for cold. All plastic fittings. Its only leaking when pressurized.

I used a pipe wrench to put a quarter turn on the fitting just to snug it up a little, it seems to be ok now, or at least so i think. that said, i decided i better snug up the cold water side on the fitting as well just in case, after i get it a quarter turn it started to drip. neither are dripping any more but it seems after an hour or so i can put my finger there and there is a tiny bit of water.

are these fittings known to leak? i noticed also there is no use of teflon tape at all on these. I didnt take the fittings off so i dont know if there is a rubber gasket in there maybe? any thoughts on this. I have a feeling its a common issue just wondering what the best course of action is. I dont think it calls for faucet replacement as the drip seems to be only at the fitting where the water source connects. any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

It sounds like one or both of the fittings are cracked. If tightening fixed the hot, it was loose. But if tightening caused cold to leak, you may have cracked the housing. They don't use tape and there may or may not be a rubber gasket. It depends on the type of fitting. Does it have clamps holding the hoses on? If not it's the new style fittings which require a special tool to replace.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
It sounds like one or both of the fittings are cracked. If tightening fixed the hot, it was loose. But if tightening caused cold to leak, you may have cracked the housing. They don't use tape and there may or may not be a rubber gasket. It depends on the type of fitting. Does it have clamps holding the hoses on? If not it's the new style fittings which require a special tool to replace.
Thanks for the tips. I dont think I cracked the cold water fitting i only snugged it up a minimal amount, i suppose its possible though.

Here is a picture of the fitting. it is leaking out it seems from around the bottom of the piece that connects to the faucet. You can see in the picture where the water is dripping from...I didn't take this picture myself so I'm still unsure if there is a gasket or something in there.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

All of my fittings were loose. I hand tightened them, and now they seem to be ok. All of my drain fittings were also loose. The more I go through, the more I am disappointed at the half assed installation throughout my brand new camper.

I also had problems with signal from cable when it was connected to the outside connection, but not when I ran the cable directly to the TV. I started to trace the wire, and found that they had not crimped a single coax connector - they had just put them on the cables. Thankfully, I had the compression tool in my toolbox on the trip.

So far, I have found:
- Loose connections on all water lines
- Loose connections on all drain lines
- Leak in the gas line at the water heater
- Winterization port was installed incorrectly (and it was also hidden behind a panel, and I only found it by mistake)
- Wire management is non-existant. They just throw wires in wherever, there is no means of attaching it to anything.
- My dinette table is crooked
- There is ONE screw holding the plywood on the bunkhouse to the frame

Thankfully, I am handy, and I have been able to fix all of this stuff myself. It's not major (well, the gas leak could have been, and I think cost me a couple tanks of propane), but it's the little details that really make me wonder if they miss these little things, what about the big things?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
All of my fittings were loose. I hand tightened them, and now they seem to be ok. All of my drain fittings were also loose. The more I go through, the more I am disappointed at the half assed installation throughout my brand new camper.

I also had problems with signal from cable when it was connected to the outside connection, but not when I ran the cable directly to the TV. I started to trace the wire, and found that they had not crimped a single coax connector - they had just put them on the cables. Thankfully, I had the compression tool in my toolbox on the trip.

So far, I have found:
- Loose connections on all water lines
- Loose connections on all drain lines
- Leak in the gas line at the water heater
- Winterization port was installed incorrectly (and it was also hidden behind a panel, and I only found it by mistake)
- Wire management is non-existant. They just throw wires in wherever, there is no means of attaching it to anything.
- My dinette table is crooked
- There is ONE screw holding the plywood on the bunkhouse to the frame

Thankfully, I am handy, and I have been able to fix all of this stuff myself. It's not major (well, the gas leak could have been, and I think cost me a couple tanks of propane), but it's the little details that really make me wonder if they miss these little things, what about the big things?
Holy...that is quite a list there. Is it a keystone?

I bought mine from a friend of the family who used it about 15 times in the 4 years they had it. I am finding things that you are finding also since I am basically the first one to really use the camper per say.

I had to replace two receptacles. Leaking propane valve at the water heater (the line is capped now I have yet to install the new valve), and now the dripping line at the faucet.

It seems it was dripping for a few weeks but it wasnt too much water thank god. I went back to my trailer tonight and the leak seems to have went away now that i snugged up the connections. I will see next weekend how it holds up.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 PM   #6

Yes it's probably a good idea to replace the fitting if it's leaking. They don't cost much but the tool to use this type is expensive. You could have a tech fix it or replace it with a threaded fitting. Yes I have a list of over 20 problems with my new fifth wheel. All minor luckily and all due to poor craftsmanship. And mine is a very high end trailer. I agree - if they mess up the small stuff how can I trust the big stuff? Luckily most of the typical rv problems are due to assembly and can be corrected. My kitchen plumbing was so crooked the fittings were popping apart. Plus it's all glued together so I couldn't get it completely straight. Had to do some creative plumbing but it's fine now. One of my slides was dead and it turned out to just be a poorly crimped wire nut. Very easy fix but not so easy to figure out. As soon as I get something fixed, another problem pops up. Today we fixed our plumbing problem but 2 new problems came up with the door lock and entry steps. It's a never ending process - all the problems of a house... in motion.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hate working on plumbing!
Too lose and they leak, too tight and they leak or break!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Yes it's probably a good idea to replace the fitting if it's leaking. They don't cost much but the tool to use this type is expensive. You could have a tech fix it or replace it with a threaded fitting. Yes I have a list of over 20 problems with my new fifth wheel. All minor luckily and all due to poor craftsmanship. And mine is a very high end trailer. I agree - if they mess up the small stuff how can I trust the big stuff? Luckily most of the typical rv problems are due to assembly and can be corrected. My kitchen plumbing was so crooked the fittings were popping apart. Plus it's all glued together so I couldn't get it completely straight. Had to do some creative plumbing but it's fine now. One of my slides was dead and it turned out to just be a poorly crimped wire nut. Very easy fix but not so easy to figure out. As soon as I get something fixed, another problem pops up. Today we fixed our plumbing problem but 2 new problems came up with the door lock and entry steps. It's a never ending process - all the problems of a house... in motion.
I know man its funny isnt it. I was starting to think I had buyers remorse as i was finding a new issue, albeit usually minor, every single trip. Seems thats justs part of it all. Hard to relax and enjoy the sunshine when theres always something to fix. I could have fixed stuff at home for that matter hahaha

Whats the name of that tool is it just a pex crimping tool? In that pic i posted i cant really see where a tool would be required...the tool wouldnt be a waste for me since i have pex at home also...
Old 05-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #9

Looking at your picture, you shouldn't need any special tool.. just a good adjustable or box wrench. But if that is leaking where you say it is, I'd replace that top connector part because it is probably worn or damaged and you probably won't get it to stop leaking.

The special tool is the plumbers pex tool. Rather expensive, but it is very much needed for any handy man with a home!

https://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-5092...FdgUgQod__0FNA
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I hate working on plumbing!
Too lose and they leak, too tight and they leak or break!
lol. and they are always in tight spaces or places where there is no easy access. However, I am not too keen on those quick-call local plumbers bill after they visit and do some repair.

But some HVAC are worse. I recall not too long ago... I had to fork over $160 service call for my A/C... mostly standing watching him use MY garden hose and MY water to kinda power-wash the A/C condenser thingy sitting outside my home. $80 was the service call for just showing up.
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl_keystone View Post
Holy...that is quite a list there. Is it a keystone?

I bought mine from a friend of the family who used it about 15 times in the 4 years they had it. I am finding things that you are finding also since I am basically the first one to really use the camper per say.

I had to replace two receptacles. Leaking propane valve at the water heater (the line is capped now I have yet to install the new valve), and now the dripping line at the faucet.

It seems it was dripping for a few weeks but it wasnt too much water thank god. I went back to my trailer tonight and the leak seems to have went away now that i snugged up the connections. I will see next weekend how it holds up.
It's a Coachmen Freedom Express. None of these were terrible per-se (the trailer isn't going to fall apart), they were mostly just head shakers - like why didn't they bother to tighten water fittings, or why didn't they crimp the coax lines? It's either laziness, poor training, or the workers being too rushed to care about little details. Of course, these things should be caught during inspection (either at the factory, or the PDI) as well, so the dealer is also not off the hook. The wire management is pretty much industrywide from what I've seen. As long as the wire gets from point A to point B, they don't care. As someone who deals with wiring at my job, it's something that would never be acceptable to me.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
It's a Coachmen Freedom Express. None of these were terrible per-se (the trailer isn't going to fall apart), they were mostly just head shakers - like why didn't they bother to tighten water fittings, or why didn't they crimp the coax lines? It's either laziness, poor training, or the workers being too rushed to care about little details. Of course, these things should be caught during inspection (either at the factory, or the PDI) as well, so the dealer is also not off the hook. The wire management is pretty much industrywide from what I've seen. As long as the wire gets from point A to point B, they don't care. As someone who deals with wiring at my job, it's something that would never be acceptable to me.
I have to agree about the wiring, I had some wiring work to do and from the factory it was **** at best. I had a peek behind the breaker panel also and it was a birds nest.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I especially love how the builders punch holes for pipes and wires. Looks like some rat chewed thru the wall material. Then they leave all the shavings and sawdust inside for you to vacuum out later! LOL
Old 05-25-2016, 01:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I especially love how the builders punch holes for pipes and wires. Looks like some rat chewed thru the wall material. Then they leave all the shavings and sawdust inside for you to vacuum out later! LOL
Agreed!! I cannot understand how you can deliver a product for sale with sawdust and shavings behind the vent. It's like dusting your floor and lifting the rug and sweeping it under it. Doh!

If I had an RV manufacturing plant I would be horrified to deliver a product that wasn't clean. And the sales people should also ensure to clean all that dust out.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak