Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #15

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Dollar Zone has some 6" levels with a magnet on the bottom. For $2, we have one for inside and one for outside. Both our phones have the bubble level app as well.

We put the fridge on propane the day before as well. Like others, DH often takes the TT to work and I meet him there after I finish work and leave my car.

We back in, level up, and we do hook up water and electric if available, or stop before the campground and get water - we have 2 rest stops near us on I77 with dump stations and water. We light the hot water heater.

I often forego awning and pretty campsite setups until the next day if we roll in late. I have a 4 person popup Coleman tent from Wally's that goes up after the water and electric hookup, and use it as an outbuilding, so anything that is being stored in my tiny TT goes in there. So far, we have not stayed at any campground that frowns upon or charges for a tent in addition to a TT, but there are some out there that won't allow it. (I would be happy to put the tent in front of the trailer instead of behind it on the grass. My thinking is that my 14ft. trailer and 10ft wide tent is still taking up less real estate than most others.)

We have it down to a science with tasks for both of us. We could theoretically hit the hay half an hour after backing in.

I would be happy with paper bowls and plates and eating cereal and canned soup all weekend, but DH likes to do big meals with lots of bells and whistles. That is the most wearisome thing for me to prep and clean up everything while being frugal with water and running in and out of the TT- even with 2 people helping, it is not fun for me. But he so enjoys it and he humors my TT mania, so it is part of the package. We have melmac dishes and sturdy paper plates and bowls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-12 WVU.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	32592  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #16

one piece of advice i could give is if you set up your camper on thurs, dont leave the water on. if using your in house pump, shut if off when you are not there. if you are at an rv park, turn off the spigot outside before you leave. i have read far too many threads of people returning only to find water pouring out of their unit because a pipe has came disconnected or broke. i generally try to store all the weight down low so as not to make the camper top heavy during travel. this includes full coolers, jugs of water, can goods , beer ect. i find the shower stall is a good spot for some of these items. keeps them low and if a cooler leaks a bit, no harm done.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
one piece of advice i could give is if you set up your camper on thurs, dont leave the water on. if using your in house pump, shut if off when you are not there. if you are at an rv park, turn off the spigot outside before you leave. i have read far too many threads of people returning only to find water pouring out of their unit because a pipe has came disconnected or broke. i generally try to store all the weight down low so as not to make the camper top heavy during travel. this includes full coolers, jugs of water, can goods , beer ect. i find the shower stall is a good spot for some of these items. keeps them low and if a cooler leaks a bit, no harm done.
X2

I do the same thing.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
The Dollar Zone has some 6" levels with a magnet on the bottom. For $2, we have one for inside and one for outside. Both our phones have the bubble level app as well.

We put the fridge on propane the day before as well. Like others, DH often takes the TT to work and I meet him there after I finish work and leave my car.

We back in, level up, and we do hook up water and electric if available, or stop before the campground and get water - we have 2 rest stops near us on I77 with dump stations and water. We light the hot water heater.

I often forego awning and pretty campsite setups until the next day if we roll in late. I have a 4 person popup Coleman tent from Wally's that goes up after the water and electric hookup, and use it as an outbuilding, so anything that is being stored in my tiny TT goes in there. So far, we have not stayed at any campground that frowns upon or charges for a tent in addition to a TT, but there are some out there that won't allow it. (I would be happy to put the tent in front of the trailer instead of behind it on the grass. My thinking is that my 14ft. trailer and 10ft wide tent is still taking up less real estate than most others.)

We have it down to a science with tasks for both of us. We could theoretically hit the hay half an hour after backing in.

I would be happy with paper bowls and plates and eating cereal and canned soup all weekend, but DH likes to do big meals with lots of bells and whistles. That is the most wearisome thing for me to prep and clean up everything while being frugal with water and running in and out of the TT- even with 2 people helping, it is not fun for me. But he so enjoys it and he humors my TT mania, so it is part of the package. We have melmac dishes and sturdy paper plates and bowls.
I like your style.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #19

Those level apps are pretty accurate, never thought about it?

Have any of you fellow weekend warriors ever used the (propane fired) oven in the camper? Ours doesn't looks like it has ever been used (and it is a 1983 model).

Also, I was considering using a little 2 burner stove top that I have using a small tank to feed it. The advantage to that is we could cook outside over propane and not heat up the camper. Disadvantage just one more thing to lug around. Would it be worth the hassle or should I see if I can hook it up to the propane on the camper?
Cjnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #20

I used to have a pop up and always cooked on a coleman 2 burner propane stove. It had a two burner stove inside but I pulled it out when I bought it. I have since sold that and bought a 2011 TT that I pick up this spring. I plan on doing 99% of my cooking outside still. Maybe on cold days, I will do some inside but my thought is that I don't want to subject my TT to the smoke and grease. The Microwave will get a work out though. I have a spare 20# propane tank with a "Tee" so that I can hook up both the propane Coleman stove and a small propane grill. The grill and stove both weigh less than 10 pounds together. The spare propane tank adds weight but then it is a backup for the TT tank if it runs out.
Bruce
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #21

I've never used the oven. I have heard that if you do you should buy a pizza stone and put it in on the bottom shelf for more even cooking. Other wise the oven is so small it tends to burn things to the bottom of whatever pan your baking in.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I bought my first camper in 1968, and I don't remember ever using the oven in the camper. And we rarely use the stovetop except for breakfast eggs. (Breakfast bacon gets nuked in the microwave). Weather permitting, any cooking of hamburgers or steaks is done on a grill outside the camper. Plus since microwave ovens became available 20+ years ago we use the microwave a lot to heat water or soup or canned goods such as chili or beans, or something already cooked we brought with us. Such as a big container of sausage gumbo and a separate container of brown rice. When camping, our normal lunch and dinner meal is a ham&cheese sandwich with all the trimmings (lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard or Miracle Whip instead of mayo) plus fresh fruit on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia
...but DH likes to do big meals with lots of bells and whistles. That is the most wearisome thing for me to prep and clean up everything while being frugal with water and running in and out of the TT- even with 2 people helping, it is not fun for me.
I'm sure DW would explain to me that if I mess it up, I clean it up. And if I want something besides a microwaved meal or ham samwich, I'm welcome to do all the prep and clean up. She's on vacation from her housewife duties.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #23

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice above. After a few trips you'll be a seasoned veteran. Good luck...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #24

I carry 2 2''x6' boards that I use when the site is really not level. I use the lynx blocks also, but the boards work better for me when we are in a dirt campsite. I used a bubble level in my freezer to level my trailer, then I put on those sticky bubble levels on the corner of my trailer. When I park I go buy those outside bubble levels, but I always check the bubble level in my freezer. Of course I am the only guy I know that checks the lug nuts on the trailer every time before I pull out.

As for backing up solo, that GOAL advise is the best, but it is always better to have someone back you up. The person who backs you up must be paying attention to the trailer as well as the TV, the trailer isn't the only thing that can hit a tree. I agree with keeping the kids and the dog in the TV until the wife has backed you up and you are ready to level. If the kids are out in the campsite your wife will be watching them more then she will be watching you (they can't help it) and before you know it, that tree jumps out and catches your trailer or TV I speak from experience.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
Those level apps are pretty accurate, never thought about it?

Have any of you fellow weekend warriors ever used the (propane fired) oven in the camper? Ours doesn't looks like it has ever been used (and it is a 1983 model).

Also, I was considering using a little 2 burner stove top that I have using a small tank to feed it. The advantage to that is we could cook outside over propane and not heat up the camper. Disadvantage just one more thing to lug around. Would it be worth the hassle or should I see if I can hook it up to the propane on the camper?
The wife pretty much takes a vacation from cooking when we are camping, wait, she doe that at home too but she does like the microwave and uses that a lot. We do use our oven occasionally and it works fine, you just have to get used to how it lights because it takes about 30 seconds and I am always afraid I am going to blow the trailer up. I do almost all of our cooking outside, I use a coleman stove and a propane barbecue.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post

The wife pretty much takes a vacation from cooking when we are camping, wait, she doe that at home too but she does like the microwave and uses that a lot. We do use our oven occasionally and it works fine, you just have to get used to how it lights because it takes about 30 seconds and I am always afraid I am going to blow the trailer up. I do almost all of our cooking outside, I use a coleman stove and a propane barbecue.
Now that is some info I can use! I didn't know if it was practical to bring along a BBQ grill.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I carry 2 2''x6' boards that I use when the site is really not level. I use the lynx blocks also, but the boards work better for me when we are in a dirt campsite. I used a bubble level in my freezer to level my trailer, then I put on those sticky bubble levels on the corner of my trailer. When I park I go buy those outside bubble levels, but I always check the bubble level in my freezer. Of course I am the only guy I know that checks the lug nuts on the trailer every time before I pull out.

As for backing up solo, that GOAL advise is the best, but it is always better to have someone back you up. The person who backs you up must be paying attention to the trailer as well as the TV, the trailer isn't the only thing that can hit a tree. I agree with keeping the kids and the dog in the TV until the wife has backed you up and you are ready to level. If the kids are out in the campsite your wife will be watching them more then she will be watching you (they can't help it) and before you know it, that tree jumps out and catches your trailer or TV I speak from experience.
Now when you use the 2x6 boards, when you have to put some under wheels on one side do you back up onto them or do you put a jack under the axles?

Does anyone ever use a level at the site before they back in to get an idea of how many boards will be needed under the tires?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
Does anyone ever use a level at the site before they back in to get an idea of how many boards will be needed under the tires?
The quickest way is to put the trailer axles approximately where they will be when all set up. Then use the 4' carpenter's level on the floor of the trailer to see how much you will need to raise the tires on the low side. With a bit of experience in reading the level, you'll know within less than an inch how many boards or leveling blocks you need to add under the tires on the low side.

On mine, if the end of the level is two inches off the floor when the bubble indicates the level is level, then you need about four inches of leveling blocks or lumber under the tires on the low side.

Then either pull up or back up about a few feet and place the leveling blocks where you want them, then pull or back the trailer onto the levelers.

Then double-check with the level again to be sure you interpreted the reading correctly.

After it's level side to side, then chock the wheels so they can't move, then level the floor of the trailer front to rear.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote