Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
trz

Waxing

Who knows of an easily applied liquid wax? I'm too lazy to do the "wax on wax off" to the whole dang trailer!
trz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Anything that is easy...., won't last very long..........
The easiest way to wax my Coach that I found .......was to hire it done.
Just about any spray wax at Walmart would work for what you a looking for I think......?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Anything that is easy...., won't last very long..........
Agreed. But if you're wanting a spray wipe-n-shine, Meguiar's is what I use on ours, as well as on my 66 'Stang, for a quick shine after she's had a bath. It'll do in a pinch between the labor intensive hand applied/orbital buffer paste wax jobs.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An easily applied liquid wax is Zep- High traffic floor finish. The surface must be clean and free of any old wax. Search it on here.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

I like Protect All. You wipe it on, then wipe off but it wipes off much easier than typical waxes. And, it is a Carnuba based wax product.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I like Protect All. You wipe it on, then wipe off but it wipes off much easier than typical waxes. And, it is a Carnuba based wax product.
scbwr, I'm new to the items you should or should not use on or in your new TT. What is Carnuba based wax and why is it used over other products out there?
Max100TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

I use turtle Wax Ice wipe on wipe off easy and lasting.
gap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have fiberglass surface you can use a product called Gel Gloss. It is a cleaner and a wax. I usually do one side of the trailer at a time. I'll do the front cap section more often. Bugs during travel will wash off if kept waxed. For the decal areas I use there (heavy-duty) product because it has a UV protector to keep the decals look new. I would say I wax the trailer 3 full times over the season.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
IC2

I just did one entire side, the nose and the rear of our 38 foot 5er using Megiare's NXT. It took me about 1.5 hours but part of that time was removing a bunch of road tar that got kicked up on the front. It's easy on and off but it will smear some if done in the sun (and why the other side is waiting). I also use it on my TV truck and the daily driver sedan. The end result is slick and lasts a long time. The advertised as miracle product waxes/polishes usually aren't much in the way of long lasting though usually look good for a while.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #10

Washing and waxing at the same time

It makes a big difference what finish you have. If you have paint you need to look for auto type products. I use Wash Wax All. It has a good shine to it and it has UV protection. I can use it in the campgrounds since it uses no water. I do rinse the bottom 2 ft of sand and heavy dirt. I keeps my coach lot cleaner even in the rain. It can be used on gel coat but will not remove heavy oxidation. If you have paint you should use a product with both UV protection and is polymer based not a wax base. If you have a gel coat that is oxidized look for good boat products. You may have to use a cleaner base product to remove the oxidation then use a polish. The old style waxes on all finishes are out of date and require way too much reapplication. The use of floor wax was recommended by some for finishes beyond restoration with very heavy oxidation. Since it has no UV protection and difficult to remove I question its use. Try the Wash Wax All if you have paint. It gets better the more you use it. It builds up protection. It also removes bugs well. I use the whole system with the mops.
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

For me what makes the job palatable is not the product but the application. I bought a buffer/polisher and can do my 25' trailer in about an hour.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100TN View Post
scbwr, I'm new to the items you should or should not use on or in your new TT. What is Carnuba based wax and why is it used over other products out there?
Carnuba wax is a wax that is used in quite a few auto waxes. ProtectAll gets a lot of good reviews, but whether it is better or longer lasting than other products isn't something I can verify. I like it for its ease of use. We've been on the road for 5 weeks, and the sides of my TT still look like the ProtectAll is still protecting the finish. The front of the trailer looks like a new coat of ProtectAll is in order and that will be a very easy job once we're home in about a week.

I also like the fact that ProtectAll is safe for a variety of finishes.

The bottom line is that there's a lot of products that will work....but you have to use them, and I don't want to be hours waxing my trailer. So, I'd rather spend one hour using ProtectAll and reapply when needed. And, I'm lucky that my trailer is stored inside, so I'm not dealing with continual UV exposure. If I lived down south and the trailer was exposed to high UV exposure, I would be looking for a product that held up the best under those conditions.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

Is there a good product that will work for Fiberglass, Paint, and decals? My Gateway has all three surfaces and it would be nice is I could find one product that is safe for the whole trailer.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #14

I really like the Meguire's #50 RV/Marine cleaner wax. Easy on/off and works great. I put it on the gelcoat fiberglass, decals and metal trim.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote