Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #1

Water Pressure

While camping with full hookup (no water in fresh tank ) my son in law said you will get more water pressure (flow volume in shower) if you run the internal water pump in addition to the park water hookup ???????

Opinions please !

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 AM   #2

Most parks I have been to have too much water pressure for my old pipes. I have to run an external water pressure valve. Maybe you have one on your rig that your not aware of and can up the pressure for the park water?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #3

If you run rhe pump with no water in the tank it will burn up the pump.

If you dont have enough pressure change your pressure regulator to the valtera brand with the orange ring. While the same psi as other regulators, it has better flow (gallons per min).
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rideandslide,

If you really need your water pump on while hooked up to park water supply then somethings wrong. I'd check the screen on the water inlet to the coach for one thing. Is it all the faucets affected or just the shower for instance? They all have little screens at the faucet heads. In a word, no- you should not be using the water pump while connected to park's water.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

If the park's pressure is actually low, then yes, you can supplement pressure with the water pump and fresh water tank supply. The pump will only come on once pressure is below a certain amount. So if pressure is good, it won't come on.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

I would double check how it is plumbed. In my Riggs the pump was not in line with the city water input. If your is the same it should not help with water pressure at all and you would be running that pump dry, which is never a good idea.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

All water pumps and city water systems are tied together; how else would they supply the same faucets? Inline is not an issue as you are not using the pump to suck in city water, but rather using fresh water to boost the pressure in the system.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If the park's pressure is actually low, then yes, you can supplement pressure with the water pump and fresh water tank supply. The pump will only come on once pressure is below a certain amount. So if pressure is good, it won't come on.
EXACTLY! We used the Shurflo 5.7 for this purpose as it is not a high pressure but also high volume pump. But the 5.7 pumps kept failing us and we eventually went with another brand that has slightly lower volume but a lot less pressure. I was disappointed later to find it has a much lower pressure output. I doubt it would help much due to the lower psi output. SO, whether or not it will work for you depends on your water pump kick-on point, how much pressure ot puts out, and how low the park pressure is.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #9

Those who say it will increase the water pressure should read the OP again.

Quote:
While camping with full hookup (no water in fresh tank )
Rarely would the city water enter the system before the pump so running the pump would just waste electricity
Old 04-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post

Rarely would the city water enter the system before the pump so running the pump would just waste electricity
Yes, it would require water to be in the tank.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post

I agree!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

If there is a water pressure regulator, especially one of the cheap ones, it may be the problem.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

We could get into some son-in-law jokes, but he is simply wrong.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #14

I use the water pressure regulator attachment between the TT and water supply hose. I think it limits the pressure to 40 psi. Do i need to use this ??
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water