Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

Water pump issues

So I went to winterize my water lines today, and my pump won't pull the solution into the lines. I checked all the obvious stuff (power, lines properly attached, no kinks, valves properly opened/closed, etc), but it wouldn't pull. I have a Shurflo 2088-404-144 pump that has worked fine since we got the trailer two years ago. The pump seemed quieter than normal at first, and then it just stopped making any noise. Checked fuses- no issues there. Have I burned out the pump? I plan on replacing it, but if anyone thinks there might be another solution, I'm all ears! Perhaps a fix or something else I can try to get it to work. This is my third time winterizing, and the two times before, all has gone just fine. Thanks for reading, and look forward to hearing any thoughts!
bigben7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

Just checking...Did you orient the valves so that it would suck from the tube/jug?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The water pump often can't self prime, but it will move water when it's present. When you put the hose in the jug of antifreeze, did you open a faucet to allow movement of water in the line? You may also have to pour antifreeze into the hose to get the flow started.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

Not making any noise? Is it not running at all? Will it pull from the tank?
Can you get to it easily--to see if there is water in the sediment trap?
There is probably an inline fuse--is that the one you checked?
May be just time for new pump...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use a volt meter and check the voltage going into the water pump. Should be at least 12 volts.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

Following up...

I did check the orientation of the valves (good question though- I've been known to do some bonehead things from time to time! )- actually double checked that because I was so stumped as to what was going on.

I was also wondering if the pump needed a bit of help priming, so I did pour some water into the hose, but that didn't work. In fact, I thought it was going to work- I heard it take some water, but it was shortly after that it went silent on me. ??

I did not check an inline fuse- I'll check for that. Nor am I sure about water in the sediment trap (nor am I sure how to check that, to be honest!).

I haven't yet checked with my multimeter- I was going to do that today. I guess when I said I ensured power was going to the pump, I meant that I had two fully charged batteries hooked up and all other electricity was working fine. But could be a loose wire somewhere... we did travel on a bunch of washboard on our last trip out, which I suppose could've jarred some wires loose...

Thanks all for the great ideas!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

Just asking, did you dump the anti-freeze into the freshwater tank or were you drawing it directly from a jug. If you poured it into the freshwater tank, I am wondering if there was enough to hit the pickup line in the tank.

If so, you may need to drop the front of the trailer (or side to side to get the solution to the pump feed line) if you put it in the freshwater tank.

Just a thought.

Brett
six82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #8

Do u have a spigot open? U need someplace for antifreeze to pump to. If all spigots are closed the lines might be full of air. Pump will only turn on when there is a demand
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
According to how long the water pump was running without pumping water, the rubber impeller could have gotten hot and melted to the plastic walls of the pump chamber. If hooking up directly to 12v doesn't get it running, you might try tapping with a rubber mallet or try to turn motor or impeller with a little push. If that doesn't work, search for a rebuild kit or, if none available, a new pump.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #10

problem solved!

Well, BFlinn181, your suggestion was the winner! Turns out that once I got some fluid to the pump (which is when it went silent), I failed to open a faucet. Duh! I had opened up faucets earlier, but that was before it was sufficiently primed. I think my freshwater tank was bone dry after our last trip, so the pump wasn't primed (unlike the last two seasons when I winterized).
So, went over today to the trailer, turned on a faucet (after realizing that I hadn't), and voila- started pulling antifreeze like a champ! Sometimes it's the simple things that we forget!
So, I've got a winterized camper that will be ready to go next spring! It seems so far away!
Thanks for everyone's input... I'm going to go sit in the corner for a while with my dunce cap on!

-Ben
Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club

Glad you solved the problem and reported back to help others!!

Happy camping!!

Bob & Donna
Old 10-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben7728 View Post
Well, BFlinn181, your suggestion was the winner! Turns out that once I got some fluid to the pump (which is when it went silent), I failed to open a faucet. Duh! I had opened up faucets earlier, but that was before it was sufficiently primed. I think my freshwater tank was bone dry after our last trip, so the pump wasn't primed (unlike the last two seasons when I winterized).
So, went over today to the trailer, turned on a faucet (after realizing that I hadn't), and voila- started pulling antifreeze like a champ! Sometimes it's the simple things that we forget!
So, I've got a winterized camper that will be ready to go next spring! It seems so far away!
Thanks for everyone's input... I'm going to go sit in the corner for a while with my dunce cap on!

-Ben
You should have a lot of company in the corner! We've all done so boneheaded things, my last was turning on the water heater's electric side and wondering why I wasn't getting any water. That was after replacing a verified bad pump and being really PO'd because it wouldn't pump. DUH,
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben7728 View Post

-Ben
Did I get caught in a time warp?? I thought it was silverado07 that gave the solution. No matter as long as its fixed.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Water pump issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Did I get caught in a time warp?? I thought it was silverado07 that gave the solution. No matter as long as its fixed.

yep. time warp I think. Bflinn181 answered in second post after OP.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump