Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipes View Post
Reports I've read seem to indicate that the 12000 bars are too rigid for a lighter trailer and don't flex properly when meeting with bumps and dips such as entering a driveway, fuel station, speed bumps, pot holes etc.
Makes sense. My only personal experience is with a Reese Strait-Line hitch with 800-pound trunnion bars, dragging an "ultralight" travel trailer with 500 to 650 pounds tongue weight. It handles great, and no problems over dips and bumps, and no bent RV or TV frames. So that's an actual tongue weight of 62.5% to 81.25% of the hitch's tongue weight capacity. I suspect as little as around 60% would be fine, but maybe less than 60% of capacity would result in the problems you mentioned.

A hitch with 1500 pounds tongue weight rating with 900 pounds actual tongue weight would be loaded to 60 percent capacity (900 divided by 1500 = 60%). So I suspect Cjnfamily would be okay with that hitch when towing their TT if the tongue weight were 900 pounds or more. Backing off to a 1200 pounds spring bar rating would result in the hitch being loaded to 75% of capacity. I'm almost certain that 75% would work great with none of the problems you mentioned.

Replacement round spring bars for a Reese/Drawtite hitch would cost Cjnfamily about $160 from ETrailer.com . Or replacement trunion bars for the better Reese/Drawtite WD hitches would cost about $220. He can decide if the cost is worth the risk of bent frames using the heaver spring bars.

Replacement Round Spring Bar for Reese Weight Distribution System - 1,200 lbs TW

Trunnion Style Weight Distribution Spring Bar Kit

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #16

Ya I suppose I should have proof read that a little. I meant a weight distribution hitch rated for 1200 tongue and 12000 trailer weight may be too rigid for a light weight trailer.

I have a trailer that's 3800 lbs with roughly 390 TW loaded. I have a WD system rated for 6000 lb trailer and 600 TW. I was given the option of 4000/400 but I didn't want to be that close to the max rating but I was also told by the dealer (and an independent trailer builder) that you can use a hitch rated higher but not to go too overboard due to the rigidity issues.

Sorry if the last post was confusing.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post

What in the world would you use 12000lb bars on? Using the 10& rule for tounge weight, that would make the trailer 120K (60tons). I wouldn't want that behind my PU. Did you mean 1200lb?
I dunno, was just looking at buying used... I am a newbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1563087042.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	33498  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
What in the world would you use 12000lb bars on? Using the 10% rule for tounge weight, that would make the trailer 120K (60tons). I wouldn't want that behind my PU. Did you mean 1200lb?
Since you didn't include a smilie, then you weren't jerking his chain?

Receivers and weight-distributing hitches are rated for both max gross trailer weight (GTW) and max tongue weight (TW). There are WD hitches available rated for 12,000 GTW/1,200 TW. He obviously mean the spring bars for a hitch with 12,000 pounds GTW.

But you knew that.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Since you didn't include a smilie, then you weren't jerking his chain?

Receivers and weight-distributing hitches are rated for both max gross trailer weight (GTW) and max tongue weight (TW). There are WD hitches available rated for 12,000 GTW/1,200 TW. He obviously mean the spring bars for a hitch with 12,000 pounds GTW.

But you knew that.
My BAD! I seldom even think about the symbals and if I did would probably pick the wrong one. I will try t o do better.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote