Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

WD hitch

Need some help with this. Towed the trailer without one and it towed for the most part great. Only problem was on a little rough patch of highway got what I like to call a roller coaster ride. No side-to-side motion at all though through out the long tow. I was thinking maybe i need some new shocks on the truck...not sure.
Anyway, bought a WD hitch because the guy i was with said that would help and threw it on quickly since I was to go camping. Didn't take any measurements..just went off of looks and everything looked eyeball level when hooked up.
Towed it to my destination and as I was jocking it around one of the bars fell off.
Before leaving at the end of the trip I hooked everything back up again...looks kinda idiot proof to me. I swear on the trip back i felt the trailer more than i ever have before. Not the roller coaster thing since i didn't hit any bad portions of highway. My truck just felt a little more twitchy, can't really explain it. As I was swinging it around the cul-de-sac to back it in, the other bar fell off this time.
Now i'm thinking I could have gotten the tension bars one chain tighter if i had tried, but i don't see how that should matter. Why the heck are the bars falling off? I thought that they where supposed to stay up inside the hole by tension. The little spring clip sure isn't going to hold it in under rough conditions.
*eaz-lift type hitch that came with 1k bars but i used some older 750lbs of the same brand my trailer came with. Trailer weighs probably 4k.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

First off, this is one time you should read the directions. Throwing it together, don't work.

Second, a 4000 lb trailer should only have about 400 lbs tongue weight. I think, using 750 lb bars, will cause a harsher ride.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Sounds like it wasn't put together or adjusted properly.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Cannot see how the bars fell off !!!! Once snapped in i just see how ????
Old 05-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

LOL, I did read the directions. Actually about 5x through. The only thing i measured was the coupler and ball height to make the trailer level. Truck wasn't sitting level so couldn't measure the front and back of it. Still looked pretty good though.
* i sometimes add about 400lbs to the bed of the truck is why i went so high.

Just got done watching a bunch of video's on the hook-up. Everything looks about the same. Guess I need to drag the trailer out to the middle of the road and see exactly how level the truck sits.

Really I wasn't sure I needed a WDH. Just thought it wouldn't hurt and could only make things better. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

Definitely use a WD hitch.

Without a picture we can't tell you if it's right or not. For the bars to fall out, something is WAY wrong.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #7

WD hitch

The bars on the eazlift brand are tricky to get in right. I bet they fell out because they were never clicked in properly. When clicked in properly they will hang there even without the chains attached. When clicked in properly you have to swing them way out toward the tuck to get them to disengage. Unless you seriously jackknifed the thing... Then MAYBE....

Mixing and matching parts from different weight cats could also be a problem.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #8

Willing to bet that Loraura is right. Went and compared the old bars to new and the new are almost an 1/8 inch shorter. Bet the old ones didn't have enough room to click in. Weird thing is i have seen designs where they don't click in at all. Wonder how they work.
*also have read a few reports where the bars have fallen out on others. "Experts" said to just remove them when not riding down the road.
**also.heheh, yeah i was jackknifing the trailer the first time. Really tight turning spot.

No pictures for anything though. Not hooked up as i'm trying to diagnose a faulty break light
Old 05-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
I bet they fell out because they were never clicked in properly. When clicked in properly they will hang there even without the chains attached. When clicked in properly you have to swing them way out toward the tuck to get them to disengage.

Mixing and matching parts from different weight cats could also be a problem.
I totally agree - gotta have it click in.

Also, after you hooked up the ball to hitch did you raise it way up high....truck and all? You need it up high before you put the chains on to get the maximum effect.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

It took me about 3 hours on the first run to hook up and calibrate my ezlift 10k wdh

even with everything done right my rig was all over the road when I got past 30mph

I got so frustrated I bought the Hensley. havent had one issue yet.

I do have the eazlift if any one wants to buy for 100.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

You didn't say what kind of truck, that will make a difference in how you adjust it. If it's a 1 ton Dually just through the WD hitch away and go camping.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #12

Need to do a lot more measuring than just ball height. Is the weight transfer to the front wheels proper? Is the distance from front and back of the trailer the same to the level surface I'm sure you are working on? Shouldn't be too hard to set up, just follow the directions. Is there an adjustment for tilt on this hitch? I'm not sure.