Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

WDH

How much needed is one? I know it's probably the best investment. I cancelled a trip to Yosemite because it would have been my first trip ever hauling the trailer. So we ended up going local, I didn't feel much sway pulling it on the regular hitch. The trailer weighs 2800 dry and my FJ Cruiser pulls 5000, there was a slight dip in the rear when hitched. What is a good option on a not so expensive WDH? A shop wanted $350 installed for an EZ WDH

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

First make sure you can use a wdh on your truck.

Next figure out your traliers tounge weight. Should be a sticker that tells you or mabey try the web site info. (These will be dry weight.)

There may be more to it but this is how I did mine and everything works great for me.

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

My limited experience (4TT) indicates that a WDH is not necessarily required. ie, you may be able to find a ball mount with enough capacity to handle your trailer GVWR.

However, if your tongue weight exceeds your hitch or if your rear end squats so much that your front end rises then you would need a WDH. (the way to measure the front end rise is to measure the same point on the front fender with and without the trailer hitched. (the higher front end means you have less control of the vehicle and it is not a pleasant feeling when you the trailer pushes the truck from side to side as the wind blows or the guy passing you flies by)
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
My limited experience (4TT) indicates that a WDH is not necessarily required. ie, you may be able to find a ball mount with enough capacity to handle your trailer GVWR.

However, if your tongue weight exceeds your hitch or if your rear end squats so much that your front end rises then you would need a WDH. (the way to measure the front end rise is to measure the same point on the front fender with and without the trailer hitched. (the higher front end means you have less control of the vehicle and it is not a pleasant feeling when you the trailer pushes the truck from side to side as the wind blows or the guy passing you flies by)
Great information! Not everyone needs a WDH. The key as you say is the tongue weight. My daughter has a small TT that is about 3750# wet. She pulls it with a 4 door jeep with no problem. WDH's are not the cure all for sway. Trailer loading is important. Research the brand of hitch you are interested in and talk to your dealer or other reputable RV service center.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
didn't feel much sway pulling it on the regular hitch.
You get a weight distribution unit for...guess what...weight distribution!!! You don't get one for sway control which is another device all together, altho you can get them combined into one unit.

What you are looking for is to reduce the weight of the trailer's tongue on the rear axle and to also reduce the "lift" (or unloading weight) of the front axle. As mentioned, to a measurement test of all four wheel wells...loaded with trailer (ready for the road or camping) and again without the trailer connected.

Installing a WD unit is very simple and just about anybody can do it with minimal effort.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #6

Well I once decided that I didn't really "need" the WDH for my rig as the truck had more than enough capacity to handle the size of trailer I had. On short hops to town I had pulled it with no WDH and it seemed like the ride in the cab was so much better.

I came home from the coast (365 miles) one trip without using the WDH and when I made a gas stop halfway home I found the fridge and cabinet doors open with items spilled out. I put everything up and closed all the doors to continue home only to find an even bigger mess with lots of broken glass upon arrival. While the ride in the cab might have been better without the WDH, the ride in the trailer must have been really rough. I discovered the hard way that the WDH did way more good than I thought it did. Have never had anything out of place in transit while using the WDH, so I never go without it anymore.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

Thanks all for the feedback, I haven't measured it, but my read end did dip about 1-1.5 inches. I read someone ask "would you rather carry a pool table alone or with others helping?" Regarding a WDH lol

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
How much needed is one? I know it's probably the best investment. I cancelled a trip to Yosemite because it would have been my first trip ever hauling the trailer. So we ended up going local, I didn't feel much sway pulling it on the regular hitch. The trailer weighs 2800 dry and my FJ Cruiser pulls 5000, there was a slight dip in the rear when hitched. What is a good option on a not so expensive WDH? A shop wanted $350 installed for an EZ WDH
Before purchasing my travel trailer, I rented a 22' trailer for a trip to see if we'd like it, and also see how my truck might handle a trailer. The place I rented from absolutely recommended a WDH. I found the WDH made the ride a bit smoother, as it helped keep the rear end "dive" from being too much, plus it seemed to help a bit with trailer sway. So now I am towing a 26' travel trailer (that we bought) that is 5,000 dry with a Ram 1500 that can tow 10,000. I use a WDH that I bought at Harbor Freight for $200 on sale, and is rated to 10,000. I heard all kinds of horror stories about Harbor Freight and their quality (or the lack thereof) so I was a little apprehensive. I can't tell the difference between the WDH the rental place charged me to rent, and the Harbor Freight Tools WDH I purchased. I've been on six trips for a total of 1,200 miles towing my trailer with no issues. Just know that if you go that route, you will have to put the WDH together yourself. If I can do it, anybody can do it. You will need to invest in a couple of oversize wrenches because the bolts and nuts are sized beyond what is in the typical wrench set. If you'd rather not go that route, honestly, $350 installed isn't exactly a rip off in my humble opinion.
2017 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 1500 Hemi 5.7 3:92 axle ratio
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

Please remember that it is not all about what you can pull but what you can pull safely. Our WDH was set up by Can Am. I had to make a near panick stop on our trip last month. Standing somewhat hard on the brakes yielded a smooth, straight stop. I am forever grateful that we are set up correctly.