Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

Water Source

This weekend is our first time out...ever...and taking our new 2014 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS. I have a question on the water system.

I will have water hookup at the campground. However, when I called the campground, they mentioned that it is well water and we may want to consider coming with the fresh water holding tank on the TT full as it would be better drinking/cooking water than their well water.

So...how does this work? If the fresh water tank is full AND i'm connected to the external water hookup at the campground, which source does the TT use? Do I have the option of drawing from the fresh water tank for the kitchen/bathroom faucets and drawing from the campground water source for toilet/shower? Or does the TT automatically use the campground hookup water source if connected? Or does the TT only draw from the fresh water tank if I've got the water pump turned on?

i'm confused....

Thanks for any help!!
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

If you are connected to the camp site water (shore water) it is pressurized and will feed everything inside your coach. If you want to use the water in the fresh water tank, disconnect shore water (or close the spigot) and turn the pump on. Everything in your coach will be fed by the water in the tank. Another option is to use well water for everything except for drinking. We always bring bottled water. Yet another option would be to install an inline water filter.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

We bought a small camco inline filter. We use the campground water hook up to just shower wash hands and the dog drinks that water.

For our selfs we bring bottled water and a 4 gallon jug of tap water from home for Coffey and if needed the dog.

Also I have never drank the water from our fresh water tank. But I am sure others here have.

Have a safe trip.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

We use camco inline filter in the hose. We always drink the water. Normally we stay at state parks and overnight rv parks when traveling. I sanitize the fresh water tank annually and we have to rely on it when camping up north where the parks only have electric at the campsite. Also have to use the tank water in Texas when it freezes in Dec/Jan. We drink it as well.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

We always bring our own drinking water in one gallon jugs.

If you are hooked up to shore water you will not have to use your water pump bacause the water is pressurised. If you have your water pump on while hooked up to shore water you will draw from your fresh water tank and shore water at the same time.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Go to Home Depot/Lowes and get one of these. Put hose fittings on it.GE Whole House 3/4 in. Inlet Water Filtration System-GXWH04F at The Home Depot

Get these for it. GE Carbon Replace Filter 2-Pack-FXWTC at The Home Depot
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water