Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #1

Water pumps?

I think I may need a new water pump. The current pump sat winterized for 3 years. Now I am using it and it seems to be weak. Like it is not producing enough water pressure. My guess is it is producing about 50 - 60% of what it used to.

It used to run, build up pressure then shut off. It would hold the pressure and not come on again until you used the water.

Now it just runs until you manually shut it off.

Any recommendations on a model for a new one?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #2

First off when sits that long everything drys out . And full of pink antifreeze it gets sticky and builds up on stuff . I had this issue but my pressure switch still worked fine yours must have issues . What worked for me was I fill tank made sure water was sitting in lines and left it sit for a day drive down road to flush it around drained it all then did it again . Took mine about 3 times and everything straighten out but I got pink in water for whole first year and used bottle water . Mine was extreme case. After first year all was perfect. Look in to pressure switch and try flushing couple times .

Itasca
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
First off when sits that long everything drys out . And full of pink antifreeze it gets sticky and builds up on stuff . I had this issue but my pressure switch still worked fine yours must have issues . What worked for me was I fill tank made sure water was sitting in lines and left it sit for a day drive down road to flush it around drained it all then did it again . Took mine about 3 times and everything straighten out but I got pink in water for whole first year and used bottle water . Mine was extreme case. After first year all was perfect. Look in to pressure switch and try flushing couple times .

Itasca
Look on amazon. you can buy a rebuild kit. Very easy to do.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:46 AM   #4

Itasca - you are right, after 3 days I still get some pink antifreeze out. Hooked to city water I have what I think is air in the lines. I definitely let the trailer sit too long.

Now I am torn between a rebuilt kit, a new water pump, or just keep trying to flush the lines out.

Thanks, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Itasca - you are right, after 3 days I still get some pink antifreeze out. Hooked to city water I have what I think is air in the lines. I definitely let the trailer sit too long.

Now I am torn between a rebuilt kit, a new water pump, or just keep trying to flush the lines out.

I don't know what make or model of pump you have but now would be a good time to consider an upgrade to a quieter pump. Just a thought.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #6

Any good recommendation on a quieter pump?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #7

Quote:

Now I am torn between a rebuilt kit, a new water pump, just keep trying to flush the lines out, or just buying a new ORV Timber Ridge 25RDS
ORV | Timber Ridge 25RDS

Fixed it for you...

Seriously, I'm not sure anything camps better than a "paid for" travel trailer. While you're spending time there, take out a note pad, dream your upgrades or design changes to your current trailer. Sounds like it's a great platform.

Take your list here: and start shopping.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-parts-rv-accessories

Water Pump:
Here's one on sale through tomorrow. (I've had good service with these folks).
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...lution_86-8398
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Rving with paided for rig is awesome. And watching everyone fuss over there New stuff at campgrounds is half the entertainment. Think of it this way humans built the RV there is no reason any human can't fix them . so owner can make them better. Most of the time just takes patience forums and Google. And if you don't want to do your own maintenance. There alot of places will fix it for ya.. but bring a super fresh credit card [emoji106][emoji1] they will basically burn up any extra money you thought you had lol

Itasca
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #9

Normal_Dave - I will look at Artic Fox again while in Pa. Google says the dealership Kelly RV in West Milton is only 2 hours away. My Keystone Vantage 25RBS is a very nice trailer, just not insulated very well.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Any good recommendation on a quieter pump?
I don't have any first hand knowledge to make recommendations but I'd consider one of the better Shurflo models.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

60 - thanks. There is a good chance I will replace the waterpump. I might mount it on felt pads to make it quieter.

There is not a lot of room where it is mounted now and I am unlikely tackle the project to move it. I would like to also add a styrofoam box around it to buffer the noise.

I could easily kill a full day.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I can attest on the Shurflow pumps. The one in my DS is so quiet you really have to listen to hear it running and there is no vibration from it either.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rubber pump diaphragms have dried out and are shot. Easy to take apart and rebuild.

Can't go wrong with a new Shurflo. Mounted ours on a cork trivet about 1/2" thick.....hard to hear it now.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
60 - thanks. There is a good chance I will replace the waterpump. I might mount it on felt pads to make it quieter.

There is not a lot of room where it is mounted now and I am unlikely tackle the project to move it. I would like to also add a styrofoam box around it to buffer the noise.

I could easily kill a full day.
Something else that might help with the noise is foam pipe insulation. I found some of the noise was from the pipes themselves vibrating against the floor, walls, or whatever else they might be touching. I wrapped what I could reach and it did help some.

Tags
water, water pump