Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
Now that is some info I can use! I didn't know if it was practical to bring along a BBQ grill.
BBQ is the way we cook most of the time, breakfast I use the coleman stove (3 burner white gas I bought in 1972). You mentioned you wanted to keep the inside of the trailer clean smelling, cook outside. We seldom use the trailer stove burners for anything but heating water, which we use for washing dishes, which we do outside the trailer. We are still tent campers at heart.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Now when you use the 2x6 boards, when you have to put some under wheels on one side do you back up onto them or do you put a jack under the axles?

Does anyone ever use a level at the site before they back in to get an idea of how many boards will be needed under the tires?
Like SmokeyWren I put the trailer wheels where I want to park and stop. This is where you want to have the trailer positioned in the campsite. I do not use a 4" level on the floor of the trailer as I go by the two levels I have on the left front corner of the trailer. Those bubbles have been positioned to be level according to the bubble level I use in the refrigerator freezer. I am also aware that those outside levels are on with sticky stuff and may have moved a bit, that is why I always use the bubble level in the freezer. The bubble levels on the trailer are graduated in inches (approx.) so if the left side is low a bubble I know I need to raise the left side of the trailer about 1". At 1" I may use the Lynx blocks because they are closer to an inch then the 2x6, either way I put the blocks or 2x6 next to the tires. I then pull forward and my wife puts the blocks or 2x6 in line behind the tires so I can back straight up onto them, she stops me (hopefully) when the tires are on them. I back up onto the blocks or 2x6 for a couple of reasons, 1, it easier for me to see where my trailer tires are and 2, most of the time your trailer is backed in to the site as far back as you can to leave room for the TV. Sometimes you need to raise the side up more so you drive off and add another. After my side to side is level I check the freezer bubble, if that is good I chock the trailer tires and unhook, then level front to rear. No reason to use a jack to raise the trailer to level, several reasons on why not to. A lot of good advice on this post on leveling your trailer, find what works best for you and use it. One thing I would recommend is that you develop a set routine for hooking and unhooking your trailer. Do it the same way every time no matter where you are, no matter how how cold it is, how hard it is raining or how much of a hurry you are in, do it the same way every time. Do not be distracted by the person who wants to talk to you or help you, especially when you are hooking up.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #31

For a weekend warrior, is it worth the trouble to get a portable dish (satellite TV)?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #32

Quote:
For a weekend warrior, is it worth the trouble to get a portable dish (satellite TV)?
I suggest to get a better answer on this you should start a new thread.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #33

Quote:
We are weekend warriors and ended up getting the Dish Tailgater, much easier for us to get the TV set up
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think so, but then we don't watch much TV - even though we have DirecTV satellite TV service at home.

We have most of the parts required to set up our satellite dish in the woods. Dish on a tipod, long cable, trailer wired for cable TV, and DirecTV satellite service. All we need to make it do-able is the electronic black box required to aim the dish at the satellite. Trying to set up the dish without that black box is an exercise of futility.

But since we have more important things to do when camping, we haven't bothered to set up the TV to receive satellite service. So if the TV antenna on the RV won't pull in a local station, we don't bother to watch TV. We do take good books with us on camping trips, and usually read in bed from bedtime until lights out.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #35

I rip DVD's and save them to a flash drive which I can plug into my DVD/Bluray player and then I can watch movies any time I want. Another suggestion for you Directv home users or any TV service with a DVR is that you could record hours and hours of shows, movies, whatever while at home, then simply unhook the DVR from the house setup and take it with you camping. You should be able to hook it up to the camper TV and play anything on it that you had previously recorded at home...you don't need the dish or service to do that.
Bruce
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
I rip DVD's and save them to a flash drive which I can plug into my DVD/Bluray player and then I can watch movies any time I want. Another suggestion for you Directv home users or any TV service with a DVR is that you could record hours and hours of shows, movies, whatever while at home, then simply unhook the DVR from the house setup and take it with you camping. You should be able to hook it up to the camper TV and play anything on it that you had previously recorded at home...you don't need the dish or service to do that.
Bruce
Cool idea, never thought of that! Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Now that is some info I can use! I didn't know if it was practical to bring along a BBQ grill.
I'm new at this Trailing camping myself (our TT is 1 year old now) and I went through 5 different camp stoves before I found one I really like. I got an outside "camping kitchen" table and a coleman combo stove which does grilling on one side, and stove on the other.

Everytime I "cook" inside the trailer, the smoke alarm goes off. And I really got tired of that quickly
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhendr View Post
Everytime I "cook" inside the trailer, the smoke alarm goes off. And I really got tired of that quickly
Doesn't your RV have an exhaust fan in a vent-a-hood over the stovetop? Mine works great to get rid of any smoke before the smoke alarm goes off.

But the racket the fan makes is almost as bad as the smoke alarm going off. So we rarely use it unless really needed to suck any smoke out of the kitchenette.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #39

Yes, it has the vent hood, and a window near the stove as well. Neither of which seem to prevent the slightess element of smoke from triggering the smoke detector. I don't know if I'd call that a design flaw (the closeness or over sensitivity of the smoke detector), but I think I'd rather know that it works, than just assume. It can be annoying however, and the wife (and dogs) give me funny looks when the alarm goes off while cooking inside <grin>.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #40

I'd install a new smoke alarm. There just a standard house alarm and there cheap. Sounds like yours has a problem.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Looking for advice from fellow weekend warriors. For a close weekend outing, my parents used to go out on Thursday night and set up? If I did this would you just level up and leave electric, water etc for the next night? What about things like dishes, save them for later or just use paper? Should we tear down on Sunday or wait till Monday on a close outing?

On a close outing would you stock the fridge on Thursday or Friday?

I have a 23' Terry Bumper hitch. I have never helped with the leveling, but it seems fairly straightforward. Unhitched, use the jack to level front to back and then stabilizers for side to side. Check electric with ohm meter, turn off breaker inside, plug in, power up. Use water regulator on hose.
I have 3 state parks & 1 boondocks spot close within 20 min to 1 hour away. I found out a couple of years ago to go Thursday after work, by myself, and set everything up. Back in, check level side to side, if OK then unhook. I have the Lego blocks if needed, but some 2x6 or 8 works fine as well. Then do the final level, put the slide out, plug the power in and turn the A/C on then pop a top. Worked up a sweat by then. I get to man camp for a night lol. Hook up the RV500 grill to the camper and burn meat usually a nice rib eye, have a few suds set up the TVs and tune them in or get the satellite set up. I get up early enough to go to work Friday.

Come Friday after work, together, or in separate cars, gwamaw & grandson go to camp that is all setup & ready. Gwamaw (as GS pronounces it) can go shopping or home since its close. IE: young grandkids can sometimes be to much to want to stay another night .
In that case I get to man camp some more.

Paper plates burn well. Plastic shopping bags hold garbage. The camper is always plugged in and cold. (beer) I just take inventory and replace whats needed or what we plan to eat. I stop at a store along the way if I forgot something.

I break camp Sunday morning, dump the tanks and get home in time for the game or race.

On road trips to keep things light, we shop and load the fridge when we get close to camp.

Have fun