Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
so the dealer is willing to provide the hitch & install of my choice, well they were balking at the idea of a Propride. We spent two months at an Oregon State park and I was looking for a "fancy" WDH that would be better then the dual cam system I was using.
Tell them you want the Hensley Arrow.

Buce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad04 View Post
I use Equalizer 4 point system towing a 30 foot travel trailer. It works very well and is easy to hitch and unhitch.
adamxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #17

I have a Hensley Arrow and love it. The hitch lives up to the claims made by the company. You will hear a couple complaints from people about the hitch. 1st it is expensive but so is your tow vehicle and your tt. When you think about the investment made between those two you realize the HA isn't all that much compared to what you have already invested in. 2nd you will hear a lot of people complain about it being a pita to hook up and it is the first few times. I am on the second season of using mine and can hookup just as fast as any other wd setup.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Tell them you want the Hensley Arrow.
The Hensley Arrow is a fine hitch, but it costs a little more than the newer, improved design by the same hitch developer, Jim Hensley. If the RV store was balking at paying for a ProPride, they'll have a conniption fit at having to pay for a Hensley Arrow.

Read the articles on the ProPride website to learn more:
Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | ProPride, Inc.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #19

We just traded our 5th wheel Rockwood for a new Sunset trail 32RL TT. This morning I ordered the Andersen No Sway hitch to use with it. I have had the equalizer and the dual cam in the past and both worked fine. Based on many real world reports from people on the various message boards, I believe Andersen has come up with a better mouse trap. I'll know for sure next week.

Mike
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Camper View Post
We just traded our 5th wheel Rockwood for a new Sunset trail 32RL TT. This morning I ordered the Andersen No Sway hitch to use with it. I have had the equalizer and the dual cam in the past and both worked fine. Based on many real world reports from people on the various message boards, I believe Andersen has come up with a better mouse trap. I'll know for sure next week.

Mike
Hate to burst your bubble, but the last WD hitch I purchased was an Anderson. The problem with the Anderson is it won't transfer enough weight back to the front wheels. I was towing with a 12 Ram 2500 and had a tongue weight of 9-950lbs. I had to crank the adjusting nuts really tight to get just a little weight transfer. IMO the Anderson is best suited for 5-700lb tongue weights.
It is a very nice well built WD hitch. But it's short comings are in weight transfer.
Lots of reviews about the Anderson on these forums.
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information
Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches - Airstream Forums
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but the last WD hitch I purchased was an Anderson. The problem with the Anderson is it won't transfer enough weight back to the front wheels. I was towing with a 12 Ram 2500 and had a tongue weight of 9-950lbs. I had to crank the adjusting nuts really tight to get just a little weight transfer. IMO the Anderson is best suited for 5-700lb tongue weights.
It is a very nice well built WD hitch. But it's short comings are in weight transfer.
Lots of reviews about the Anderson on these forums.
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information
Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches - Airstream Forums
My bubble is not burst. There are far more positive reviews than negative across many forums. I'll make my own assessment next week.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Camper View Post

Mike
Please let me (us) know how you like the Andersen. I am interested if there are issues on hooking up when the tv & trailer are at an angle and how it hooks up if the tv & trailer are not level when hooking up.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
Please let me (us) know how you like the Andersen. I am interested if there are issues on hooking up when the tv & trailer are at an angle and how it hooks up if the tv & trailer are not level when hooking up.
Will do

Mike
Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #24

Anderson for the last 2 seasons

I have the Anderson and it performs well for me. TT is 2013 Kodiak 242RESL (5,500# loaded with my junk). With storage bin loaded for trip, the tongue weight according to sureline is 700#. Tow vehicle is MB-GL450 rated for 7,500#, 600#tongue. CAT says I'm weight distributing 300# (160# to the front, 140# back to the TT). All of this was confirmed using 3 separate CAT weightings (car alone, TT+Car no WDH, TT+Car with WDH).

My usual tow speed is 60 to 65mph on the interstates, 55 on the back roads.

You need to pick up a Torque wrench at Harbor Freight ($20) to make tightening the tension nuts easier.

Best thing about the Anderson, the pieces store easier and weigh less. Worst thing is effort it takes to tighten the tension nuts. Suitability to task: Does a good job distributing and controlling sway.

Bottom line. With what I know now, I'd still buy it again.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #25

I went with the Husky Centerline WDH, it is definitely heavy and there is a learning curve with hooking & unhooking. We encountered high gusty side winds earlier in the day, the combo handled very well, later on the winds forced us off the interstate, no sense pushing it. No greasy bars to deal with is a plus, but the hitch & bars are heavy which is a negative.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #26

I have a KZ-190 it's '22 trailer. I took the advice from a friend of mine who owns a company that moves oil field equipment including drilling rigs. I installed air bags. Push the button and up goes the hitch, the front of the Pathfinder goes down an inch to an inch to an inch and a half and the trailer goes down about a half inch. Weight distribution anyone? I just backup, hitch up, put on the sway bar, push the button, and off we go! I don't need to put on a 100 pound hitch, snap in solid steel bars or connect chains. Living life with less and using the KISS method. It's not for everyone! The best system to us is the one you like!
Merry Christmas Everyone!
Marky
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
I have a KZ-190 it's '22 trailer. I took the advice from a friend of mine who owns a company that moves oil field equipment including drilling rigs. I installed air bags. Push the button and up goes the hitch, the front of the Pathfinder goes down an inch to an inch to an inch and a half and the trailer goes down about a half inch. Weight distribution anyone? I just backup, hitch up, put on the sway bar, push the button, and off we go! I don't need to put on a 100 pound hitch, snap in solid steel bars or connect chains. Living life with less and using the KISS method. It's not for everyone! The best system to us is the one you like!
Merry Christmas Everyone!
Marky
Only issue I see is that you may be over your receivers rating. Normally receivers have a WD and non-WD rating. Guessing your tongue weight is near 400-450lbs since it's 376lbs dry.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #28

Hitch

Have the Equalizer 4-point W/sway control rated at 12,000 lb. Pulled 33' TT at 10,000lbs with Ram 2500, Cummins 5.9 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada to British Columbia, Canada and are now in Arizona. Love the way it works no problems at all.

Tags
weight