Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Water pressure?

OK,

So I have a few questions about water pressure. My old trailer was a tent trailer and used a regulator that you connected between the trailer and the city water.

So with our new trailer I only assume you use the same regulator to avoid high pressure issues. Is this correct?

But this last weekend trip it seems the water pressure was lower than desired in the sinks and shower. Should I expect normal pressure or volume of water from the faucets?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Newer trailers with better pipes and fittings will tolerate higher pressures, but there is a limit ; that should be in your manual. Different parks have different water pressure, even can vary within the park . Best to have an adjustable regulator with a gauge attached , for consistant flow in your unit, one size fits all regulators don't always provide this .

Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Watts (lowes/home depot) and Valterra (camping world) are good ones.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The small ones that screw onto the faucet restrict water flow more than they reduce pressure. The Watts adjustable, with a gauge is the best I've found to do the job correctly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
There has been a lot of misinformation put out on regulators. The cheapies (the $9.99) have been labeled flow restrictors and not regulators, but this is not true. They come in a 40 to 50 psi model and a higher flow 50 to 60 psi model. Both models have a spring and piston inside. This holds the pressure at the preset level. The nicer regulators with the gauge and adjuster allow you to set your own pressure. You should never go over about 60 psi according to most coach manufacturers. Of course the regulator will not increase line pressure. If you have 35 psi coming in you will only get 35 psi in the coach. If you had low pressure at the park, that could be your problem. Also some campers have whole house filters that cut down on flow.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

The cheapies may regulate pressure, but the little hole the water comes thru does restrict volume.
Many threads on this.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
The cheapies may regulate pressure, but the little hole the water comes thru does restrict volume.
Many threads on this.
Yep and Bingo.

Turn on a hose. Stick your thumb in the end. Do it right - no water at all. Do it 95% closed - Pressure up, Volume down. Start your stop watch - fill a bucket both ways. I'm in the Valterra adjustable camp. Use something - cause if you happen to run into one of those places with 100 psi you'll be glad you did. Low pressure is frustrating. Plumbing is expensive. Just sayin'.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

My water flows at the same rate as when I turn it on to when it runs for 1-2mins. It's not like a garden hose where you shut the water off and on with a spray nozzle. MY house is the same way. Turn the faucet on and it's a continuous pressure. I use one of those cheapie brass $9.00 regulators.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #9

Some threads that may clear this up for you:

Is Water Pressure Regulator Needed?

Water pressure regulator?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #10

I think I need to get a better regulator.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Many threads on this.
You are correct. The hole in the cheapies is 5/16 of an inch. If you remember your school class on flow. The flow will be slowed to the smallest hole it goes thru. If you have a 5/8 hose and use the cheapie reg. you will only get 5/16 flow.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ever fill a swimming pool with a garden hose? Some folks pay the fire depart to fill their pools with a big hose, others a big a water truck with a pump. Conversely - ever drain a pool with a garden hose. Some people rent a pump with a big hose. This is flow as best I can figure. as to what pressure is - I still go back to the thumb in the garden hose. The pressure can be the same on any size hose as best i know - but the volume of flow will depend on the size of the opening it is going through. We had water fights with hoses as a kid. Without the thumb - you lose. Don't think much has changed in this equation since the last time I filled a pool or the first time I had a water fight. Ever wonder why hoses are sold in different diameters? Flow perhaps. Maybe I need to get out more, go back to school or I'm just all wet. But where I live - flow and pressure are not the same thing.

Either way - I have restricted my flow with fiters and regulated my pressure with Valterra to my own satisfaction. Everyone should do as they please.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3437114515.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	39026
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Watts (lowes/home depot) and Valterra (camping world) are good ones.
Both of those are also available from Amazon.com.

Valterra makes several different models, including the el cheapo non-adjustable without a gauge, and a non-adjustable but with a gauge.

My adjustable Valterra cost almost $60 including Texas sales tax but with free "Super Saving" shipping.
Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator : Amazon.com : Automotive
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #14

It turns out the water line had plastic chips in it. Once clear it works like a charm.

Tags
water